Thread: Ads b in Alaska?

Default Ads b in Alaska?

Curious if we'll eventually need ads b? I'm putting in new radios and my pitot static is good for another two years, should I plan on adsb out next year? I don't usually go south of Fairbanks unless I have to, and do my best to avoid Anchorage. Shameless plug if anyone is looking for kx155s etc. haha

You will still be able to fly to lake hood without it. It is kind of nice to have but so many planes up here do not have or use transponders that it will not show a lot of the traffic unless it gets picked up by local radar. I think in the next ten years it will move from a ground based system to a space based system then it might be worth it for a weather standpoint alone.
    DENNY

The only place you will need ads-b in Alaska is in, above and under the Anchorage class C.
    The only difference it will make to anyone is you won't be able to do a north departure out of Lake hood without it, since that is under the class c, where you currently don't need a transponder but will need ads-b in 2020.