Thread: total weight of Caribou?

Default total weight of Caribou?

Hey yall I got a couple questions...

I was wondering if some of the guys/gals who have killed a caribou could chime in and shed some light on how much an average bull would weigh completely boned out?

and also how much the head would weight with an avg rack...

any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Richie

Talking bou wt

I'd say that an average boned (good job) bou should be around 100 lbs. Antlers and cape (with head still in) should be around 35-40 lbs. One can double that for the bulls we shoot...just joking! Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Thumbs up

Hey Richie... Caribou look bigger then they really are. They have lots of guts in there, and once they're out and the hide is off, it's like they're not "that" big at all. Boned out meat with the head/cape will be a pack weighing around 135#- 150#. Walk slow and Good luck...

Default caribou wt.

I agree with swampdonkey, what looks an unreal bull is really a huge rack with a lots of guts. I have dropped animals that I swear will tip the meat scale at over 200 pounds but rarely reach 150.

This is how I look at it:
    I try to pack out a animal in 3 trips (no cape) and this is how I break it down Trip 1 & 2 + 1 front and 1 hind ľ, trip 3 is for the rack and all of the loose cuts and rib rack. I am no big guy so I count on a pack that weighs around 70-80 pounds max so total meat on the bone will be about 125-160 max.

Throw all of that out the window when you shoot your first moose. Make sure that you can see the boat before you squeeze that trigger and write off the rest of the day for sure!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Page 26 of the 2007-2008 Alaska hunting regualtions has a chart that shows approximate weight. For caribou is hows live weight at 500 pounds, carcass at 300 and boned out carcass at 171 pounds. I think they are a little heavy. A really big bull may go that high but most won't go over 150. Actually, they get heavier as the pack out gets longer. We shot three at one time and on the 4th and 5th trips, it was REAL heavy.
    Just as a reminder, remember there are a lot of areas in Alaska you cannot bone out the meat in the field, it must remain on the bone.

thanks guys I really appreciate the good information

Richie

Default cutting meat nad the field

I had a client ask this very question this week. IN unit 23 the law reads that the meat must come out of the field on the bone but can me boned out and boxed once it reaches any state maintained air strip. My guys are float hunting down to Noatak village and will bone the meat out in Noatak making the wt. of the freight lighter back to Kotz and saving them a little money.

I donít know if this is the way it is interpreted across the entire state but that is the way it is handled up here.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com