Thread: Lower Susitna conditions

Default Lower Susitna conditions

Hi guys,
    I am planning a trip down to the lower Susitna area and want to cross the river near Dow Island. How are snow conditions out there now? Anyone been out on the river ice? Thanks for any info you have.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am planning a trip down to the lower Susitna area and want to cross the river near Dow Island. How are snow conditions out there now? Anyone been out on the river ice? Thanks for any info you have.
    Mac

Lived on Lower Susitna for almost twenty years now and don't know any Dow Island around here? There's Bell, Big, and Barrel but don't know know Dow Island. Lots of open water down here. and fast moving water. The lower you go the more unstable it gets.

Boy it sounds to me like a guy could really get in a bind out there.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Boy it sounds to me like a guy could really get in a bind out there.
    If you stay on the packed trail on the river it's alright. Just been too warm the last few years and things aren't what they used to be! Sigh!

Thanks for the heads up, yes I meant to say Bell Island.

[QUOTE=akmac;1622421]Thanks for the heads up, yes I meant to say Bell Island.[/QUOTE

If your coming from Pt. Mac on the gas line and then go straight across be careful, Big opening and thin ice. You can follow the packed trail up river and then down the west channel past Alexander Creek down to the gas line if it is to open. If your moose hunting good luck, been plenty of moose in the area!

Thanks Alexander, I was planning on coming in on the Point Mac gasline and I had heard that there was a large opening just below Bell. I'll check out the packed trail upriver and the west channel. And yes I am headed to Beluga looking for moose.

Flying over that going to work and back looking down on it will scare the hell out of you. This coming from a guy that plays on open water for fun. Stick to a well traveled crossing would be my best advice.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Flying over that going to work and back looking down on it will scare the hell out of you. This coming from a guy that plays on open water for fun. Stick to a well traveled crossing would be my best advice.
    When I get back in a few weeks I have to haul fuel, propane, and lumber over that trail! EEEK!

Of course it cant be any scarier than today's missile alert here on the Big Island! Cops were all over town telling everyone to get inside and cover! I deciDed to sit on the Lania and smoke a stogie! Didn't think there was enough time for Hanky Panky! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Of course it cant be any scarier than today's missile alert here on the Big Island! Cops were all over town telling everyone to get inside and cover! I deciDed to sit on the Lania and smoke a stogie! Didn't think there was enough time for Hanky Panky! LOL
    That had to be crazy down there no doubt. I can't imagine the chaos.