Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No hot food on a trip

Have you looked into protein powder and weight gainers?

Yeah I run that stuff now (not weight gainers). But ISO Pure and cut it with Keto Cocoa. I'll fill my camel pack with a scope or two....just HAVE to wash it at the end of the day. I left one in the boat for a bit....oops...it started to swell....

Learned that same lesson.....now I bring a shaker bottle.

I think some people get to obsessed with the ounces they are carrying, especially when omitting food to save weight.
    I could be wrong, but isn't the big picture to be able to hike as far as possible if needed? Not to have the lightest pack?
    There has to be a balance of bringing enough food (weight) and having enough energy for physical labor.
    I would think if you cut food down you are not going to have enough energy and you are more at risk having problems if an emergency pops up and need to stay a couple extra days.

Well I've taken plenty of goats on Baranof.....All salt to mountain. Where you going into? I might be able to help. I've hunted from Fish Bay down to Necker......Now I'm in Ketchikan. Food stuff...Yea makes sure your electrolyte balance is maintained. Don't change your dietary strategy too much from domestic life to mountain life. Know your body! If your an athlete you should understand your performance requirements. The physiology of the hunt is intertwined with the psychology of it. Maintain moral and you will maintain your endurance. I've traversed mountains on Baranof and done magnum work days. I won't say what to eat just that you should enjoy it and digest it well. I eat huge meals at night and morning....snack and drink electrolyte all day taking frequent small breaks. They are my reward for a job well done. Good luck and be prepared. It's January and I'm already hitting the weights for this upcoming August.

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    I think some people get to obsessed with the ounces they are carrying, especially when omitting food to save weight.
    I could be wrong, but isn't the big picture to be able to hike as far as possible if needed? Not to have the lightest pack?
    There has to be a balance of bringing enough food (weight) and having enough energy for physical labor.
    I would think if you cut food down you are not going to have enough energy and you are more at risk having problems if an emergency pops up and need to stay a couple extra days.
    It's not about having less food. It is replacing calories with better options. Weight to calorie ratio with nut butters, jerky, and dried fruit, I can take more fuel with less weight. Not counting the elimination of a stove and cooking items.

I say go for it. I don't like hot meals when I'm backpack hunting. While it's great getting feedback and opinions from others, only you know how your body reacts and performs with various foods and nutrition. Some need more protein, some more carbs, some dehydrate quicker than others. It' kinda like the "what's the best boot question", only YOUR feet can answer that. Try out some different foods during strenuous training, you'll learn quickly.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Read an interesting article how mountain climbers have been taking fruit cake on there climbs.full of nutrition and lasts along time. Probably not the lightest of food but just a thought for a little different taste on a hunt. Wouldn't be the same old dried up grainy taste.

Just eat what the goats do, cold meal you don't gotta carry and already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If you want something warmed a bit anyway, try this:

Back when I was a kid down on the Mexican border lunch "sandwiches" were usually burritos with whatever in them. Wrapped in waxed paper and/or foil depending on contents, they were a constant in our young lives. Long about half an hour before time to eat we'd drop them down inside our shirts to rest against our bellies and warm up before time to eat.

To this day the rustle of waxed paper or foil makes me hungry for a good burrito as those wrapped treats rustled around inside your shirt while you waited for time to eat. Belly-warmed burrito is still my favorite lunch on a river or hunt to this day. My favorite lunch drink is coffee. Warming the water against your belly for instant is surprisingly satisfying too.
    Been there done that when I lived in NM, good stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by blindninja907 View Post
    Pemmican. Check out the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCdWe6sGnI
    Another good idea is pemmincan

I like GORP and MRE's. Freddies has a good selection of dried stuff to make your own GORP

I have done hunts on pbj or instants mh but i always miss my jetboil .......
    ďI come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. ď Fred Bear

I do wonder if the notion of food as fuel is going to work out to be honest. In theory you can get a higher calorie to weight ratio with something like almond butter, but in my experience, I need something to fill me up. 1/2 cup of almond butter has the same calories as a full package of mountain house, but I suspect I'd be hungry again shortly after eating the almond butter, where the Mtn House would carry me a lot further. When I'm hungry, that affects my morale and my eagerness to go over the next ridge.

That said, for the short duration of your mission, you could probably get away with PB&J just fine. Another factor to consider is your water weight in food. Assuming you're packing a purifier (which should be a net weight savings over packing water), you're really only talking another 16 ounces to bring a jet boil and fuel. Then the water content in your food can come off the mountain for oatmeal, MH, coffee.

Another good trick with Mountain House is to add a package of instant potatoes to the mix. Tastes great, dilutes that mountain house GI factor and adds another 450 calories to the meal. There's no harm in trying it for a 2 day trip to see how you like it, but any longer than that and I think you might want to consider a different approach. Life is too short to eat food you don't like though, get stuff that will carry you through and that you will look forward to eating at the end of a long day--

In the last 6 months I have gone away from eating carbs too. I'm in ketosis 90% of the time now. So the whole high fat thing I guess is always tailored to my life style too.

Iím on a availability diet. Whateverís available. Iím eating. Off season is my plump up time. Iím still down 40lbs from when I was on the weights and slope food.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123