Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No hot food on a trip

Hey Stranger, "Seal oil is the secret to Arctic fireless camping".

I believe what you are saying is true about the seal oil. But, having tried it on a few occasions I will pass on it, at the end of the day it still tastes like seal oil!

I married a little Yukon River gal 43 years ago and her taste buds are tougher then mine. Fishy tasting fish and gamey tasting game does not seem to bother her, as she was raised on fish, beaver, muskrats, spring migratory eggs and birds, etc. But, I spent 14 years in Iowa with good beef and ain't as tough as her.

When younger I usually hunted out and lived out of a back pack and thought sleeping on tree roots and rocks under a tarp was fun, not any more!

So I just grabbed what ever packaged food that had a long shelf life was available and stuffed it in my pack. I managed to miss the "beaver fever" some how and always tried to boil questionable water. Now days I appreciate a warm meal at night, but am fine with cold food the rest of the time.

Except for coffee, I do appreciate and enjoy sipping on a 12 oz. mug of very good hot black coffee when I wake up, just love it.

My only fix I need is a hot drink in the morning. Those MRE drink heaters will fix that. Or a small fire and a tin cup that hangs off the pack.

Smoked salmon for me. I don’t have seals but salmon is another wonder food. As for calories. You can’t eat enough I don’t think. I don’t eat breakfast during Sheep season, a few granola bars around 10am and bagels cream cheese with smoked salmon or jerky sticks for lunch. But that hot mt house at the end of the day is a feel good. If you have to much weight coming out....use that stove and eat some goat meat!! Trash your unused food if you need to. Or take some salt in and salt
    That goat hide, that will drop a lot of weight for you too.

But. But. If I was doing a hunt for myself and just one. I’d go light on my shelter/gun/clothes and have plenty of food. Hot food too. Sitting in fog for three days with no warm food or drink sucks. I hunt for fun.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I’d go light on my shelter/gun/clothes and have plenty of food. Hot food too. Sitting in fog for three days with no warm food or drink sucks. I hunt for fun.
    This. Absolutely.

I’d go light on my shelter/gun/clothes and have plenty of food. Hot food too. Sitting in fog for three days with no warm food or drink sucks.
    This - for sure.

I would definitely consider it if it was a base camp/spike camp situation, but if I'm going up for the bulk, I'm taking hot food.

Back before all these fancy dehydrated foods they have now-a-days they had real food and they had top ramen. I had a trip in high country, 12,000+ feet country, all we had back then was fire and primitive camp stoves in those days so I brought a primitive camp stove since fire is too easy...plus tree line was way below 12,000+ feet! I ran out of primitive camp stove fuel around 13,000 feet and had to eat cold top ramen on the last day. I have yet to eat a single bite of top ramen to this day, cold or hot. I think if I would have had hot top ramen that day I might still eat it from time to time.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Travel light........ a pinch of salt and some Smoked Salmon, Ramen and Pilot Bread.

Although Ramen, Smoked Salmon and Pilot Bread has less Smoked Salmon than Smoked salmon, Pilot Bread and Ramen, but not as much Smoked Salmon in Pilot Bread, Smoked Salmon and Ramen.

Im not sure how coffee fits into this, but it does.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Travel light........ a pinch of salt and some Smoked Salmon, Ramen and Pilot Bread.

Although Ramen, Smoked Salmon and Pilot Bread has less Smoked Salmon than Smoked salmon, Pilot Bread and Ramen, but not as much Smoked Salmon in Pilot Bread, Smoked Salmon and Ramen.

Im not sure how coffee fits into this, but it does.
    Peanut butter comes between pilot bread and Ramen, followed by coffee.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

I can’t stand coffee but live forever on pilot bread!
    Master guide 212

If you're looking for an alternative to Mountain House (and really, who isn't?) for dehydrated food, Heather's Choice is expen$ive but really good, and made here in Alaska. Their salmon chowder really hits the spot on a cold wet day.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I can’t stand coffee but live forever on pilot bread!
    My last house built by headlamp during the winter on little more than pilot bread, peanut butter, and kisses from my sweetie.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    If you're looking for an alternative to Mountain House (and really, who isn't?) for dehydrated food, Heather's Choice is expen$ive but really good, and made here in Alaska. Their salmon chowder really hits the spot on a cold wet day.

I looked at it. Interesting choices... also same issue. Poor weight to calorie ratio.

I bring so much food on sheep hunts, I usually gain weight. And it's real nice having a hot drink sitting there glassing in the mountains in miserable weather conditions. I'll never skimp on food, especially the hot stuff. I just can't comprehend going only with cold food, you're tougher than me!

Hmmmm how long you gonna be gone on this goat hunt anyway, a month? One week of hunting just do what you can on the food, your not gonna fall apart in a week. Some guys go to overboard and drive themselves nuts trying to get things “just right”. When there really might be no such thing. The mountian hunters quest for perfect food, and perfect gear. The reason it’s been beat to death in every forum is because there is no “just right” answer.
    So do the best ya can, find food that you like and will keep you going. Train. Hunt. Have fun.
    Master guide 212

Hmmmm how long you gonna be gone on this goat hunt anyway, a month? One week of hunting just do what you can on the food, your not gonna fall apart in a week. Some guys go to overboard and drive themselves nuts trying to get things “just right”. When there really might be no such thing. The mountian hunters quest for perfect food, and perfect gear. The reason it’s been beat to death in every forum is because there is no “just right” answer.
    So do the best ya can, find food that you like and will keep you going. Train. Hunt. Have fun.
    Perfect scenario, hike in harvest goat day one, out day two. It's a salt to summit hike. It is a place that I have flown over and there are a lot of goats there, and none have been harvested out of there for a long time. No plane access, and it is a pain to get back in there. So I want to be as light as possible in. So I would have three days of food and I can pick my days (it is pretty much in my backyard). Also...it's the middle of winter and I am bored so this keeps me sane or starting a serious drug habit. So making spread sheets with weight of gear, food, and calorie ratios amuses me. It's kind of shocking when you put things on paper. Being able to move and still have energy makes a big difference. I missed out on a nice goat this year because I was smoked. Set up camp on the other side of the lake instead of making the stalk that night. A plane flew in two hours before dark, and dropped some guys off. They shot that goat the next morning...I am still bitter... (not that same area I want to go)

Pemmican. Check out the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCdWe6sGnI

I've tried hunting with minimal food and while it can be done, it's not fun for me. I like a hot meal at the end of the day and coffee in the AM. Now I hunt with my kids. They start eating when they get out of their sleeping bags and stop when they get back in. It's really quite unbelievable how they burn up the calories. I thought I was going to have to call in a food drop the first time I took my oldest out. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    I've tried hunting with minimal food and while it can be done, it's not fun for me. I like a hot meal at the end of the day and coffee in the AM. Now I hunt with my kids. They start eating when they get out of their sleeping bags and stop when they get back in. It's really quite unbelievable how they burn up the calories. I thought I was going to have to call in a food drop the first time I took my oldest out. Haha!
    That is the other thing, I just am never hungry. I have to force my self to slow down and eat some times. I can sit on the couch and suck down 5000 calories in a day. But on a hunt, I don't know just too tired to eat.

I eat less on hunts than I do at home too.
    Master guide 212

I think part of it is, eating/digestion takes a lot of blood and energy. I believe it is a biological response. I played football in college and was never hungry during twoadays... it was pretty common, they made us eat during meetings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast