Thread: Rangefinders...

Default Rangefinders...

Anyone know what rangefinders work the best? Just curious what ya'll have and what does and doesn't work so good. Thanks, schmidty

hey man...I got the nikon 440 and it works great...its simple point and hit a button...there aren't any crazy sub features to hit during the excitement of the hunt and end up on the menu screen or anything like that.

Richie

I agree,both the Nikon 440 or 800 are very good rangefinders for the money.For a little more you can get the Leupold one,but I am not too keen on the idea of the "ballistic compensation" idea.

Default I have the Bushnell 800

and am very happy with it, I'm sure the Nikon's are good, I was a little leary of the Bushnell at first knowing that I don't care for their scopes but it works perfectly and is also point and click simple.

Default Leupold IV

I hate Leupold in general but I did get their RX-IV range finder because it had everything I wanted in a ranngefinder for longrange and shortrange shooting. cost about $500 though.
    Last edited by Bear Buster; 07-20-2007 at 13:12. Reason: sp

I have an early Leica 800 yard rangefinder. It isn't the first release that had the problems but the reintroduced version. My wife recently bought me a Leupold not knowing I had the Leica. (A guy has to have some secrets). I don't have the Leupold in my hand but I'm sure it's on the lower end of Leupold's price range. Even though Leica's new units are supposed to be improved over what I have? The Leupold doesn't hold a candle to the Leica. I can't say one is more accurate than the other. What I can say is that if I point and shoot my Leica I get a return every time. My shaky hands may cause a return off the wrong target, but I get something. I usually get a good fix and then take another to verify the first. The Leupold? I'm lucky to get a return if I hit the target, let alone if I miss. I could reliably shoot a Chevy truck broadside at 50 or even a hundred yards, but anything smaller is a crapshoot.

That's my story. I like my old reliable Leica.

I've also got the leica (900 yard model). Great rangefinder and am happy with it but whenever I upgrade I'll never get a horizontal version ever again. You may have noticed that the new leicas are all vertical one-hand units. The one I have seems to be more shaky using it one handed (especially if you have smaller hands, like myself). Also, if you are bowhunter having one that tells actual shooting distance is an awesome feature!!

Forum Sponsor

The newest version Leica CRF's are very fast reading, good optically, water-proof and small enought to keep in your pocket.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com