Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought the Old Denali Wilderness Lodge! Info needed Please!

Supporting Member

Default Just bought the Old Denali Wilderness Lodge! Info needed Please!

I just bought the old Denali Wilderness Lodge in the Wood River Valley. We have a major chore ahead of us in fixing the place up. I am looking for any information people might have in the surrounding area, the history of the lodge, and most importantly... the hunting!
    I am very interested in the hunting heritage of the lodge and in information, pictures, etc... of the time when Lynn Castle ran it as a hunting lodge. I saw many hunters using the place last fall and still good use of the airstrip. So I'm also interested in how people use the Lodge now and what they would like to see it become. Thank You!

Can you track down the young man who was with Lynn when he crashed......???

Supporting Member

Well, I did not know there was another person in the crash. I suppose it's possible, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Can you track down the young man who was with Lynn when he crashed......???

Lee Livingston, 25, of Cody, Wyo
    https://www.upi.com/Archives/1991/06/20/Bush-pilot-syndrome-blamed-for-Alaska-plane-crashes/5696677390400/

http://www.livingston-hunts.com/about-lee-livingston-hunting-cody-wyoming-wy-elk-deer-sheep.html
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Lee Livingston, 25, of Cody, Wyo
    https://www.upi.com/Archives/1991/06/20/Bush-pilot-syndrome-blamed-for-Alaska-plane-crashes/5696677390400/

http://www.livingston-hunts.com/about-lee-livingston-hunting-cody-wyoming-wy-elk-deer-sheep.html
    Let's see if these will work if you click on them....

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1991/06...5696677390400/

http://www.livingston-hunts.com/abou...eer-sheep.html
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wow,,,,, talk about a "Blast" from the Past,,,, in 1991 I was still in the lower 48, my Hunting Partner and I were in Discussion with Lynn, about Sheep Hunting,,,, we had several conversations, and were just about ready to pull the Trigger on this Hunt,,,,, and then everything went silent, no calls back, it took awhile as I remember, to actually find out what happened,,,,,

Anyway, since I've been in Alaska, I've flown into that strip a few times now, with a buddy of mine that has Citabria Bush Plane, I know it was an "Eco" Tourism Lodge for awhile,,,,, so, what are your plans, are you a "Registered" Guide, are you going to start-up Hunts again, let us know as time goes by,,,, Best of Luck to You for Sure.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Supporting Member

Wow! Great articles! Thank you

Supporting Member

Ya, in a couple years 1991 will be thirty years ago! Time flies. There was an "Eco" lodge there last I believe (maybe why it went out of business), but for a lot of years it has been empty and abandoned except for the hunters and trappers that stay there during their respective seasons. I would like to make a spot where hunters and trappers would feel welcome to stay. I have no intention of making this another high end manicured resort, still gotta pay the bills though :question

Pm sent....,,

Great to hear. Congratulations! Just from my point of view it would be great if the lodge was more hospitable to "drop-ins" A couple of owners ago I asked about just flying down in my own plane for lunch and was told in no uncertain terms that they only served guests of the lodge. It would be nice if that changed. Fly in and drop off float hunters have been pretty much encouraged to stay off of the lodge end of the strip in the recent past. It would be good to see more "open" signs and fewer "no trespassing" signs.

Of course a few drop-in's aren't going to pay your bills, but I think there's plenty of tourists out there from all corners of the world who would love to stay there and wouldn't mind at all seeing a few locals and hunters dropping in.

That's an amazing, beautiful place and I'm really happy to hear someone is working on making a go of it again. I know you've certainly got your work cut out for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Louis Knapp

Iíve worked for and been involved in several lodges. The trick is finding your market, and then the next market for the other time of year and then the other market for the other time of year. Almost every lodge that specializes is closed most
    Of the year, exspecially ones that require airplanes to get there. Pm me if thereís anything I could to do help or offer insight if your thinking of working with guides.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Supporting Member

Hi Louis,
    Anyone who shows up at the lodge are guests of the lodge. Can't guarantee anything for lunch other than MRE at first, but eventually...
    Working on the liquor license too so if you need to wet your whistle, come on down! Love to have a few conversations and learn the history of the place and swap huntin stories

Supporting Member

If I had a TV commercial it would have a grizzled old hunter getting a manicure in one of those touristy upscale hotels they call lodges with the caption saying." Is this why you came to Alaska?"

I was in Cody about 2 weeks ago and say Lee at a local watering hole. He is doing good now days as he was not expected to ever walk again after the plane wreck. I do not have his contact info but can get it if need be after I would get his okay to give it out. I’m traveling right now so it might take couple of days. Also not on this forum every day so best to send me a PM.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Pm sent.......

Banned

I haven't gotten any pm's yet. But you best option is for you to send me and a few choice friends of mine there to test it out. You don't have to cator to us, just let us live there for a few days, perhaps even a week. In return, we can give you a review on what you need to do to make money and accommodate your guests to the maximum extent possible.

Would love to visit this place, what is the airstrip like? I fly a Cessna 150 and was wondering if I could get into and out with it. Is the lodge close to the headwaters? Iíve spent quite a bit of time around the Cody Pass area.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I'm friends with the Castle family PM me if you need a contact number.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by martenpine View Post
    I'm friends with the Castle family PM me if you need a contact number.
    Ohhh,, the Castle Bunch. Tssk tssk.

Count me out of any plans if the Castle bunch is involved. The Castle bunch think they are above anyone else. They were the hiers of the land after they ran out the Russians and the natives. British tyranny is what they are.

My sister in law was an EMT out of Healy back then, she was at the crash sight. There is way too much hunting pressure on the wood river now Lynn would be amazed... Resident Hunters of Alaska.....
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast