Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First "sealer" of the year bites the big one

Default First "sealer" of the year bites the big one

The first official 55" fish of the season was bonked over the weekend by a guided tourist. Whatever compels anyone to kill these giant fire-engines is beyond me. "Cleansing the Kenai gene pool of its biggest and best brood stock... one hawg at a time!" So discouraging to see that it continues to happen when we all know better.

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/91...-9058772c.html

As Kenai kings go, it was a rather skinny fish with a girth of only 31 inches... much like that long, lanky supposed 88 pound "trophy" that ADFG later verified at just under 60 pounds earlier this month.

The late run continues to languish in the third week of July. Up to July 17 the cumulative count is only 11.6K.... you'd need half again as many fish to even come close to the historic average. As of yesterday's count of 776, the run is on track for an in-river return of only 27.4K An average year sees 41.2K swimming past the sonar. Typically we should be pushing 1800-2000 fish a day this time of year. That first big push is due any day now... any day.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Hawgs

When will we stop catching them in setnets and selling them for $1.50 a lb.?? The big kings are going away. There was a time not too long ago that the average fish in July was close to 40 lbs. I have a another *****. I love drift boat mondays but I wish there was no power boats on the river during drift boat mondays. Why cant we have one day where there is no wakes, noise, or pollution from power boats. Drift boat mondays is the only time I want to fish the lower Kenai river. This last monday was awesome....other than the jerks in the power boats running around. BC

Default 55"

If I'm ever lucky enough to land one, it's in the box, count on it!

Boy that is one red fish..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default What!

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    If I'm ever lucky enough to land one, it's in the box, count on it!
    You're not into playing with fish? Shame on you.

Saving those big fish is why the KRSA has the release a hog - take home a trophy program. Release a fish over 50" and get $800 toward the cost of a mount. The rules are on the KRSA website.

I know there are some on this forum who totally oppose catch and release but this is a good program for the rest of us.....get a great trophy to hang on the wall and let the big 'uns spawn.

Does anyone have a link to this krsa website. I am heading up this Sunday to fish for a week on the Kenai. I would like to have a replica done if I catch the big one. Tried to do a search on google and I could find nothing.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

There is a big sign near the ERA waiting area in ANC about the $800 off. I'd take the $800 off any day but aren't these fish going to die anyway...if there was no $800 off I would be taking it home even if it were red. I'm just not good/lucky enough to ever get one.

"Gross...what a dark ole boot...I'd settle for a twenty pound chromer any day."

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I'd take the $800 off any day but aren't these fish going to die anyway...if there was no $800 off I would be taking it home even if it were red.
    Dude... did you miss the part about genetic cleansing?

Yes, ALL Kenai kings "are going to die anyway"... it's just that fish like this should be granted their ONE AND ONLY chance to pass on their genetic fitness before they do so!

As one member of another board so astutely observed...

It breaks my heart to see picture after picture of tourists hoisting some booted-out 60-90lb Kenai Chinook - clueless that their guided adventure just took another step toward the eventual loss of those great fish.
    LONG LIVE THE KINGS!
    The KeenEye MD

Default when thay are that big and red.

It's not rocket science.

I love the part about getting 40 lbs of prime fillets. Yea right. She killed the fish for what, a picture, because that meat isn't going to be very good to eat.

Default Rules

I'm pretty sure that an unguided angler does'nt qualify for the release a hog program. You might want to check it out before you run down there with a pic. and some measurements wanting $800.

Default Who knows. . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Saving those big fish is why the KRSA has the release a hog - take home a trophy program. Release a fish over 50" and get $800 toward the cost of a mount. The rules are on the KRSA website.

I know there are some on this forum who totally oppose catch and release but this is a good program for the rest of us.....get a great trophy to hang on the wall and let the big 'uns spawn.
    But how do we know for sure that the "big 'uns" have enough vigor left—after being hooked, played with, and let go—to spawn?

If we really, really cared about these fish, why would we put them at such risk?

“...because we’re nice to the fish, releasing them ‘unharmed,’ we can receive both psychic dispensation and blessing. Needless to say, if you think about this relationship carefully, it’s not a comforting one, for it is a game of dominance followed by a cathartic pardons, which, as a nonfishing friend remarked, ‘is one of the hallmarks of an abusive relationship.’” —Ted Kerasote

Quote Originally Posted by kenaislider View Post
    I'm pretty sure that an unguided angler does'nt qualify for the release a hog program. You might want to check it out before you run down there with a pic. and some measurements wanting $800.
    From what I recall from when I looked at the program in May, you or your guide need to be a member. There's a pretty strict documentation regiment that is supposed to be followed in order to qualify for the $800. Just my $0.02

I talked to a fish and game biologist about a study done on little su silvers. He said that In the study they did on catch and relece fishing over 70% of the fish died within 3 days. Ever since that point I have kept every leagal salmon. So most likly the fish would not have spawned any way.

The way I've seen these kenai fish played on video it seems like b/c of the typical Kenai equipment they will be too exhausted.....Abus cast further than any other levelwind, but their drags are very weak compared to other reels......a shimano Tekota etc. would eliminate these 30 minute+ battles or u can switch out the stock drag for smoothies or just use the new abus with teh carbon matrix drag.....but still if u're not casting why not just use a stronger trolling reel like a tekota or daiwa sealine etc.? Who cares about the weight if u're just trolling and not casting.

Also, why not switch to single hooks and pinched barbs if u're releasing or at least pinching the barbs on the trebles? A mouth full of trebles is going to do serious damage.

Chinookhead - very few people use Abu Garcia reels anymore - the most popular among the people I know are Shimano Calcuttas and Penn 965 or 985. The 70% mortality may be correct for Silvers as they are a much more fragile fish than kings......I also keep all silvers....but the king mortality numbers I have seen are under 10%, even lower for the big ones.

The usual opponents to c&r will not accept these figures because they didn't provide them so I guess we just have to make up our own minds to release or keep a fish as we go along. Personally, if I ever catch a "hog" I'll release it. There may not be proof yet but do big fish breed big fish?? Probably.

I almost forgot-treble hooks are not legal on the Kenai - single hook only for Kings.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast