Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bear baiting 2018!

Iíve baited bears for over 30 years now and have shot fewer than what can be counted with the fingers on one hand. May is just the perfect time to be out there. The August and (especially) September hordes of trail mud manufacturers are busy with their economic hustles, the weather is GREAT, mosquitoes are just waking up, and bears are FUN to watch and interact with.

Quote Originally Posted by RTaylor View Post
    Iíve baited bears for over 30 years now and have shot fewer than what can be counted with the fingers on one hand. May is just the perfect time to be out there. The August and (especially) September hordes of trail mud manufacturers are busy with their economic hustles, the weather is GREAT, mosquitoes are just waking up, and bears are FUN to watch and interact with.
    Just bad luck? Bad area? Letting others shoot them? I try to take several new hunters each spring for their first bear, I like that as much as shooting them myself and I know for a fact they'll never forget the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Just bad luck? Bad area? Letting others shoot them?.......
    My wife is afraid of bear meat. You can shoot Ďem. Baiting is a cheap bear viewing experience, and it provides a great excuse to escape those afraid of bear meat as well as everybody else.

Make sure you have a hunting license and all the permits for a bait station even if you donít plan on shooting one.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I wouldn't be any more afraid of bear meat than I would be of pork.
    I found strange encystments even in the moose I killed this last fall. Found plenty in the fish I caught, both trout and salmon. Found some in the caribou I killed last fall too, and many over the years.You just work around it and cook it well. Appreciate the fact that it has no growth hormones or antibiotics... which in my opinion are worse than parasites. Good black bear meat beats pork any day in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Make sure you have a hunting license and all the permits for a bait station even if you donít plan on shooting one.
    I do. One never knows, and I hate paperwork and free field dressing jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I wouldn't be any more afraid of bear meat than I would be of pork........
    It was trained into her by her mother and their childhood dogs. The first time I ate bear meat was when somebody gave my father-in-law a roast. My mother-in-law overcooked it into leather. Then, after it was ruined, they tried giving it to the dogs, and the dogs just barked at it. The lesson?: if dogs wonít eat it, neither will I.

Stupidity canít be fixed. It is best watched well, though, so it doesnít run one over.

Quote Originally Posted by RTaylor View Post
    It was trained into her by her mother and their childhood dogs. The first time I ate bear meat was when somebody gave my father-in-law a roast. My mother-in-law overcooked it into leather. Then, after it was ruined, they tried giving it to the dogs, and the dogs just barked at it. The lesson?: if dogs wonít eat it, neither will I.

Stupidity canít be fixed. It is best watched well, though, so it doesnít run one over.
    Yeas, overcooking can cure one of a certain type of meat forever.

The best way to eat bear meat is to corn it. I cube everything and put it in corned beef spices for 10 days in the refrigerator. Stir 2 times daily. Then can it as you would meat in a pressure cooker. It tastes like corned beef and falls apart on the fork.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The best way to eat bear meat is to corn it. I cube everything and put it in corned beef spices for 10 days in the refrigerator. Stir 2 times daily. Then can it as you would meat in a pressure cooker. It tastes like corned beef and falls apart on the fork.
    Dave, what spices are you using? This sounds like a great way to keep some tasty bear meat year round. We eat the hams pretty quick and the rest usually is turned into breakfast sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Dave, what spices are you using? This sounds like a great way to keep some tasty bear meat year round. We eat the hams pretty quick and the rest usually is turned into breakfast sausage.
    1/2 gallon of water
    1/2 cup Kosher Salt
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/2 oz. Instantcure
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp Coriander seed
    6 Bay leaves
    1 tsp Mustard seeds
    1 tsp Thyme
    1 tsp Caraway seeds
    1 Cinnamon stick
    6 Cloves
    5 Chopper garlic cloves
    I put it in a clean container in the frig. and stir 2X's daily for 8 days.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up Chicken fry oil

Hey Fairbanks baiters!!!
    Before work tonight, I ran by the College road KFC for a quick bite. I saw about (10) 5-gal jugs of liquidy looking chicken- fry-oil sitting by their dumpster.
    I asked the guy inside about them. He said "as long as you realize that they're not for human consumption, blah blah blah, go ahead and take 'em"...
    That's the best price going: Free-90-Free!! If I lived here, I'd have snatched up 1/2 of them..
    So if you use grease for bear baiting, here ya go...

Rigged up some plastic barrels this year. Gonna see how they work for them grizzly. Instead
    Of cutting out the big hole for them to feed thru I cut theee sides and left the top attached, more like a flapper. Should hold the food in but bears can still
    Push it open. Also a few smaller holes down low for them to bang it around when it gets low on food. Couple weeks. Setting baits out soon as I can!
    Master guide 212

On my RnR's from work throughout this entire winter I've been prepping everything, while picking up a few 907 products along the way as well...
    Not much left too do now but wait for water..

Iíll get mine out with snowmachines. Canít access them until itís
    To late if I wait for dirt.
    Master guide 212

I'm looking forward to getting back out on the river and baiting but I'll admit I'm less enthused at establishing new bait stations.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Just put a down payment on new boat, can't wait for the river to open up! All loaded up on Bait Em products from Jess, nasty boar is NASTY! Time to get some popcorn popping. Putting in a new site this season, near my buddies site(few miles away) so we'll have options to hunt either.

Ya down payment went out this week on my boat as well! What did you get?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Ya down payment went out this week on my boat as well! What did you get?
    Nice! SeaArk 1872 w/ Yammi 80 jet, checked out all others and put an offer with deweys and ended up getting it. Picking up next R&R. What about you?

2072 alumacraft merc 150hp jet/with prop lower walkthru windshield.
    Master guide 212

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast