Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bear baiting 2018!

Trucks loaded with dog food and smells of skunk and cotton candy!! Can only mean one thing!!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Heading in tonight to set up and let it soak a few weeks.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I headed in to set baits. Arrived and unloaded sleds and bait. Tub with permits/sat phone/trail cameras was gone. Saw it when I got gas. Either it jumped outa the bed of the truck or at 1am it was to tempting while I ran in for snacks at the gas station and got snatched. No ransom demands yet!
    12 hours of driving. Got nothing done except loose money! Typical bear baiting lol
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I headed in to set baits. Arrived and unloaded sleds and bait. Tub with permits/sat phone/trail cameras was gone. Saw it when I got gas. Either it jumped outa the bed of the truck or at 1am it was to tempting while I ran in for snacks at the gas station and got snatched. No ransom demands yet!
    12 hours of driving. Got nothing done except loose money! Typical bear baiting lol
    Check the gas station cams?!? Thatís not a light load to lose! In any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone have any action yet?

Still lots of snow across the state, but have been seeing and hearing of bear activity now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Set up 2 weeks ago and no action yet. Wonít be able to check for another week now so hopefully by then it starts to pick up.

Iím ups bit in elevation. Waslocked in winter yesterday. No sign of any melting yet. Iíll check them again in three weeks or so. May 28 last year I think.
    Master guide 212

Attachment 95873Alaska range

I just checked on Monday at my station in 14B. Had one big cow moose walk by and a Martin terrorizing my pile of donuts. Last time I was in this location was 2016 and I shot a bear on the 13th that year. Still too much snow up there at the moment. Starting to wonder because I am looking for Browns and my time frame is rapidly shrinking.

will be checking one of my stations (since still too much snow at my other spot to even drag crap in) will report my findings in 14 Alphabet

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Walked into the stand 2 days ago to re-bait. Just dog food with me. I saw some skunk cabbage that had been eaten and the ground tore up a bit on the trail up. I saw my barrel from about 60 yards out and it was tilted. I then after a few more steps spotted the bear. Nice boar. I spoke it him as I really was only going to replace bait as it was supposed to pour rain latter. No movement, I yelled at him and he wasn't interested in me. Now at 40 yards with no firearm, I started barking. Nope, wasn't interested in me. So I tore open the dog food and started to pour it on the ground. For some reason, that drove him off. Well today is re-bait day, shrimp pot day and I have a friend with a long bow that really needs to kill a bear. I also have the .44 today.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Walked into the stand 2 days ago to re-bait. Just dog food with me. I saw some skunk cabbage that had been eaten and the ground tore up a bit on the trail up. I saw my barrel from about 60 yards out and it was tilted. I then after a few more steps spotted the bear. Nice boar. I spoke it him as I really was only going to replace bait as it was supposed to pour rain latter. No movement, I yelled at him and he wasn't interested in me. Now at 40 yards with no firearm, I started barking. Nope, wasn't interested in me. So I tore open the dog food and started to pour it on the ground. For some reason, that drove him off. Well today is re-bait day, shrimp pot day and I have a friend with a long bow that really needs to kill a bear. I also have the .44 today.
    That'll teach ya to walk into the bait unarmed!

I walked in today and that SOB took my tree stand seats out of the tree (4 of them), took them to the bait pile, dug a hole and buried them under mud. Then he broke several spruce brows and put those on top. We stayed four hours and he did not come back. Could it be he knew there was a stick bow and a S&W 629 .44 waiting for him. We're not done with him yet.

Dave, you are a brave man! I'm too darn scared to ever walk in on my baited site without my 10mil drawn, chambered and ready to fire. I had a graphic dream once, many years ago, about being torn to pieces by a bear, and I don't wish to fulfill it!

PS- not meaning to start a "loaded or unloaded" discussion here.

Not worried about your comment. I settled on the fact years ago that if God wanted me on a particular day, I'd have little say in the matter. That said, I've been doing this for 16 years and have a pretty good foundation of bear behavior in my area. Most bears are cowards, running off well before even a smaller bear comes into the bait. They all leave. I believe the only reason that this one stayed was because of the amount of rain and the little creek next to the bait was fairly noisy and I wasn't to begin with.

Went in today with a friend and his stick bow. (Yes I had my other friends Smith & Wesson with me.) Bait was hit again. Nice boar walked up the trail right under the stand. Only about 5'5"- 5'8" at the most but a BEAUTIFUL long coat of fur. What a coat he had. Thick and long, no rubs, would make a nice first bear for someone. He was there about 5 min. then a smallish sow came in and he perked up. Got her wind and took off after here. That was it.

Nothing out in 15c that I have seen or heard about so far. No action on my trailcam. But then things didn't pick up until early June last year, and I believe this year is a week or two late in temps.

Nice boar walked up the trail right under the stand. Only about 5'5"- 5'8" at the most but a BEAUTIFUL long coat of fur. What a coat he had. Thick and long, no rubs, would make a nice first bear for someone..
    Must be the Valdez habitat over there that gives those blackies such beautiful hides. I met a guy years ago that used to guide out of Valdez for trophy black bears. He was a believer that it had to be the habitat. He said the hides on bears over there are like nowhere else. From everything I've heard and seen I tend to believe him....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Shot s blackie south of Valdez once and the water beaded up on it. Amazing hair on those bears!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Shot s blackie south of Valdez once and the water beaded up on it. Amazing hair on those bears!
    Well they certainly eat enough dog food, molasses and other sweets.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast