Thread: Any information about recent riding

Default Any information about recent riding

Just wondering where the best riding is to be had.

Probably Minnesota....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Erie, Pennsylvania
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Not here! Down to gravel and green grass! Could not load our machines even if we wanted to!

Nancy Lake State Recreation Area and Big and and Willow swamps were good. Did not get above freezing as of 1/2/2018

Trail Report
    Happy New Year!! I’m happy to report that we have good snow conditions up in the Lake Louise Area and it’s only going to get better.

Many of the LLSMC members were up on the Lakes and surrounding areas over the holidays. During the holidays very cold temperatures were encountered. In some areas, I received reports of temps dipping to -28 in the evenings. In addition, we experienced some challenging ice fog conditions. However, we also found days of clear, calm and warmer temps (4 degrees to -5) and on New Year’s day temperatures continued to improve and it started to snow!!

Over the holidays, members were busy finishing marking trails and at this time all trails on Lake Susitna and Tyone Lake to Tyone River are marked and all that remains to be marked on Lake Louise is the east-side trail. The goal is to have this trail marked within the week. A couple of groups have also busted in the trail up to Nipple Mountain, the view was spectacular! The colder temperatures have helped a great deal in firming up the overflow, however still use caution when traveling off the marked trails. These colder temperatures have resulted in securing a good base of snow, ranging in depth from 20-30 inches depending on location.

Grooming will start today, January 2, 2018. Over the next week it is our goal to have the following trails groomed; starting with the trail to Cross Wind Lake, followed by the Mendeltna Trail to Bob Lake, then Eureka Trail to John Lake and finishing up with the trails on Lake Louise and Lake Susitna.

Some members have traveled off the mark trails, boon docking into the surrounding areas and have found good snow conditions and it will only get better.

The channel between Lake Louise and Lake Susitna is still open and many of the narrow channels on Tyone Lake are also open. Please use extreme caution when traveling in this area and especially if you are going off of the marked trails.
    Comments:

As always; let someone know where you are going, when you plan to be back, dress for the weather and travel in pairs.

Good riding to be had if you are willing to work for it. All the Curry Ridge trails are groomed and we didn't bet the big warm up Anchorage go. Eureka has a bunch of snow now and I think they've been grooming as well.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Good riding to be had if you are willing to work for it. All the Curry Ridge trails are groomed and we didn't bet the big warm up Anchorage go. Eureka has a bunch of snow now and I think they've been grooming as well.
    Spent Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday (Jan 2 - 4) out of Gate Creek.......plenty of riding and (after a snowfall) even some powder if one went far enough and / or was the first one "there". Snow conditions worked for "what's over the next 5 ridges" (me) "how rad can I carve the turns" (Son & No. 1 Grandaughter) and "Grampa / Gramma, look at me on my new 120" (5 year old No. 2 Granddaughter)

As always, a very pleasant experience with the folks at Gate Creek.
    Back in AK

Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    Spent Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday (Jan 2 - 4) out of Gate Creek.......plenty of riding and (after a snowfall) even some powder if one went far enough and / or was the first one "there". Snow conditions worked for "what's over the next 5 ridges" (me) "how rad can I carve the turns" (Son & No. 1 Grandaughter) and "Grampa / Gramma, look at me on my new 120" (5 year old No. 2 Granddaughter)

As always, a very pleasant experience with the folks at Gate Creek.
    I'll second that.

Buddies all had an awesome day of riding in Valdez today as I'm stuck up at work.

January 10, 2018
    Lake Louise Trail Report

As reported last week grooming began on January 2nd with grooming the Crosswind, North Crosswind and Big Bay trail. Following that we groomed the Mendeltna and Bob Lake trails. These trails were groomed first with an emphasis on the CB300 dog sled race this weekend.
    Other trails groomed this week were the Tolsona/Big Rock and the Lake Louise/Susitna loop trail. There are still spots of overflow on both sides of the lake trail. Beware of a couple “super rough” sections on the trail between Army Point and Larson Bay where the groomer broke through the overflow and left it a frozen mess.
    Overflow is still an issue on all the lakes. It appears to be healing up somewhat but riders beware it is everywhere.
    The snow depth off the trails has remained about the same as last report. The groomed trails are coming out excellent, with a nice hard base once it has set up. The trails should remain great through the season if riders will refrain from “digging out” and leaving big holes and snow piles. Not Cool!
    No new snow to report this week but have had lots of frozen fog. Temps were -18 to +15 all week until yesterday and today. Currently the temp. at Lake Louise Lodge is -39 degrees. Weather forecast is for warming in the next few days back up to the 20's by the weekend.

After the weekend we plan to begin grooming once again starting with the Eureka/John lake trail. Moore Lake trail will be delayed till we are able to get our BR400 Sno-Cat back into service.
    A couple club members last weekend marked the Lake Louise trail into Cameron Cove and part way down the east shore . The rest of the east side still needs to be marked around and back to the main trail.
    Riders be aware that the CB300 dog race begins Saturday. Dog teams will be on the Crosswind trail, to Lake Louise, through the State Park, to the Mendeltna Trail, traveling to the Mendeltna Lodge on the Glenn highway. Dog teams will be on the trails most of the week.
    In concluding this report I'd like to remind trail users all our trails are being marked and groomed by just a few volunteer club members. We need more help if we are going to continue accomplishing our goals of grooming, marking, and maintaining our trails. Please take some time and help out.
    As a reminder. Always let someone know where you are going, when you plan to get there, and when you will be back.
    Don't travel alone and dress appropriately for the weather.

I was up at Lake Louise on the weekend. I can attest to the fog and rough spots due to frozen overflow. There's about 30" on the ground and established trails are firm and fast. Overflow is prevalent on many of the small lakes too.