Thread: Any plans for Brooks Range bow only sheep?

Default Any plans for Brooks Range bow only sheep?

Anybody planning on heading up the road next month for bow only sheep? I just started training (I started a thread in HUNTING), but hope to be ready to go take a look this next month. No real plans yet for a final destination. This year will be a look see for next. It has been a long time since I have been up there.
    For right now it is me, by pack, my Hoyt and maybe a daughter or son. Sure would be good if they both went to help carry the load.

Default Might

I might. Partner hurt his back so we might not be able to make the sheep part. Diffinetly doing the caribou.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Sounds like a Fun Hunt...

AK River Rat, what are the logistics in doing such a hunt? I know the Brooks aren't as bad as the Alaskan Range in the souther part of the state, but I am sure you still need to be in shape for humping hills eh?

I was just up there, saw some rams but nothing legal,I haven't seen a full curl ram visible from the road for the last 3 years, man you are going to have to hike in for a while to get to anything worth shooting. I was going to do that hunt, but decided to do the chugach range instead, I drew a goat tag so might as well go sheep hunting while i scout for goats. i'll be going up there for moose (DM920) in Sept and caribou too. Your best bet is to do a fly in to the Brooks from Coldfoot.

Default humpin hills

goalie, did you read the thread in "hunting" about training? I am a bit less "round" now than when I started. Geez I have been tired though. I know I don't have enough time to do all there is to be done, but maybe a miracle will occur and gravity will cease for a while as I try climbing.
    Years ago I was up the headwaters of the Atigun, outside of the corridor. Other than a long walk with some hills involved, there was nothing too strenuous or steep. I know there is worse country up there though. But again, 25 more hard years on this body and everything up there will feel like Everest.
    I don't have a real plan yet. Just hope to go, have good wx, few bugs (please Lord, just a few, I'll take the blisters instead) and see some animals.
    I figure if I leave work early one day I should be there easily by night, get some sleep, and start early the next day to somewhere. I do not plan on being by myself and have a few options for partners which include my 13 year old daughter who just came off the Chilkoot. She is awesome!
    As I said, have not been up there in a long time. I wonder how much pressure there is in the corridor for the sheep? I would expect that there are a lot of places to go so we are not competing for the same animals.