Thread: trail riding lake Louise lake susitna

Default trail riding lake Louise lake susitna

Here is some information about the conditions up at lake Louise, susitna lake, it is going to be a great year for trail riding up there they say they have 20 to 30 inches of snow.

http://www.lakelouisesnowmachineclub.com

Sorry about the link this is were I thought the link was going to take everybody, I have no connection with the club I just know it is a great place to ride plus I have property on susitna lake.

Trail Report

At this time the LLSMC has not groomed any trails using the snow-cats. However, most trails have been traveled on. Temperatures have started to dip, at 2:00 p.m. today the temperature was -10 degrees Fahrenheit. The colder temperatures have resulted in securing a good base of snow, ranging in depth from 20-30 inches depending on location.

The channel between Lake Louise and Lake Susitna is still open and many of the narrow channels on Tyone Lake are also open. Please use extreme caution when traveling in this area and especially if you are going off of the marked trails. Significant overflow is still being reported throughout this area.

Trail markers are up along the west side of Lake Louise, west side of Lake Susitna to the land bridge and down Tyone Lake to Lee Twing’s cabin. Two side trails are also marked, one from the end of the road to the west side Lake Louise trail and the trail head on Lake Susitna to the Moore Lake trail.

Starting on December 26, some of the LLSMC members will be up at the lakes finishing marking the trails and some grooming with pull behind snow-machine groomers. Our goal is to have most of the trails, if not all marked by New Year’s Eve. Shortly after the first of the year, we will start grooming with the snow-cats. Until grooming starts, some areas of the marked trails are rough where overflow is found, so be aware and ride accordingly.

Comments:

As always; let someone know where you are going, when you plan to be back, dress for the weather and travel in pairs.

I'd just like to say, if you use these trails and appreciate having them groomed, you should join LLSMC and consider donating to them. All to often people let the "other guy" do it and then become upset when access gets blocked for whatever reason, or worse, complain that the trail is in bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    I'd just like to say, if you use these trails and appreciate having them groomed, you should join LLSMC and consider donating to them. All to often people let the "other guy" do it and then become upset when access gets blocked for whatever reason, or worse, complain that the trail is in bad shape.
    I guess I should for one clarify I have no monetary connection with the club, yes I have helped support the club and it's activities.

I just returned from LL and LS and riders beware! Trails are marked and are being used but....The north end of LL is rutted and nasty. Went over to Cliff Bay and Blueberry Cove to look at some property. The marked trails were super rutted from folks dealing with previous Over Flow and now its frozen and rough! I chose to get off of the standard trail for a smoother ride and guess what? Lots of water! We were breaking through almost everywhere in Cliff Bay and when we popped over into LS it was worse. Open water at the slough as you would expect but lots of dark ice/snow and plenty of overflow.

As the locals in Kotzebue say.....Overflow? Full Throttle Baby"!

PS>. The wife and I are looking for a modest cabin on LL, Ls or Tyone to buy if you know of one..

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    Gakona, Ak
    907-259-4290

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    I just returned from LL and LS and riders beware! Trails are marked and are being used but....The north end of LL is rutted and nasty. Went over to Cliff Bay and Blueberry Cove to look at some property. The marked trails were super rutted from folks dealing with previous Over Flow and now its frozen and rough! I chose to get off of the standard trail for a smoother ride and guess what? Lots of water! We were breaking through almost everywhere in Cliff Bay and when we popped over into LS it was worse. Open water at the slough as you would expect but lots of dark ice/snow and plenty of overflow.

As the locals in Kotzebue say.....Overflow? Full Throttle Baby"!

PS>. The wife and I are looking for a modest cabin on LL, Ls or Tyone to buy if you know of one..

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    Gakona, Ak
    907-259-4290
    that is just about what they said in that info. That I posted, there were a bunch of properties for sale at the Alaska remote properties website the last time I looked at what I would consider a good price point at least for a starting point, some of that stuff is getting expensive last year a couple pieces of properties went for around 60,000and another one went for close to 40,000 both were on the big island on susitna lake. That was just raw property's no cabin.

Lake Ice, Trail, and Snow Conditions

Trail Report
    his week I'm happy to report we got six inches of new snow Sunday night. Temperatures have come back up from -40 last Wednesday and Thursday to mid 20's on Monday and Tuesday. This trend is supposed to continue till this weekend when temps are forecast to fall into the single digits and teens.

No grooming has been done this past week because of the low temperatures and lack of manpower. Grooming is planned to resume hopefully this weekend or next week.

A work party is being organized to complete track maintenance on the BR400 snocat (Big Foot) on Saturday, so we can put it into service. Help is needed!

All the trails groomed so far remain smooth and hard packed. Spots of overflow continues to be an issue on Lake Louise, Susitna and out laying lakes. Stay on the marked trails to avoid this hazard. There is still several hazardous spots of frozen overflow between Army Point and Larson Bay on the right side of the marked trail going towards Lake Susitna. Use extreme caution or just avoid these spots. They will get repaired when groomed again.

Last weekend a couple members finished marking the trail on the eastside of Lake Louise. They reported some overflow in several spots, so once again stay on the marked trail to avoid these hazards. This completes marking the Loop trails around Lake Louise and Lake Susitna and down into Tyone.

The Eureka trail was broke out with snowmachines on Sunday to mile 17, the junction of the Moore trail and John Lake trails. There has been no traffic on these trails yet. Snow depth in the area is approximately 30”. No hazards were encountered on any of the lakes and streams along the trail. Stakes were set marking the trail across the larger lakes.

Comments:

As a reminder. Don't travel alone, dress appropriately and let someone know where you are going. If you do come across a hazard. Please report it to someone at Lake Louise Lodge.

January 17, 2018