Thread: Newbie help with Moose set up

Post Newbie help with Moose set up

So Santa was good to me this year and got me my first ML for Christmas. I have never owned one but always wanted one. I have shot a traditional flintlock that my dad owned several years ago but never found the time or money to get one. Anyway I received a T/C Impact in-line for a "try it out" set up to see if I will really like it before I get too involved in the sport. I live in Fairbanks and am trying to find a powder/bullet combo that will work for moose here in the cold winters that we are known for. I have talked to a few people here in town and got some suggestions but wanted some input from the forum to see what has and hasn't worked for you out there. I am considering using powder over pellets and would like to stay away from sabots if possible. I have been looking at the blackhorn 209 powder and cci 209m primers with a few different brands of bullets in the powerbelt, maxi balls, and the federal B.O.R. Loc just for starters. Would like to hear your preferences, what works and doesn't work, and any other valuable information that would help get me started. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

I just returned from a trip to the midwest where I shot two deer with a TC Impact. Temps were well below zero during our hunt. I used 90gr of 777 powder behind a saboted .45 lead bullet (230gr bullet) at around 1700fps. I poured the lead bullet myself from wheelweights using a mold for a .45ACP.

I know moose are larger than whitetails but I would have no problem using this same setup on moose. Several years ago I used a cast lead bullet on a Sitka Blacktail that was facing me. The bullet struck the deer in the neck, traveled down the spine all the way to the hips where it broke the hip bone and stopped under the skin of the ham. That was a 30-30 and a 165gr slug traveling 1900fps.
    I tried some of the Lee REAL bullets but my lead was too hard and it was almost impossible to load plus the groups were horrible.
    Why do you want to stay a way from sabots? When starting out I made my own with old milk cartons and they were surprisingly accurate but I now use TC sabots. PM me if you have any other questions.
    Scott

Interested also. Recently picked up an Encore with a .50 cal ML barrel, and a .300 Win mag barrel.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Thanks akmac,
    I am just not sure about putting plastic down a barrel especially at the minus temps I will be hunting at. I am not opposed to them just think that there will be problems with plastic at cold temps. Of course that may be true with anything at cold temps. The plastic will require cleaning the barrel a little more also. I looked at the TC bonded sabots and considered them for moose but talked myself out of it for the reasons mentioned above. Maybe I will get a pack and run it through the Impact and see how they perform. Especially here in Fairbanks where bullet choices are limited. Thanks for the reply.

Just a little update. I have tried the Federal BOR Lok in 350 gr, The Hornady FPB in 350gr, T/C shockwave in 250gr. Still need to try the Thor one size fits all, T/C maxiballs 350gr, and some Hornady FPB 300 gr. I am using Blackhorn 209 powder. The BOR Lok loaded real easy and gave good groups with 110 grains of powder. The downside to these is that sometimes the bullet separates from the base when loading and comes out. A simple fix for that is to super glue the bullet into the base. The Hornady FPB is relatively easy to load once started and shoots good groups with 100 gr of powder. The T/C shockwave with superglide sabots performed well and had decent grouping also with 110 gr of powder. The downside to these is that after the first one or two they get a little hard to push down the barrel. So far my choice would be the FPB's but at this point trying to get my hands on some more has been difficult. I bought some more of the BOR Lok's to use for my ML certification coming up next month so am waiting on the FPB's to get in stock before switching to them. Will update with any other kinds that I try.

Old thread... I have been using and liking the Blackhorn 209, not cheap however. I tired a variety of bore sized non-saboted bullets, most that you listed. I finally decided to give sabots a try, for a couple of reason, smaller bullet better trajectory. I also wanted to shoot a all lead bullet as jacketed bullets dont make much sense on slower moving projectiles. I didnt want to worry about leading up the bore and I would not be concerned about plastic and cold temps.

Currently shooting the 340G dead centers from these guys, https://www.prbullet.com/index.htm they are a beautiful bullet. I shot a 5.5" 3 shoot group at 200 yds last weekend, peep sight, I quit after that as I doubt I will ever be able to repeat that, it wasnt much better at 100yds......! Fortunately moose have big heart/lung areas to aim for....
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Thanks Akgramps for the info. I will have to check them out. How much powder did you put behind those 340 gr dead centers? I ended up using the Hornady sabots with 90 grains of BH. They loaded easily in my ML and shot decent enough groups to pass the certification but still looking for the perfect bullet out of my gun. Still have some of the other all lead bullets I would like to try but I have heard that they turn to steel in cold temps and are not as forgiving going down the gun. So much so people have told me they have been stuck in the middle of barrels trying to get the bullet down.

Quote Originally Posted by Say Man View Post
    Thanks Akgramps for the info. I will have to check them out. How much powder did you put behind those 340 gr dead centers? I ended up using the Hornady sabots with 90 grains of BH. They loaded easily in my ML and shot decent enough groups to pass the certification but still looking for the perfect bullet out of my gun. Still have some of the other all lead bullets I would like to try but I have heard that they turn to steel in cold temps and are not as forgiving going down the gun. So much so people have told me they have been stuck in the middle of barrels trying to get the bullet down.

Hmm, bullets stuck in barrels you say... maybe if using bore size bullets..... all lead in a sabot is no different than a jacketed bullet in a sabot.

Typically use 100G of Blackhorn, my groups opened up when i went to 120G, I was practicing with a scope as I wanted to eliminate the open sight equation for making a decision on the best combo in terms of powder/bullet/sabot/etc. I bought 3X9 Nikon for 130 bucks at Sportsmans and a weaver base. I maybe have 170 in rings, bases, scope. You cant hunt with it for a "muzzleloader" hunt, but you can use optics during a regular season. Its a good way to decide what works. I would give the 340G dead centers a try, I shot all manner or projectiles and have to say they shot the most consistent of any bullet. With 100G of BH 209 I was getting around 1800 FPS.
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Hmm, bullets stuck in barrels you say... maybe if using bore size bullets..... all lead in a sabot is no different than a jacketed bullet in a sabot.

Typically use 100G of Blackhorn, my groups opened up when i went to 120G, I was practicing with a scope as I wanted to eliminate the open sight equation for making a decision on the best combo in terms of powder/bullet/sabot/etc. I bought 3X9 Nikon for 130 bucks at Sportsmans and a weaver base. I maybe have 170 in rings, bases, scope. You cant hunt with it for a "muzzleloader" hunt, but you can use optics during a regular season. Its a good way to decide what works. I would give the 340G dead centers a try, I shot all manner or projectiles and have to say they shot the most consistent of any bullet. With 100G of BH 209 I was getting around 1800 FPS.
    Yeah Its the full size bore bullets that were getting stuck. Someone from F&G told me that they were hunting at -20 and had a full bore bullet get stuck just inside the end of the barrel, far enough that they had to shoot it out and missing on a caribou doing it. The sabots don't have that problem I guess or not that I have heard of. I got a package of the 340 gr dead centers the other day but haven't had time to get out there and shoot them yet. I have found that shooting the BH powder when I get around 110 grains or so I start to see my groups open up substantially out of my gun so the 100 grains is where I will start and tweak from there. Thanks or the info.

How are your Hornady's working out for you? I have heard good things about them. I have a CVA .50 and use 95 grains of Pyrodex RS (FFG) behind a 245gr Powerbelt bullet with a Winchester W209 shotshell primer. You might say that I am not in the camp of "more is better"

Hi scienz. The Hornady's are working the best out of my gun after having tried several different brands. There are still some that I would like to try but the Hornady's so far seem to be the best out of my gun. The "more is better" was definitely not the case for my gun. The more powder that I put in it the wider my groups got to the point where they were not groups anymore. I found that about 100 gr was about right and there were a few that liked 90-95 gr better. I use the CCI 209M primer in mine as recommended by BH. I do use a little bigger grained bullet as I will be using it on moose and like the little exra weight going into the moose. I would have no doubts about shooting a moose with a 245 gr powerbelt as long as you don't hit it in the shoulder. From what I hear the result is poor penetration. That is true with most bullets though. I have heard that they explode on impact but have not had any testing myself to prove or disprove what I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Say Man View Post
    Yeah Its the full size bore bullets that were getting stuck. Someone from F&G told me that they were hunting at -20 and had a full bore bullet get stuck just inside the end of the barrel, far enough that they had to shoot it out.
    How the hell did they shoot it out...? Pull the plug, dump some powder in and hope something happened....? that is a really, really dumb move.....
    Someone is pissing on your leg.....

Not sure of the details but the powder would already be in there then just prime and shoot not that I would have done it that way but there would probably be enough pressure to push it out. Like I said it was in a short talk about full size bullets so not a lot of details were given. Just relaying what I had heard. Could have been "pissing on my leg" or maybe there is more to the story that I didn't get but it doesn't matter. The basis was that the lead bullet turned to concrete and was difficult/impossible to push down the barrel at the cold temps.