Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wool Hoodie Construction?

Default Wool Hoodie Construction?

I was looking to get a wool hoodie as I am a bid fan of hoodies. The handy kangaroo pouch and the hat always hanging on your neck back. So there are quite a few manufacturers (K.O.M. , Sleeping Indian, ...)

The one I like is made by these guys: http://lrbushcraft.com/100-wool-boreal-shirt/

My daughter was making some wool mittens and I got to thinking... Could a person make a wool hoodie but with a goretex layer in it somewhere to stop wind a bit more.
    Say, a thin but tough outer layer of wool (quiet), next a layer of goretex fabric, then inside a moderately thick layer of wool or hybrid wool/thinsulate?. A drawstring waist built a bit longer to seal out wind and cuffs to stop the wind on wrists. I am wondering how all the layers are held together in the field area of each piece, random stitching? Obviously the edges would be stitched together... Also, I am starting to see that reflective , emergency blanket looking fabric on the inside of coats, does it make a big difference?

I am trying to end up with a hoodie that can do a wide range of weather and then I could throw a windbreaker/shell over that when extreme cold... I have a Filson Double Mackinaw from 12 years ago but the wind comes up from the bottom and up the sleeves...
    Mostly, its cold and dark out and I want to think I might be able to make something, lol. Thanks

If ya figure it out, I'll take one in Large please.....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    I am trying to end up with a hoodie that can do a wide range of weather and then I could throw a windbreaker/shell over that when extreme cold...
    I've used laminated garments such as you're proposing and found them to be very limiting in their range of use; the exact opposite of what you're looking for. My experience was that they quickly get too hot and too sweaty, because they don't breath well enough. I'd much rather have the wool garment without the gore layer, and add additional wind/insulation layers as necessary.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    If ya figure it out, I'll take one in Large please.....
    Yeah, I am finding out I don't even know the lingo of a seamstress. I am googling laminated or veneer fabrics, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I've used laminated garments such as you're proposing and found them to be very limiting in their range of use; the exact opposite of what you're looking for. My experience was that they quickly get too hot and too sweaty, because they don't breath well enough. I'd much rather have the wool garment without the gore layer, and add additional wind/insulation layers as necessary.
    Yeah, if only there was the perfect fabric.... Did your fabric include goretex? Or is it that the goretex just could not breath fast enough?

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    Yeah, if only there was the perfect fabric.... Did your fabric include goretex? Or is it that the goretex just could not breath fast enough?
    GORE-Tex 2000 fleece represents the concept you're proposing. It's a layer of Gore-Tex sandwiched between two layers of fleece... Sounds like a cool concept, but IMHO it's virtually worthless in practice.

For all intents and purposes, Gore-Tex doesn't breath. You may as well put on a thin sweater, then a plastic garbage bag, then another thin sweater, because that's exactly the same effect you get.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

I have "Sleeping Indian" and it is wonderful, and painfully expensive. I have guided a lot of European hunters, and it is very interesting how they use wool, very heavy thick wool. They don't wear rain gear, they will just be wet and warm. I could write several pages, but they simply don't try to be perfectly comfortable. They are willing to be soaking wet from rain, snow, or sweat. They wear that wool "cloak" type garment even if it is hot and sunny.

I've seen wool/gortex gloves that I always thought about buying but just never got around to it.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Good luck with your project- I hope it goes well. I wear wool hoodies from Triple Aught Designs (Praetorian) much of the time and when it is wet- I wear a Gore Tex shell over them. I love wool and love the Ibex wool products as well.

The Lester River stuff is actually made by Empire Wool and Canvas Company and they both experiment a lot and take on custom work. I've got a couple of their pieces, including the wool hoodie, and I love them a lot. You can find them here: https://empirecanvasworks.com/ and they often sell off experimental pieces at a discount on their Facebook page.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I've been using Ibex stuff for years, the wool hoodie works best as a mid layer, combine with a vest or a breathable outer coat. They have online sales a couple times a year.

This is the one I've been after for a while

http://lrbushcraft.com/100-wool-boreal-shirt/

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    The Lester River stuff is actually made by Empire Wool and Canvas Company and they both experiment a lot and take on custom work. I've got a couple of their pieces, including the wool hoodie, and I love them a lot. You can find them here: https://empirecanvasworks.com/ and they often sell off experimental pieces at a discount on their Facebook page.
    I'm a big fan of Kevin's work...expensive, hard to get at times...and fantastic.

That'd be where I'd start. He'd likely be happy to tell you if he's tried it and if it would even be worth attempting. One of the reasons I love wool is that it's warm but breathable. I don't think reducing the breathability would work so well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

For all intents and purposes, Gore-Tex doesn't breath. You may as well put on a thin sweater, then a plastic garbage bag, then another thin sweater, because that's exactly the same effect you get.

My experience with gore-tex is the exact opposite. My gore-tex gear works exactly as described - it lets moisture out and keeps the warmth in. If your gore-tex isn't breathing than it probably needs to be washed because the pores are clogged. At the start of spring/fall and after every major trip I toss all of my gore-tex into the washing machine (no soap) to ensure the gore-tex pores are clean for the next trip. I have gore-tex gear that is over 10 years old that is still as breathable (and warm) as it was on day 1.

I asked my partner (she's a serious knitter) about your wool hoodie idea and she said it would be cost prohibitive. Mostly from the time required to knit both layers but also the cost of the yarn which is scary expensive depending on the quality you want. To be warm it has to be a very, very, very tight knit which means more time, more effort, more yarn and a higher quality yarn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    I have gore-tex gear that is over 10 years old that is still as breathable (and warm) as it was on day 1.
    My experience with GT began in the late 70's and early 80's when the marketing hype began and we began selling it in the shop. GT's ability to pass moisture vapor relies on vapor pressure differential from one side of the membrane to the other. It works in the lab where temp/vapor pressure can be controlled, but in outdoor garment applications, subject to the realities of physics, it for all intents and purposes does not function as the hype would have you believe. GT's ubiquitous use is a function of excellent marketing, little more.

My experience with GT began in the late 70's and early 80's when the marketing hype began and we began selling it in the shop. GT's ability to pass moisture vapor relies on vapor pressure differential from one side of the membrane to the other. It works in the lab where temp/vapor pressure can be controlled, but in outdoor garment applications, subject to the realities of physics, it for all intents and purposes does not function as the hype would have you believe. GT's ubiquitous use is a function of excellent marketing, little more.
    It works pretty good as long as it ain't raining that hard.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It works pretty good as long as it ain't raining that hard.......lol
    I've never had my gore-tex leak in the rain. At the end of the day my friends without gore-tex are soaked with sweat, while those of us wearing gore-tex are dry and warm. Sorry to hear your experiences haven't been as positive because it's a fantastic product that, in my experience, works exactly as described.

If you get a chance, check out -[King of the Mountain Wool]-, made in South Dakota, USA,,,,, I've been using it since the early 90's, it don't get any better, Period,,,,, and it's Machine Washable.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Just an FYI- Ibex just closed up shop! Real shame.
    I won't argue other people's experience and preferences but I have had mixed experiences with GT-mostly good. I do like my GT rain pants and I also agree with previous post about keeping it clean. Just like waders- they like to have a good wash every now and then.

i've got a boreal shirt and i just layer over or under it. golf shirts i get in the thrift shop for a couple bucks block wind well,wind dies off peel it off and that works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast