Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wool Hoodie Construction?

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    The Lester River stuff is actually made by Empire Wool and Canvas Company and they both experiment a lot and take on custom work. I've got a couple of their pieces, including the wool hoodie, and I love them a lot. You can find them here: https://empirecanvasworks.com/ and they often sell off experimental pieces at a discount on their Facebook page.
    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm a big fan of Kevin's work...expensive, hard to get at times...and fantastic.

That'd be where I'd start. He'd likely be happy to tell you if he's tried it and if it would even be worth attempting. One of the reasons I love wool is that it's warm but breathable. I don't think reducing the breathability would work so well.

I've got both the Camp Coat and Grey Fox Pullover plus the True North Mitts from Empire Wool & Canvas - workmanship is 1st rate and Kevin knows from actual experience and listening to others on the trail, just what is needed/desired/wanted by the person enjoying the chilly environment, such as the kangaroo pouch pockets with a couple plastic D-rings and drawstrings within the pouch pockets - very nice touches for those who know what it is like to lose a set of keys on the trail.

You definitely get what you pay for from Kevin - just like everything else in this world, top notch quality is a tad more expensive than "run of the mill" garments and wool gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    The Lester River stuff is actually made by Empire Wool and Canvas Company and they both experiment a lot and take on custom work. I've got a couple of their pieces, including the wool hoodie, and I love them a lot. You can find them here: https://empirecanvasworks.com/ and they often sell off experimental pieces at a discount on their Facebook page.
    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm a big fan of Kevin's work...expensive, hard to get at times...and fantastic.

That'd be where I'd start. He'd likely be happy to tell you if he's tried it and if it would even be worth attempting. One of the reasons I love wool is that it's warm but breathable. I don't think reducing the breathability would work so well.

I've got both the Camp Coat and Grey Fox Pullover from Empire Wool & Canvas - workmanship is 1st rate and Kevin knows from actual experience and listening to others on the trail, just what is needed/desired/wanted by the person enjoying the chilly environment, such as the kangaroo pouch pockets with a couple plastic D-rings and drawstrings within the pouch pockets - very nice touches for those who know what it is like to lose a set of keys on the trail.

You definitely get what you pay for from Kevin - just like everything else in this world, top notch quality is a tad more expensive than "run of the mill" garments and wool gets the job done.

Big thanks to the OP for starting this thread. As a result of asking my partner about the cost/effort of knitting a wool hoodie, she is about to order the pattern and yarn for my homemade wool hoodie!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12