Thread: Online Self Study for PPL

Default Online Self Study for PPL

Alirighty, it's time to get serious. I'm looking at the online options to prep for the written exam. Does anyone have first-hand experience with Sporty's, Jeppesen, Gleim or King's? Or anything else to recommend?

BTW, I know much of the needed info can be gleaned from the FAA publications. I'm looking at ways for my wife and I to study and learn together, and having material presented in a video or online format definitely works better for both of us. I also see most of these have starter kits with log book, plotter, calculator, etc. Is there value to be had in getting a bundled kit or is it perhaps a bunch of overpriced swag?

Thanks and wishing you all a wonderful Christmas!

Stop by the birchwood pilot shack and look around, people are always dropping off old training videos and material.
    DENNY

I had a computer program that was really good. About 5 or 6 disc for studying and then a disc with every possible question on the test. I believe there were over 700 possible questions. I don't remember the title of the disc but I believe I bought it at Northern avionics. It worked real well for me! I loaned it out to someone at Arctic flyers but I can't remember who it was now.

i thought gleim was pretty helpful

I like King schools
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    I like King schools
    X2. John and Martha are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    X2. John and Martha are the best!
    They are very good teachers. I took their instrument ground school in Fairbanks in the early 80's. Back then the King Ground School consisted of John and Martha traveling around teaching by themselves. They've certainly grown the business since then. I'd have little doubt the current King online programs are of high quality.
    Louis Knapp

King courses are great. Did my instrument and commercial ground with them when I lived in the bush. Almost like having company over LOL.

I used Sporty's course (on DVD), and would recommend it. I also used ASA's test-preparation book in the days preceding the Private Pilot knowledge-exam date.

Also, I purchased everything separately, partly to ensure I didn't buy anything I needed, but also because of limited funds at the time.

Merry Christmas to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I used Sporty's course (on DVD), and would recommend it. I also used ASA's test-preparation book in the days preceding the Private Pilot knowledge-exam date.

Also, I purchased everything separately, partly to ensure I didn't buy anything I needed, but also because of limited funds at the time.

Merry Christmas to you!
    Initially I bought ASA I think it was for my instrument. Then bought the king version. Much better. If you have a iPad or iPhone you can do it anywhere, just download it and go.

King Schools is the only way to go in my book. I used them for PPL, CPL, and IR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The last King DVD I watched put me to sleep (G1000). The monotone voices of the Kings was at fault...they cover the material alright, if you can stay awake long enough to learn it...

I used Gleim as the primary means. Also used the Android app Private Pilot Prepware. Highly recommend the app at least. As far as a bundle, I tried to save money by skipping it but probably wound up buying 90% of the stuff anyway.

Thanks for the input all.

Quote Originally Posted by SKoerber View Post
    I used Gleim as the primary means. Also used the Android app Private Pilot Prepware. Highly recommend the app at least. As far as a bundle, I tried to save money by skipping it but probably wound up buying 90% of the stuff anyway.
    SKoerber, I'm learning that there can be half a dozen Android apps with almost identical names. Is this app, Prepware - Private Pilot the one you're referring to?

Thanks heaps!

If you are looking just to pass the written test, I used http://dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/G...hool/index.asp for written tests through ATP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is the one. It will definitely prepare you for the written.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    Thanks for the input all.

SKoerber, I'm learning that there can be half a dozen Android apps with almost identical names. Is this app, Prepware - Private Pilot the one you're referring to?

Thanks heaps!

The King schools stuff works. But they are hard to watch for extended periods of time. Years ago I was falling asleep watching the instrument stuff on a video tape. ( might have been BETA ) anyway, I must have learned something in my sleep since that old machine would auto re-wind and then play again. Because I knew answers on the written and I was not sure why I knew them....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The King schools stuff works. But they are hard to watch for extended periods of time. Years ago I was falling asleep watching the instrument stuff on a video tape. ( might have been BETA ) anyway, I must have learned something in my sleep since that old machine would auto re-wind and then play again. Because I knew answers on the written and I was not sure why I knew them....
    Good to know! That's going to be my plan next time I have to study for something!
    Louis Knapp

I used King Schools online course, worked for me, though they are cheesy. Also read through some of the FAA pubs, Stick and Rudder, etc.