Thread: Whittier? 1st time. Any suggestions?

Default Whittier? 1st time. Any suggestions?

Going out of Whittier for the first time this weekend. Saturday in the A.M. Saw one post about Main Bay looks nice there. looking to catch salmon and halibut. Also a decent place to anchor up and pitch a tent on shore. Any suggestions? Range is about 120 miles round trip. Whats a good setup to catch salmon? Been fishing in the Bering Sea all my life and this area is all new too me.

Thanks

Bering Sea

Get a chart, watch the tides. Use your GPS so you don't get lost.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Got that part Squared Away

I have my 150 ton offshore Master License and my GPS equipment and Laptop from my Commercial Vessel. So that part is taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by BeringSea View Post
    I have my 150 ton offshore Master License and my GPS equipment and Laptop from my Commercial Vessel. So that part is taken care of.

Then all that is left is to have some fun. If you look on the chart for Culross passage, look for Long Bay. At the end of Long Bay os the outlet for Shode Lake. Access to the lower lake is by raft, zodiac etc as it is a tidal lake (high tide). But there are a few nice place along the bay you can camp on shore, in fact there are lots of places in Culross that are nice.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Get the Lethcoe's cruising guide to PWS, it is well worth the money.

So far I can only tell you how not to catch fish in PWS, but I plan to be out for 3 days this weekend to break that trend.

Setups for salmon depend on the species. This time of year the silvers should be in, so a medium weight rod, 20# mono, a 2-3# line sinker, 18-24" leader with a 3/0 hook w/ some flash and a postage stamp sized slab of herring works well. You can either troll or mooch such a setup. Also can be dropped down to bottom for rockfish. Or, a 2-4 oz point wilson dart jigged in whatever depth the salmon are holding will work well, and also take rockfish and halibut.

Most of the sound is very deep, so the key is to find structure you can reach without needing an anchor to get your bait down there.

Default Thanks

Cool thanks you all been helpful