Thread: Sea star hydraulic steering question

Default Sea star hydraulic steering question

So, I was out looking for deer today and my seastar hydraulic arm developed a seal leak when we started out, it took an hour or two before I lost steering. (I didn't realize the leak right away.)
    The temp fix was luckily I had the filler hose for the helm unit and screwed that into a windex bottle upside down, taped to the window. Only had some synthetic motor oil to fill with.

Do others have bad luck with sea star seals? Maybe because of the cold? Is there a more desirable brand, I'm sure they won't warranty it as its 2 years old. Thanks,

Same scenario on another customers boat doing same thing a few weeks ago.
    Anything stuck on the shaft like fish scales, frozen debris this time of year, anything really, will take out the outer seal. Your not the first to find this out.
    Be aware and keep them clean I suppose.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Same scenario on another customers boat doing same thing a few weeks ago.
    Anything stuck on the shaft like fish scales, frozen debris this time of year, anything really, will take out the outer seal. Your not the first to find this out.
    Be aware and keep them clean I suppose.
    Bk
    Thanks bk, I'm sure there was misc frozen things on it. I guess I will have one more thing to dump hot water on before heading out!
    Was looking online , looks like a couple seals with the right tools and no prob.

That and a bottle or two of oil and someone to help you bleed the system. Call Seastar with your system number (located on the front of the cylinder), they give you two kit #'s to pursue. One with tool and another without.
    Then you'll have an extra seal end to keep on the boat too, as they come in pairs.
    Add another task to your preflight, right?!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

bet ya the cold shrunk the seal a bit and it leaked. i've changed them many times when i had my bowpicker, never had the "tool" just picked out the old seal and might of used a bronze pin to hammer the new seal in. I made up a quart oil bottle with a piece of tubing glued into the cap with 5200 to use for filling the helm with oil. I always used airplane hydro oil in my helms nice and thin so steering never was stiff when it got colder.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Think I posted this before..but here it is again

There is a wiper ring and a lip seal inside the nut. Remove the nut, remove the lip seal and replace with a #210 "O" ring. Costs about ten cents. The wiper ring doesn't seal anything it just wipes the rod as it travels. The lip seal does the sealing and that's where the problem is, they don't last. The "O" ring is more robust and will last longer. If you insist on going back with the original seal here are the part numbers. You can get any of these at any hydraulic shop, I only use the #210 "O" rings myself. I also use it in the helm reservoir instead of the "Quad ring".

210 'O' ring - use this instead of U seal below.
    DSU 12-0.75-12 - this is a U seal
    HW- 0750N - wiper ring

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    Think I posted this before..but here it is again

There is a wiper ring and a lip seal inside the nut. Remove the nut, remove the lip seal and replace with a #210 "O" ring. Costs about ten cents. The wiper ring doesn't seal anything it just wipes the rod as it travels. The lip seal does the sealing and that's where the problem is, they don't last. The "O" ring is more robust and will last longer. If you insist on going back with the original seal here are the part numbers. You can get any of these at any hydraulic shop, I only use the #210 "O" rings myself. I also use it in the helm reservoir instead of the "Quad ring".

210 'O' ring - use this instead of U seal below.
    DSU 12-0.75-12 - this is a U seal
    HW- 0750N - wiper ring
    Very nice! I appreciate it and will give it a whirl, I also decided I am going to try some AW 32 hydraulic fluid and see how long it lasts. I have a 5gal bucket leftover from backhoe so shouldn't run out right away

Little late to the post but I had the same thing happen out looking for deer. Never lost the steering but got close. I carry a complete set of seals, the tools to change them and a couple quarts of fluid on board now just in case.

I also now pay close attention to the shafts and such, keep them free of stuff.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson