Thread: Oar set up for 15 ft XL Kaboat?

Default Oar set up for 15 ft XL Kaboat?

So I have a 15 foot XL Kaboat, and build a frame last season. So my ? now is. What are you guys using for oar towers, oar locks, and oars ( length ) I'm figuring 6 footers and 6 inch towers but would like to know what works, rather than having to do this twice, Thanks in advance.

oars ???? have you try-ed what you got? then go from there,

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    So I have a 15 foot XL Kaboat, and build a frame last season. So my ? now is. What are you guys using for oar towers, oar locks, and oars ( length ) I'm figuring 6 footers and 6 inch towers but would like to know what works, rather than having to do this twice, Thanks in advance.
    I plan on building mine this winter, and I got 7 footers. I recommend getting 7 foot oars over the 6 foots. A good friend of mine here on the forums (and here in Dham), AK_Takidermist, shared his experience with me.

I'll notify him, and see if he'd chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    oars ???? have you try-ed what you got? then go from there,
    The ones on them are ok...just ok. I use them when I am fishing, but they suck if you are loaded and need to really pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I plan on building mine this winter, and I got 7 footers. I recommend getting 7 foot oars over the 6 foots. A good friend of mine here on the forums (and here in Dham), AK_Takidermist, shared his experience with me.

I'll notify him, and see if he'd chime in.
    Thanks that would be great.

https://www.nrs.com/boating_tips/oarlength.asp

Oar risers should be above your knees so it depends on seat height. Oar length depends on width between oar locks.

Thinking mine for my 15 ft Saturn were 7' Catract mini magnum there 2 piece. Great oars. Wish my risers were taller they will hit my knees.
    https://www.steepandcheap.com/catara...t%20oars|mt:be

I put together a chain-link-fence post frame with Frontier Play fittings with 6" NRS oar towers and 6' oars for my 15XL. It's not ideal and intended only as a backup. If I were doing more heavier duty white water I'd do it totally different. Works fine on a lake putzsing along or on calm rivers.

The oars that come with the raft are...are.....um...not good or worth even using. I put one in my "extra crap that I hope I never have to use" bag that goes in the raft.

Yeah Mt Al The oars that come with it are all right. Used them on the little su, willow, and little willow and they did ok but not very comfortable and with the frame they rub.
    kk alaska thanks for the links. The one says 7 foot min for 48 inch between the locks. It also says 1/3 of the oar in side the oar mount and 2/3 out. Mine should be about 32 inches if I remember right. Do you think 6 foot oars would be ok or is longer better. I would really like to keep them as short as possible but not at a compromise of handling Thanks again.