Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: '17/'18 Trapping and predator hunting pics!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Last marten of the season from Sunday..

Nice! Those are some beautiful marten Steve. Did you read my last post about the bunnies sabotaging my lynx sets? Almost every one of my lynx sets was sprung by rabbits and some of the rabbits actually got caught in the snares too. Any suggestions for me?

It's only going to get worse the next few years as the rabbits increase. The good thing is the cats will increase also. During peak years it wasn't un common for me to have 10-12 rabbits stacked like cord wood in the back of a lynx cubby when populations were high. Criss cross a couple of sticks in front of the cubby sometimes keeps them out..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    It's only going to get worse the next few years as the rabbits increase. The good thing is the cats will increase also. During peak years it wasn't un common for me to have 10-12 rabbits stacked like cord wood in the back of a lynx cubby when populations were high. Criss cross a couple of sticks in front of the cubby sometimes keeps them out..
    Cool, thanks bro. Why do the rabbits want to go into the cubbies anyway? It's the weirdest thing.

I was just talking with the owner of the trapping supply store in eagle river and he told me that a guy down in southeast uses a pressure washer to flesh his otters. What he does is he takes the wand off and screws the nozzle directly to the handle, then he places the otter on a 4 inch piece of pvc and then proceeds to blast all the flesh and fat off in one inch strips. I would assume that a fleshing board would work just fine in place of the pvc. He said it takes him about five minutes to flesh an otter and it comes out perfect every time. Wish I would have known that trick a week ago.

[QUOTE]The last two checks I had rabbits jump through or knock down my snares for lynx. Not sure how to correct it. Any advice would be appreciated. I've never had this problem before.

Try raising your snare about 2" put a grass stem as a chin lifter. Put a bit of Menthol (Vicks, Ben Gay etc) on a small stick near the entrance to your set. Hares don't like it and cats curiously seem to either ignore it ...or I've even seen sign where they've rubbed on it.

Try raising your snare about 2" put a grass stem as a chin lifter. Put a bit of Menthol (Vicks, Ben Gay etc) on a small stick near the entrance to your set. Hares don't like it and cats curiously seem to either ignore it ...or I've even seen sign where they've rubbed on it.
    Great advice! Thanks KasitsnaBay. Just the advice I was looking for. I'll try that next year. Had to pull all my cat sets over the weekend. I'd give you more rep points if I could. Says I gotta wait awhile first.

Here's a pic of another otter and a nice burbot taken this weekend from Akhardwater. He asked me to share with you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    I was just talking with the owner of the trapping supply store in eagle river and he told me that a guy down in southeast uses a pressure washer to flesh his otters. What he does is he takes the wand off and screws the nozzle directly to the handle, then he places the otter on a 4 inch piece of pvc and then proceeds to blast all the flesh and fat off in one inch strips. I would assume that a fleshing board would work just fine in place of the pvc. He said it takes him about five minutes to flesh an otter and it comes out perfect every time. Wish I would have known that trick a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Here's a pic of another otter and a nice burbot taken this weekend from Akhardwater. He asked me to share with you guys.

And this is what happens when you use a pressure washer to flesh an otter. Akhardwater said it worked like a charm, but he highly recommends using a face shield because his face got splattered with fat.

Cool! Did you try eating him Brian? I've always wanted to try beaver. I've heard they are not bad.
    After the phone conversation today that I had with my buddy that just moved back to MI., it was some of, if not the best, meat he's ever eaten! He trapped two kits in the last couple days. Said he put a bit of a hindquarter in a pan with a little salt and pepper and said he couldn't believe how good it was. He's got the crock pot going now with some in it as we speak. After that conversation I googled beaver recipes and found all kinds of stuff on it. One thing they all had in common though was how good eating the meat was. One link said how the beaver burgers they made were better than any beef burgers you could ever get. Phil, my buddy, said it was like eating a chunk of prime rib! Would like to try it myself someday.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If you guys haven't tried beaver you should we generally just pot roast it I prefer the med/sm ones the little kits are good too but not much to the tail and back feet which is a delicacy for us
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    If you guys haven't tried beaver you should we generally just pot roast it I prefer the med/sm ones the little kits are good too but not much to the tail and back feet which is a delicacy for us
    Do you roast the feet like you do the tail? Does the hide/skin blister and come off fairly easy like it does on the tail? As far as poundage goes, approx. how does a kit compare with the med/sm ones? I guess I should ask, is a 20 pounder still considered a kit? I ask for that friend that has never caught any beaver before and caught 2 a few days ago. He said one was at 20 pounds and the other just a little smaller. Thanks.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

boil the feet till they are soft on the palm 1/2-1 hour cool peel the fur and brown skin and eat
    sm I would say 10-20lbs, Med 20-40, lg anything above 40 is getting pretty good XL 50 and over thats in the area I trap it can vary depending on avaliable food and how much time they spend locked in ice every year
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

A couple more nice kitty cats to round out the season.

Congratulations! Man, I'm feeling jealous. This is the first year in a long time that I didn't make any effort at predator calling. I had every intention of getting out last weekend, but things conspired against me. I might still go make a try at some coyotes, but lynx calling is what I really wanted to do. Next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Congratulations! Man, I'm feeling jealous. This is the first year in a long time that I didn't make any effort at predator calling. I had every intention of getting out last weekend, but things conspired against me. I might still go make a try at some coyotes, but lynx calling is what I really wanted to do. Next year!
    Thanks Brian, yeah we did pretty good on cats this year. We would have done better too if we didn't have cannabalistic cats on our line. Check out this 2-headed lynx we caught too!

Just kidding. I was just having a little fun. I took a head from another lynx that got eaten and made it look like it had 2 heads.

Yeah, I saw that story before. Crazy! I didn't realize cats would do that, as I've only hunted them.

Sure hope this upswing in the population lasts another year or three. I sure want to get after them while the hunting is good, and I really want to have another opportunity to cook with lynx meat.

We would have done better too if we didn't have cannabalistic cats on our line.
    I believe that means there is a shortage of rabbits and other food thus the larger lynx, or any lynx will eat other lynx, especially if its' already dead. Other times I have seen that the trappers quit using snares or place stops on the snare so it doesn't kill the lynx. Cats die very quickly in a snare.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I believe that means there is a shortage of rabbits and other food thus the larger lynx, or any lynx will eat other lynx, especially if its' already dead. Other times I have seen that the trappers quit using snares or place stops on the snare so it doesn't kill the lynx. Cats die very quickly in a snare.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I figured martentrapper. I can't always get out to my line every few days or every week. So I don't usually use foot traps. Most of my trapping is out by my cabin which is over 3 hours away from my house.

Picked up this nice black wolf this past week.

That is just beautiful. Great job!

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast