Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More on downriggers

Default More on downriggers

I know this has been covered before, just looking to see if anyone has new ideas or experiences. I've been a Scotty downrigger guy for 20+ years. My last two boats have had the Scotty 1106 riggers, and for the most part I've been pleased. Some minor issues but they generally work and work well. The manual decent has been an issue for me, probably because I'm used to it.

I'm getting ready to order riggers for the new build and looking for opinions. Recently got a recommendation from friend in the guide business to go Cannon. I've been on boats with the Cannon riggers, just haven't personally owned them before.

Anyone use the 1116 pro pack from Scotty, or perhaps the 2106 model?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I have electric cannons and I wish I had got scottys so I could use braid. There isn't a way to use braid with a cannon that I'm aware of. I'm also not a big fan of the cannon plugs, I've had issues getting a good connection. The downriggers work fine when they are working. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have the Scotty 1116 Pro packs, and pretty much like everything about them. I converted to the braid and get less scoping when trolling. I rarely push then out to the wider settings as it is hard to get a hold of the ball and the clips when they are out. I think I have had mine for around 10 years and they are still going strong. I think the only failure I have had is changing out the plugs once due to corrosion and one of the counters failed. I would certainly choose them again. I typically stack 2 poles on each of them, but you have to be careful who you let run them when they are stacked or you can make a mess. Much more fool proof with the auto-stop and one line per downrigger.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I like Scotty and now I love cannon digi troll 10! Positive ion control, programmed up down cycle, I did add a adapter plate to mount on existing s

Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I like Scotty and now I love cannon digi troll 10! Positive ion control, programmed up down cycle, I did add a adapter plate to mount on existing s

Scotty mounts, plus I used a dremmel to make a Scotty cable guide fit on the cannon boom, the cable would not spool in the center and make a terrible noise as it cycled up and down but with the modified Scotty guide itís all good

Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

[QUOTE=hoose35;1620047]I have electric cannons and I wish I had got scottys so I could use braid. There isn't a way to use braid with a cannon that I'm aware of. I'm also not a big fan of the cannon plugs, I've had issues getting a good connection. The downriggers work fine when they are working. I

Why can't you use braid on Cannon's? I've bee wanting to do this for awhile now.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

[QUOTE=Rob B;1620075]
    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I have electric cannons and I wish I had got scottys so I could use braid. There isn't a way to use braid with a cannon that I'm aware of. I'm also not a big fan of the cannon plugs, I've had issues getting a good connection. The downriggers work fine when they are working. I

Why can't you use braid on Cannon's? I've bee wanting to do this for awhile now.
    They use the conductivity of the wire for auto stop

Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Cannon No issues at all, (non electric) except when a rookie doesn't listen and free falls the weight at warp speed.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Been using Scotty 1106s for about 10 years with no problems. Several years ago I switched to Power Pro Braid and would not go back to SS wire - less drag, easy to attach the end swivel and no noise. I also picked up a 2106 HP unit two years ago to use with heavy balls (up to 20#).

It is were me I would go with the 2106s - smooth, fast retrieve and work well with heavy balls.

Anybody using the chamberlain releases when running braid instead of cable?

We use the Sscotty HP's on my pal's boat. Year round use including dragging them thru the ice on occasion and heavy kelp. I wouldn't use anything else for heavy charter use. They're fast and will pull a 20lb ball and braid is the bomb for ease. Cable can be tuned electrically tho to attract fish.
    If you're using cable when you get your boat in the water, check the current on the wire with gear down and trolling.
    All almunim boats are conductors and you might be surprised on what you see.
    The Cannons are great cept slower and no braid but easy to operate.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I use the 1116 pro pack.

I like them but I do not like halibut eating my 10 pound downrigger balls breaking off my SS connection........\

Sometimes I have to help feed the line out a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I have the Scotty 1116 Pro packs, and pretty much like everything about them. I converted to the braid and get less scoping when trolling. I rarely push then out to the wider settings as it is hard to get a hold of the ball and the clips when they are out. I think I have had mine for around 10 years and they are still going strong. I think the only failure I have had is changing out the plugs once due to corrosion and one of the counters failed. I would certainly choose them again. I typically stack 2 poles on each of them, but you have to be careful who you let run them when they are stacked or you can make a mess. Much more fool proof with the auto-stop and one line per downrigger.
    These things are around 12$ per. Worth twice that much IMO. Scotty 3025 downrigger retriever.

I ordered a pair of the 2106b downriggers today off of Amazon. Going to try out the Chamberlain releases as well. Thanks for the input.

Before ordering from Amazon check out www.johnssportinggoods.com

Shop is located in Everett, WA. They will ship most items free, except downriggers. They set me up with Scottys and braid in the store while I waited. I've ordered a lot of items I can't find in Juneau from them. Also they'll ship 4 downrigger balls free.

I've run everything fro Proo's to Scotty, been using Big Jon the last 8yrs but the motors kept giving me water intrusion issues. Great customer service and great is fresh. I just started working with Bill at Magnum Metalz, serious fisherman that has built some great riggers, fully machined aluminum rigger, no plastic bases to give out. Has 2 different motor options, 130fpm and 200fpm, both will pull 50lbs of lead with no problems, they pull like a Cummins, only silent. I've got 2 so far and it looks like I'll be getting 2 more this spring. They are small as well, about half the size of a Cannon or Scotty. Never liked Cannon, Scotty, well, for the price it should come with a down switch, not a brake release, nor do I want plastic at major leverage points.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I've run everything fro Proo's to Scotty, been using Big Jon the last 8yrs but the motors kept giving me water intrusion issues. Great customer service and great is fresh. I just started working with Bill at Magnum Metalz, serious fisherman that has built some great riggers, fully machined aluminum rigger, no plastic bases to give out. Has 2 different motor options, 130fpm and 200fpm, both will pull 50lbs of lead with no problems, they pull like a Cummins, only silent. I've got 2 so far and it looks like I'll be getting 2 more this spring. They are small as well, about half the size of a Cannon or Scotty. Never liked Cannon, Scotty, well, for the price it should come with a down switch, not a brake release, nor do I want plastic at major leverage points.
    I just spent some time on the Magnum Metalz website. Man those things looks really nice. What sort of power plug are they using? Did I miss it, or does it not have an auto stop feature?

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I just spent some time on the Magnum Metalz website. Man those things looks really nice. What sort of power plug are they using? Did I miss it, or does it not have an auto stop feature?
    I agree that they are nice looking downriggers for not much of a price difference. Whatever the plugs are, I would recommend using the scotty plugs, since over time they all corrode, and both male and female ends are readily available in town. I have changed mine a couple of time as they start having contact issues. Really easy, just two wire and all you have to do is make sure you get the polarity correct.

If my scottys ever die I would think about one of these, but I agree if there is no autostop, that would be an issue.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I agree that they are nice looking downriggers for not much of a price difference. Whatever the plugs are, I would recommend using the scotty plugs, since over time they all corrode, and both male and female ends are readily available in town. I have changed mine a couple of time as they start having contact issues. Really easy, just two wire and all you have to do is make sure you get the polarity correct.

If my scottys ever die I would think about one of these, but I agree if there is no autostop, that would be an issue.
    Agreed on the autostop, I love that feature. I used to have a real problems with my downrigger plugs, then I started using dielectric grease. Give them a good coating twice or more a year on both male and female receptors. Solved that problem quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Agreed on the autostop, I love that feature. I used to have a real problems with my downrigger plugs, then I started using dielectric grease. Give them a good coating twice or more a year on both male and female receptors. Solved that problem quickly.
    Every single connection on any boat that is in saltwater should have dielectric grease on it. For screws or different metal connection types should get an application of Tef-Gel or similar anti-corrosion grease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast