Thread: 1996 Skandic 500 - Flooding with Fuel

Question 1996 Skandic 500 - Flooding with Fuel

Hey all,

I bought this machine late last winter from the original owner. It's a pull-start with about 2K miles, and is in great condition.

On my first trip out last winter I was riding across an open lake, so I decided to put the machine through it's paces, and it ran great. I then idled to a stop and the machine died. No matter what I tried out there I couldn't get it started again, so I had to have someone help me drag the machine back to my trailer, which was a PITA. It sat in my trailer until April when I finally got around to troubleshooting it.

I dragged the machine into my garage to work on it last April. It seemed to be getting plenty of fuel, so I looked at spark. Spark seemed weak, so I replaced the sparkplugs. The machine would not start, so I replaced the coil. Machine started and idled well, although a bit slow. I increased the idle speed a bit, and parked the machine in my trailer.

Fast-forward to yesterday. I tried starting the machine. It apparently flooded based on the wet sparkplugs and fuel dripping out the the exhaust. I removed the sparkplugs and left the engine overnight to allow the fuel to evaporate from inside the engine. I reinstalled the sparkplugs, pulled the starter, the machine fired, ran for about 1 second, then died. I tried starting it again, and again it flooded. I checked spark, and spark was very good. I took apart the carbs and cleaned them, tested the floats by filling the float bowls, and the floats functioned well. I checked float setting, looked perfect. I checked spring action of the needle and seat...perhaps a little weak, but I re-installed the carbs hoping the cleaned carbs would solve the flooding problem. I tried starting the machine. It flooded. I dried the sparkplugs and reinstalled them, but the machine flooded and would not start.

Today I ordered replacement needle and seat for both carbs. I figure while I'm at it I may as well replace the needles, too, so I also ordered them. While I have the carbs off and open to replace the needle and seats, and needles, is there anything else I should do to solve the flooding problem?

I would ck the choke plungers, make sure that there is some slack in the cable, the one's I have worked with have a rubber tiped plunger maybe one of them is not seating correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    I would ck the choke plungers, make sure that there is some slack in the cable, the one's I have worked with have a rubber tiped plunger maybe one of them is not seating correctly.
    What he said, Hunter is dead on , Those rubber tips , or the cable itself . If i recall from lever a single cable than it split,y looking thing to go to each carb right there, might have some rust,fraying, 21 year old machine not letting them return freely too position . Let us know what you find .
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Thanks, I will check both plungers when I install the parts I ordered. Holidays are slowing down shipping, ugh.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you make sure the seat for the needle was clean? Sometimes a bit of corrosion or a grain of sand will keep the needle from completely sealing off as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKmud, when I recently had the carbs off the machine I used compressed air to blow out all the openings. This should have cured anything like you described, but I'll do so again when I install the new parts...Still waiting on the parts to arrive, and I'll be out of state on vacation next week, so it'll be a couple weeks until I have news.

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions so far.

Happy holidays

Update: I installed the new needle and seat in both carbs, and honestly could not confirm the choke plungers were properly seating...Still flooding without firing, so I dropped my machine off at AK Snowmachine Salvage for repair. I'll know what they do to solve the problem in about 2 weeks.

Happy riding everyone

I know with mine, NEVER choke it. I try to pull it first and if it doesn't start I prime it and start again. I find that it doesn't take much gas to flood it out. When I do, I pull the plugs like you and heat the plugs up on the woodstove. The only other thing would be crud sticking the float.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Daveinthebush, I cleaned both carbs and tested the floats. Floats functioned properly when I filled the float bowls, so I think the floats are okay. I admit I had choked it at least halfway because the air temp was cold every time I tried starting it...Maybe I should not have choked it...

I am interested to hear what ASS says they "fixed"...I fear they'll "clean the carbs", drain the full tank of fresh regular unleaded gas (to which I had already added isopropyl), replace it with a couple gallons of racing fuel, and the machine will run for them. Then I'll get the machine back and it will not run for me! Time will tell.

I know I had issues with mine for a couple of years. Seem that I got some bad fuel and rotted the fuel lines (Also happened in the outboard kicker, weed eater, chainsaw and pot puller.) Every time I replaced one, another section went bad. Finally replace every line in everything. Scandic still did not run. Finally found the line inside the tank had rotted off so replaced that. What a mess. I replaced the machine with a 2017 Scandic 4 stroke. Now the old Scandic runs like a champ. You can't beat them they are like a tank and plow thru anything.

I checked the fuel line and filter inside the gas tank, too...Both looked like new.

Update: ASS called me late yesterday and told me my machine was fixed. They cleaned the carbs and needle/seat. I reminded them I had done the same including replacing the needle and seat. They told me my machine was fixed and ready for pickup, and I was happy. I planned to pickup the machine tonight. This morning I received another call from them. Apparently they went to start my machine in their yard to move it this morning and it wouldn't start. Mechanic said he thought it was lack of spark. I told them I replaced the coil last year, and had visually confirmed good spark before I delivered the machine to them last week...They said they'll work on it and get back to me...I am interested to hear the next report...

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    I checked the fuel line and filter inside the gas tank, too...Both looked like new.

Update: ASS called me late yesterday and told me my machine was fixed. They cleaned the carbs and needle/seat. I reminded them I had done the same including replacing the needle and seat. They told me my machine was fixed and ready for pickup, and I was happy. I planned to pickup the machine tonight. This morning I received another call from them. Apparently they went to start my machine in their yard to move it this morning and it wouldn't start. Mechanic said he thought it was lack of spark. I told them I replaced the coil last year, and had visually confirmed good spark before I delivered the machine to them last week...They said they'll work on it and get back to me...I am interested to hear the next report...
    The truck never squeaks when you take it to the dealer. Only after you leave again. At least it would not start for them after the tried to fix it. They just might fix it now.

The mechanic at ASS replaced the coil and he reported my machine immediately started and ran great. When I picked it up yesterday I started it and turned it off several times to test it. It ran flawlessly. Given the coil has been replaced twice in the last year my concern is the stator may have a problem, but to my knowledge a stator either works or it doesn't. The stator in my machine is working because it is currently making spark...I'll be certain to ride with someone who has a machine of their own next I go out on my machine in case my machine has another spark-related problem.

The mechanic was impressed with the condition of my machine, and told me 5 different people asked him if my machine was for sale while he was working on it. There is definitely demand for Skandics. It took me 10 years to accumulate the 2, '96's and 1, '98 I and my family use. I plan to keep them.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Hopefully, this story ends here...