Thread: book recommendations

Default book recommendations

anybody have any aviation books they might recommend for alaska flying (ie bush, ski, float, stol)?
    thanks!

There are several on the forum "Store" and they are 40% discounted.
    Are you wanting "How To" books, or teaching books, or Alaska aviation books......???

If you want to read about off airport land plane techniques this Off Airport Ops Guide is good.
    The 70/50 rule, have 70% of liftoff speed at 50% of runway, works pretty well. There is also
    a table for estimating runway distance based on time of flyby at various air speeds.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti.../AOAOG_Web.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    There are several on the forum "Store" and they are 40% discounted.
    Are you wanting "How To" books, or teaching books, or Alaska aviation books......???
    nothing in particular...just an aviation book that someone either found enjoyable to read or had good teaching/tricks of the trade information. there are a lot of aviation books out there and i was just looking for a jumping point from someone who had any recommendations.
    thanks upstream for the guide. that has some great info and i loved the pictures on it.
    thanks!

One of my all time favorite aviation books is "Wind Sand and Stars" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. His descriptions are amazing, he pioneered mail routes and his writing is hard to put down.

From wikipedia:
    "Saint-Exupéry was a successful commercial pilot before World War II, working airmail routes in Europe, Africa and South America. At the outbreak of war, he joined the French Air Force (Armée de l'Air), flying reconnaissance missions until France's armistice with Germany in 1940. After being demobilised from the French Air Force, he travelled to the United States to help persuade its government to enter the war against Nazi Germany. Following a 27-month hiatus in North America, during which he wrote three of his most important works, he joined the Free French Air Force in North Africa, although he was far past the maximum age for such pilots and in declining health. He disappeared over the Mediterranean on a reconnaissance mission in July 1944, and is believed to have died at that time."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery is my favorite too. I'd also recommend anything by Ernest Gann. Nevil Shute has some great flying stories as does Richard Bach (pre Jonathan Livingston Seagull).
    Louis Knapp

Hands down the best book I've ever read of bush flying:

https://www.amazon.com/Fly-Wild-Stay...dp/0967311667/
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

thanks for the recommendations...look forward to spending some winter nights reading these ones.

Wager with the Wind: The Don Sheldon Story
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

"Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langeweisch (sp?)
    "F.E. Potts Guide to Bush Flying" (IIRC).

"Glacier Pilot" (Bob Reeve)
    Back in AK

Try "Seaplanes Along the Inside Passage" by Bruder. Certainly, "Stick and Rudder" tops the list, of course. Or you might enjoy any of my three books, available on Amazon.com.

The two best books I've read about flying in Alaska are "Flying the Alaska Wild" and "The Alaska Bush Pilot Chronicles." I forget the name of the author but they are easily the best written books on flying up here. The only books I've ever read that once I started I couldn't put down.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    The two best books I've read about flying in Alaska are "Flying the Alaska Wild" and "The Alaska Bush Pilot Chronicles." I forget the name of the author but they are easily the best written books on flying up here. The only books I've ever read that once I started I couldn't put down.
    I wrote them, as well as "Flying the Alaska Bush".

Mort Mason

I know you did Mort, just a shameless endorsement by me.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    I know you did Mort, just a shameless endorsement by me.
    ​All is forgiven. In fact, none was required!