Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Used snowmachines

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have a 2007 Yamaha RS Venture GT and am still running on the original battery.
    From the dealer when I bought it they installed the cold weather kit consisting of block heater, battery blanket and charger.
    If I had bought one of those Arctic Crap sleds and had to deal with that it would have suffered from an inexplicable fire and been totally demolished.
    Then I would take the insurance $$$ and buy a real sled.

On your yamahaha do you have to take a generator along with you to run all that heating crap?

I would have to say Yes, 110v you have to plug into something. That's where the 2 strokes shine with there pull start. If it is -30 to -40 below I would have to have a good reason to be out there, everything gets pretty brittle in those temps no matter what machine you own. Certain preparations, precautions and procedures should be followed .
    The machines I own or are around, Doo,, V800, 600 ace and my buddy's Viking Pro, will start down to -20to-25 below no problem, have to watch the Pro with it being Carbed, not to flood it . When it is -25-30 they get a little grumpy, past -30 you are going to have a problem . If your at your Cabin and running a generator , not a big deal. Like a car/truck or airplane it is so much easier on your starter, batt. and motor to pre heat them. I was out there -38 below, everytime I put wood on the fire 4-6hrs, I just went out there and started my machine let it warm up ,than after shut down I used a old GI wool blanket to cover the motor and used the cover to hold the heat in, warmed up to-28 and made back to town . I than installed block heater and batt blanket. I have only used these 2 times in the 8 years that I have owned it . Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it ,,, or something like that. I guess it is what you are willing to put up with when you buy those models of machines. On our side of the world, Like it or not , the Greenies and EPA emissions standards, is going to make and has made the 2 stroke as we know it, {that's how the Etec came into play} go by the way side .Go and try to buy a 2 stroke 20- 25hp outboard motor, except the Etec they don't, won't or can't sell them here in a America. Pretty Cool that some of the 2 stroke snowmachines are still hanging in there and we do still have some choices.
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Like it or not , the Greenies and EPA emissions standards, is going to make and has made the 2 stroke as we know it, {that's how the Etec came into play} go by the way side .Go and try to buy a 2 stroke 20- 25hp outboard motor, except the Etec they don't, won't or can't sell them here in a America. Pretty Cool that some of the 2 stroke snowmachines are still hanging in there and we do still have some choices.
    You make it sound like a bad thing, the death of old, carb'd 2strokes. Everyone I know with an ACE or similar, well, you have to pry it out of there cold, dead hands to get them back on a carb'd 2 stroke. Same with small 2 stroke OBs. Give me a 4s any day.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    You make it sound like a bad thing, the death of old, carb'd 2strokes. Everyone I know with an ACE or similar, well, you have to pry it out of there cold, dead hands to get them back on a carb'd 2 stroke. Same with small 2 stroke OBs. Give me a 4s any day.
    I like them both! Couple of years ago with the warm temps and no snow parked the 4 strokes and hauled peoples freight on the 2 strokes. With the warming weather and the chance of sometimes the only way to make it to Alexander is staying on the river on nothing but glare ice the fan cooled is the only way to go. Every machine we have has either studs, or screws. Every machine has ice scrapers. The four strokes are cool but sometimes they have their minuses too. I'm starting to think with these winters being what they are lately I wont be putting that many miles on any machine..... 2 stroke or 4 stroke. The ole Stinson on wheels will be getting a workout though!

[QUOTE=SusitnaAk;1620326]I would have to say Yes, 110v you have to plug into something. That's where the 2 strokes shine with there pull start. If it is -30 to -40 below I would have to have a good reason to be out there, everything gets pretty brittle in those temps no matter what machine you own. Certain preparations, precautions and procedures should be followed .

Ha, SusitnaAk, someone asked me one time how my new 800 SWT started at 20 below. I told them fine started right up. They said oh then you can haul at them temps no problem! I said no, but it will start! LOL. My preperations, precautions, and procedures followed at cold temps for hauling are as follows .Get up look at the weather outside. If it is 10 below or colder go back to bed and then drink coffee and read.

Like or not,{ Meaning you better get used to it .} If you were reading all the post , you would see I am one those guys that run a 4 stroke now and have for the past 8 years the v-800 and few years with the 600 ACE, I am not a basher for what kind of machine you have or looking to buy, everybody makes their own choices, for their own reasons. They all have there problems. As stated, it is what you are willing to put up with. I am pointing out certain things, with certain models that I have experience with, what to do and what to watch for . Mostly so you do not have to walk or get towed back by me, putting a strain on my machine . More times than not, I hear if I only knew that! I could have prevented that. Some are so simple as does it have Gas? Dealer told me I would get 29 miles to a gal and they run out . or do you have a spare belt? Oh that was and extra 120.00 dollars more! You would not believe some of the stuff I hear, when they got the hood up and looking pretty down because they can't figure out what is going on ....

[QUOTE=alexander;1620398]
    I would have to say Yes, 110v you have to plug into something. That's where the 2 strokes shine with there pull start. If it is -30 to -40 below I would have to have a good reason to be out there, everything gets pretty brittle in those temps no matter what machine you own. Certain preparations, precautions and procedures should be followed .

Ha, SusitnaAk, someone asked me one time how my new 800 SWT started at 20 below. I told them fine started right up. They said oh then you can haul at them temps no problem! I said no, but it will start! LOL. My preperations, precautions, and procedures followed at cold temps for hauling are as follows .Get up look at the weather outside. If it is 10 below or colder go back to bed and then drink coffee and read.

How true, you always have to consider if everything does not go perfect it can become a survival thing and at 30 below it can be a challenge to just survive.

[QUOTE=alexander;1620398]

....... ........

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    I like them both! Couple of years ago with the warm temps and no snow parked the 4 strokes and hauled peoples freight on the 2 strokes. With the warming weather and the chance of sometimes the only way to make it to Alexander is staying on the river on nothing but glare ice the fan cooled is the only way to go. Every machine we have has either studs, or screws. Every machine has ice scrapers. The four strokes are cool but sometimes they have their minuses too. I'm starting to think with these winters being what they are lately I wont be putting that many miles on any machine..... 2 stroke or 4 stroke. The ole Stinson on wheels will be getting a workout though!
    And Alexander used to put more miles on his machines than anybody, in 1/2 the amount of time {Because even the ducks have enough sense to leave when it snows } What he is referring too and something to watch out for, {the Minuses if you buy a used Ski Doo SWT in the Yetii platform} is studding, it is a traction thing. Problem is they put the track so close to the cooler that you would tear it up and cost big bucks if you put a hole in one of them ..There is couple tricks to get around that, Doo talk form is your friend. The fans, you don't have that concern.Not so much a cooling of the motor thing, 4 strokes have far superior cooling system than that of a 2 stroke, because like a ATV they have a radiator with a fan and use coolers too.

Like or not,{ Meaning you better get used to it .} If you were reading all the post , you would see I am one those guys that run a 4 stroke now and have for the past 8 years the v-800 and few years with the 600 ACE, I am not a basher for what kind of machine you have or looking to buy, everybody makes their own choices, for their own reasons. They all have there problems. As stated, it is what you are willing to put up with. I am pointing out certain things, with certain models that I have experience with, what to do and what to watch for . Mostly so you do not have to walk or get towed back by me, putting a strain on my machine . More times than not, I hear if I only knew that! I could have prevented that. Some are so simple as does it have Gas? Dealer told me I would get 29 miles to a gal and they run out . or do you have a spare belt? Oh that was and extra 120.00 dollars more! You would not believe some of the stuff I hear, when they got the hood up and looking pretty down because they can't figure out what is going on ....
    I should have put the old winking/smiling emoji.
    Cheers and Merry Christmas gentleman.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I should have put the old winking/smiling emoji.
    Cheers and Merry Christmas gentleman.

Mele Kalikimaka!

And Alexander used to put more miles on his machines than anybody, in 1/2 the amount of time {Because even the ducks have enough sense to leave when it snows } What he is referring too and something to watch out for, {the Minuses if you buy a used Ski Doo SWT in the Yetii platform} is studding, it is a traction thing. Problem is they put the track so close to the cooler that you would tear it up and cost big bucks if you put a hole in one of them ..There is couple tricks to get around that, Doo talk form is your friend. The fans, you don't have that concern.Not so much a cooling of the motor thing, 4 strokes have far superior cooling system than that of a 2 stroke, because like a ATV they have a radiator with a fan and use coolers too.
    if the ice is getting thin I would want to run a 2 stroke as the heavier 4 cycles may just fall through the ice from the extra weight 😳LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    if the ice is getting thin I would want to run a 2 stroke as the heavier 4 cycles may just fall through the ice from the extra weight LOL
    That's what I do! Run the cheapest one and get er done! LOL

Mele Kalikimaka!
    Hawaiian for I need some more injector oil?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Hawaiian for I need some more injector oil?

Hah! Actually it's Merry Christmas but that would be a great Mele Kalikimaka present!

That's what I do! Run the cheapest one and get er done! LOL
    Is that not the truth, we all buy, use what we feel works the best for us and will defend that decision to the end. Merry Christmas everybody hope to see ya on the trail

Hah! Actually it's Merry Christmas but that would be a great Mele Kalikimaka present!
    Christmas in the islands. Us haoles could get used to that!
    Off to the post office, my voltage regulator and dimmer switch for my old BearCat are in, shop time!
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Is that not the truth, we all buy, use what we feel works the best for us and will defend that decision to the end. Merry Christmas everybody hope to see ya on the trail
    And may all your travels be trouble free ...... " god jul og godt nytt ar"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123