Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used snowmachines

Default Used snowmachines

A good reason in my opinion why you do not buy a used machine. LOL

image.jpg

Yep, no cobwebs in that one.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Ah, comeon now you have to have a little fun{ once in awhile} Depends whos driving, where, and whats it landing in. The secret of it is ,you don't want to have that track spinning 90 mph, when you land, the grab factor is what tears up the chain, sprockets , belts, specialty on hard pack. In fluff no problem. Learning how to do that process, is going to cost you The old saying if play you are going to pay.
    Sorry, tried to down load one picture at time from facebook but sent the whole link instead, you can click on them and see couple of photos where we are playing with a little air.
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Ah, comeon now you have to have a little fun{ once in awhile} Depends whos driving, where, and whats it landing in. The secret of it is ,you don't want to have that track spinning 90 mph, when you land, the grab factor is what tears up the chain, sprockets , belts, specialty on hard pack. In fluff no problem. Learning how to do that process, is going to cost you The old saying if play you are going to pay.
    Sorry, tried to down load one picture at time from facebook but sent the whole link instead, you can click on them and see couple of photos where we are playing with a little air.
    Those are great pictures, we are all so lucky to live in Alaska,

BTDT. I have probably owned around 50 snow machines. All but 1 were purchased used. I have 4 right now. But I usually don't buy from kids. They always thrash them. Of course some adults do to. Some folks are better at maintenance. Look it over real good, even underneath. Ask questions. I have checked out low mile machines only to discover it was a training sled for the Iron Dog, or was actually used to race in the Iron Dog. Yeah I passed on those.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Love the pic on top of Sleeping Lady. Made that trip years ago and want to do it again this year if we ever get enough snow. Is there any place to get gas nearby these days? We filled up at Riversong (pretty sure that was the place) when we went but I heard they aren't selling gas anymore. We could probably make it from my buddies cabin but I'd rather not cut it that close if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Love the pic on top of Sleeping Lady. Made that trip years ago and want to do it again this year if we ever get enough snow. Is there any place to get gas nearby these days? We filled up at Riversong (pretty sure that was the place) when we went but I heard they aren't selling gas anymore. We could probably make it from my buddies cabin but I'd rather not cut it that close if possible.
    I would have to ask nearby what ? and what you consider nearby? the Mt. or your buddies Cabin ? Where you coming from? The only thing i can think that might help you out is this link from these poker runs they have in that area , list lodges and phone no#'s . It is a 3 year old thread so some calls would have to be made. Post no#3 Hope that may help you out some.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=poker+run

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    BTDT. I have probably owned around 50 snow machines. All but 1 were purchased used. I have 4 right now. But I usually don't buy from kids. They always thrash them. Of course some adults do to. Some folks are better at maintenance. Look it over real good, even underneath. Ask questions. I have checked out low mile machines only to discover it was a training sled for the Iron Dog, or was actually used to race in the Iron Dog. Yeah I passed on those.
    Oh come on now. If you spend any time looking at Craigslist ads you'd know that all the sleds for sale were only ridden by the wife and only a few times until she decided she didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I also have owned a fair number of used sleds, condition is certainly one to be aware of, but one thing that I have noticed is the asking price for a used machine I some cases they are asking within a couple grand of what new one of the same model sells for and in the end if you are going to finance it the extra money per month would only be maybe 25.00 or 30.00 more so why even chance it anymore?

It's crazy what most people are asking for used sleds, especially mountain sleds. The utility sleds tend to hold their value, but when you see a 2 stroke with 2000+ miles on it going for only 2-3000 less than new........ 2000 miles on a mountain sled, time for a top end rebuild.
    Ive never bought a new mountain sled. If you are patient, you can find some great deals on sleds in perfect shape. Find the sled you want, go have a look with the cash in hand you are willing to pay, make the offer. They either take it or not.
    These days, with 0% financing and low payments over years (on a toy for gawd sakes!!), every one just goes in and finances. It's a buyers market.
    My take on it is that the moment you take it off the lot, knock off 10%.
    A few years ago there was a local group, Yukon Powder Hounds, and they made a bunch of pretty good sled movies; the standard fare of jumping, crashing etc. I remember one kid was selling a REV 800 with the usual stickers on it. The ad stated "as seen in Powder Hounds II". That would be a good one to avoid.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    It's crazy what most people are asking for used sleds, especially mountain sleds. The utility sleds tend to hold their value, but when you see a 2 stroke with 2000+ miles on it going for only 2-3000 less than new........ 2000 miles on a mountain sled, time for a top end rebuild.
    Ive never bought a new mountain sled. If you are patient, you can find some great deals on sleds in perfect shape. Find the sled you want, go have a look with the cash in hand you are willing to pay, make the offer. They either take it or not.
    These days, with 0% financing and low payments over years (on a toy for gawd sakes!!), every one just goes in and finances. It's a buyers market.
    My take on it is that the moment you take it off the lot, knock off 10%.
    A few years ago there was a local group, Yukon Powder Hounds, and they made a bunch of pretty good sled movies; the standard fare of jumping, crashing etc. I remember one kid was selling a REV 800 with the usual stickers on it. The ad stated "as seen in Powder Hounds II". That would be a good one to avoid.
    I for one would agree with your post completely, the truth is yes you may lose 10% out the door but also have the security of know the past history of the sled and a warranty, the icing on the cake is most of the dealers are making great deals for the buyer, so what you think you have lose on a new machine you more them make up on the deep discounts. So my recommendation is to go to a dealer to see what kind of a deal can be made and then go look for a used one and make a informed purchase.

Then there's the con's. Can't hardly work on them yourself, You need diagnostics just to see whats wrong with them. If they do break down then you will be without for a month probably because they take for ever to work on them, and the service that I have seen at lest when it comes to Ski Doo is terrible.

I took two 1997 Polaris 500 Widetracks and made one nice one. The Fuji motor is almost non- destructable and I can put real studs in this one! I thought about it and I can get at least three more and put them in top notch shape for the price of one SWT brand new. Then I would switch them out daily for my freight business. So you would have the longivity of four machines instead of one. If I didn't already have a 2008 Bearcat and the Widetrack I would have been up you know what creek without a paddle. The Strater plate went out on the SWT one time and it took a month to have them actually manufacture one because they didn't make the 800 four stroke anymore.

Just food for thought! If you know how to work on them and have something like the old widetrack with many parts to get if you need them then I think your money ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Then there's the con's. Can't hardly work on them yourself, You need diagnostics just to see whats wrong with them. If they do break down then you will be without for a month probably because they take for ever to work on them, and the service that I have seen at lest when it comes to Ski Doo is terrible.

I took twp 1997 Polaris 500 Widetracks and made one nice one. The Fuji motor is almost non- destructable and I can put real studs in this one! I thought about i and I can get at least three more and put them in top notch shape for the price of one SWT brand new. Then I would switch them out daily for my freight business. So you would have the longivity of four machines instead of one. If I didn't already have a 2008 Bearcat and the Widetrack I would have been up you know what creek without a paddle. The Strater plate went out on the SWT one time and it took a month to have them actually manufacture one because they didn't make the 800 four stroke anymore.

Just food for thought! If you know how to work on them and have something like the old widetrack with many parts to get if you need them then I think your money ahead!

I would agree with you on some of the newer machines you have to be a Houdini just to get the covers off to work on them, that is why in the utility segment I went with the new Arctic Cat 540XT everything is open and very easy to get to it also has the bullet proof 540 engine with the doul speed transmission. And a 20x156 track.and they are priced at a very nice price point.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    I would agree with you on some of the newer machines you have to be a Houdini just to get the covers off to work on them, that is why in the utility segment I went with the new Arctic Cat 540XT everything is open and very easy to get to it also has the bullet proof 540 engine with the doul speed transmission. And a 20x156 track.and they are priced at a very nice price point.
    Is that the Cat that looks like a Viking? My neighbor bought the Viking and it looks simple without all the doo da's on it! We bought a 2008 Bearcat with about a 1,000 miles on it for $3K in excellent shape, so I would have a fan cooled for hauling when we didn't have much snow and I love it! Next time I need one I will really look at the Cat utility machine. I also see they have more of a conventional Cowling and windshield too! My 800 SWT is so warm and comfortable, the new ones have that slanted down cowlings and a little windshield. When are they ever going to learn we want work and comfort..... not looks! Grr!

image.jpg
    Is that the Cat that looks like a Viking? My neighbor bought the Viking and it looks simple without all the doo da's on it! We bought a 2008 Bearcat with about a 1,000 miles on it for $3K in excellent shape, so I would have a fan cooled for hauling when we didn't have much snow and I love it! Next time I need one I will really look at the Cat utility machine. I also see they have more of a conventional Cowling and windshield too! My 800 SWT is so warm and comfortable, the new ones have that slanted down cowlings and a little windshield. When are they ever going to learn we want work and comfort..... not looks! Grr!

Yep that is the one,

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    I am not in the market for a machine this year , So this is a learning process, least for me , in these threads, the fun of it.Without having to go to the dealer and listen to some kid salesman tell me this or that,{i am still driving some machines that are older than he is lol.}he is being told by the boss, to move these old stock out for the new ones. These threads sometimes turn into a bashing thing.Everybody needs are different. Weather it be a Arctic Cat, Ski Doo, Polaris, or Yamaha. I can find something about any machine and model they have i don't like, or what people are having trouble with,at least than i know what to watch for and prepare for it so i don't have to walk home . I was curious to know why you passed on the Polaris LX, We didn't get into that much in your other thread,since you said that . it is another machine that has been around long time with little change,bummer they ditched the 488 Fuji, so was it the bad rap the 550 has? , i also noticed tank size and lug height. What else ?

I am not in the market for a machine this year , So this is a learning process, least for me , in these threads, the fun of it.Without having to go to the dealer and listen to some kid salesman tell me this or that,{i am still driving some machines that are older than he is lol.}he is being told by the boss, to move these old stock out for the new ones. These threads sometimes turn into a bashing thing.Everybody needs are different. Weather it be a Arctic Cat, Ski Doo, Polaris, or Yamaha. I can find something about any machine and model they have i don't like, or what people are having trouble with,at least than i know what to watch for and prepare for it so i don't have to walk home . I was curious to know why you passed on the Polaris LX, We didn't get into that much in your other thread,since you said that . it is another machine that has been around long time with little change,bummer they ditched the 488 Fuji, so was it the bad rap the 550 has? , i also noticed tank size and lug height. What else ?

Yes I looked at the Polaris wide track, but they only put the 550 engine in it not they stopped puting the 600 Fuji in them, I had a 550 Polaris trail touring and the engine went south when I googled that engine looking for problems low and behold Polaris was have big problems with that engine, the machine had a lot of features but if you are looking at vast engine problems that was a show stopper. The problem with the engine seemed to be mid range if you did not very the engine speed it would go lean and melt the Pistons and jugs. Some people will swear by them I just was not willing to take a chance my engine was going to last less them two thousand miles.

How about what to look for if you are buying a used one, if you don't mind. What you have and had, what troubles to expect, the weakness of the model of that machine, likes and dislikes. Some folks just can't afford to go out and buy new. I will Start with some of them i have owned or friends that go out with me own. Like others, i have owned alot of machines so i am sticking to more or less the utility models. First thing i can think of is Gas Mileage 2 stroke against 4 stroke except for the 600etec... 2 strokes are hard on gas compared to a 4 stroke. My 4 strokes are getting double to triple the mileage of what my old machines used.Bad thing no pull start, pretty grumpy to get going past -20 if you lose that batt. you walk .
    Polaris new Titian they are after the market of the Doo's Expedition, I will be watching, maybe somebody jump in here that owns one let us know price wow ! have to rob a bank to buy one .
    Polaris Lx ones that still had Fuji motors, Was a good machine still is, i have one has 20k+ miles on it and really never any major repairs. Came with electric and pull start , poor mileage at average 7-8 mpg. Maybe 10 on good day with one of the Lady's riding it
    Polaris GT they only made it couple years, that was 488 Fuji fan, Little shorter track, still 20 wide but no flip skid for reverse, no electric start plain jane model. Not as smooth ride, about same mileage wise. But it has been good machine 12k+ miles and no major work done to it.
    The newer Polaris Lx as stated has the 550 motor only and they have had a lot of trouble with it .
    Yamaha Viking The old school one 540 tough as nails, Rode tough as nails , But bullet proof engine ,hard on gas maybe little better than Polaris 10-12 mpg. Never really major work done to it either . Was a Good machine .
    Yamaha Viking pro 4 stroke ,powerful and fast without a sled . good on gas, around 18 mpg , plush ride, cruiser. heated grips passenger , Pull 1000lbs riding double not even break a sweet. Still has carbs, though, easily flooded in cold weather start and heavy absolute big off trail... But been very reliable with no major repairs .
    The new 540 Yamaha /Cat,, waiting for Hunters report, when he gets chance to put some miles on it . made some good improvements over the old ones.
    Yamaha Bravo and Ski Doo tundra .. Just not in the same class as these others, I call them Tinker Toys , but they have there purpose,
    Bearcat, there have been many models of these, some where the Cats meowww, others were a night mare in reliability. I am sure Hunter can add to that , When i was looking for a machine they didn't have the 2 speed tranny and that was deal breaker for me ..
    Ski Doo SWT older ones up til 07, with 550 Just terrible gas mileage. 5-8mpg. rough ride, some were eating the trannys around 5 thousand miles. But tough very reliable machine . If i was breaking trail in waist deep powder, thats the one i would use . It is still unmatched with wide 24 in track and weight ratio for flotation .
    SWT V-800 Yeti platform, 4 stroke, Heavier bit of handful in the woods but doable , good trail breaker with 24 in track, good puller, has its own radiator like 4 wheeler, no overheat issues, better gas mileage. 13-15 mpg Pain in the ass to work on. To change the engine oil you have to suck out the dipstick {no drain on bottom of pan }. There is a grease cert behind the muffler you have to remove to get to Or like i did drill a hole in side of your tub to reach it. You should seen the look on my wifes face when i was out there drilling a hole in a brand new 10,000 dollar machine come on Ski Doo. Issues with timing chain and tranny around 5 thousand mile give or take depends how you treated it .
    SWT newer XU model 600etec, Friends not mine but a old guy driving it , has lost a engine less than 600 miles, Warranty covered but lost his machine to the dealer for over a month in prime time, was not a happy camper. But when it is running pretty nice machine. The new style is more for a stand up rider position. I don't think the 600etec likes that slow as go pulling 22-27 mph, stuff. There has been overheating issues and he has to pack snow on that back rack to keep it cool.
    Ski Doo Skandic WT 600 ace this is nicest machine i own to date, best on gas 20-22 mpg, quite and smooth not the ride of expedition but very capable machine not a power house or speed demon but will pull 1000lbs with ease with no overheat issues , Still pain in ass to work on or even check the oil on it .Those panels i hate with a passion, same thing, gotta take the muffler off to get to the oil filter. The pan has place to drain but u gotta use 3 different sizes of torks and hex head sockets. What were they thinking . Maybe they did that so have to bring it to dealer.
    In a Dream world to bad you couldn't put together all the best of all the models too make a Super Machine.. But than again if i did that they wouldn't be able to sell me a new machine every couple years . Same thing with parts after 5years or so you just can't walk in and get a part, you have to order it or they don't make it anymore , Throw away world we live in .Sorry about long post I am retired and just sitting waiting for the right weather to head out on the trails.

SusitnaAK, I'll read your post after I get back from my Prime Rib dinner on the Big Island. You out on the river and if so, how is the ice and weather?

SusitnaAK, I'll read your post after I get back from my Prime Rib dinner on the Big Island. You out on the river and if so, how is the ice and weather?
    Prime rib , humm. man i knew i had someplace to be tonight ,i forgot about the dinner and probably some Rum involved too . Weather sucks at least if you want to ride around on a snowmachine point of view .Ck P.M.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast