Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Used snowmachines

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Yes I looked at the Polaris wide track, but they only put the 550 engine in it not they stopped puting the 600 Fuji in them, I had a 550 Polaris trail touring and the engine went south when I googled that engine looking for problems low and behold Polaris was have big problems with that engine, the machine had a lot of features but if you are looking at vast engine problems that was a show stopper. The problem with the engine seemed to be mid range if you did not very the engine speed it would go lean and melt the Pistons and jugs. Some people will swear by them I just was not willing to take a chance my engine was going to last less them two thousand miles.
    Pretty sure Polaris has fixed the 550fan issues. I believe those were the 1st gen 550s. 99-early 2000s. I don't recall many issues with newer ones other than poor mileage. But all the higher displacement fans get poor mileage
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Pretty sure Polaris has fixed the 550fan issues. I believe those were the 1st gen 550s. 99-early 2000s. I don't recall many issues with newer ones other than poor mileage. But all the higher displacement fans get poor mileage
    That could be mine was a 2001 trail touring, I am not sure but I think they were still having problem in 2005 not at all sure past that.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    How about what to look for if you are buying a used one, if you don't mind. What you have and had, what troubles to expect, the weakness of the model of that machine, likes and dislikes. Some folks just can't afford to go out and buy new. I will Start with some of them i have owned or friends that go out with me own. Like others, i have owned alot of machines so i am sticking to more or less the utility models. First thing i can think of is Gas Mileage 2 stroke against 4 stroke except for the 600etec... 2 strokes are hard on gas compared to a 4 stroke. My 4 strokes are getting double to triple the mileage of what my old machines used.Bad thing no pull start, pretty grumpy to get going past -20 if you lose that batt. you walk .
    Polaris new Titian they are after the market of the Doo's Expedition, I will be watching, maybe somebody jump in here that owns one let us know price wow ! have to rob a bank to buy one .
    Polaris Lx ones that still had Fuji motors, Was a good machine still is, i have one has 20k+ miles on it and really never any major repairs. Came with electric and pull start , poor mileage at average 7-8 mpg. Maybe 10 on good day with one of the Lady's riding it
    Polaris GT they only made it couple years, that was 488 Fuji fan, Little shorter track, still 20 wide but no flip skid for reverse, no electric start plain jane model. Not as smooth ride, about same mileage wise. But it has been good machine 12k+ miles and no major work done to it.
    The newer Polaris Lx as stated has the 550 motor only and they have had a lot of trouble with it .
    Yamaha Viking The old school one 540 tough as nails, Rode tough as nails , But bullet proof engine ,hard on gas maybe little better than Polaris 10-12 mpg. Never really major work done to it either . Was a Good machine .
    Yamaha Viking pro 4 stroke ,powerful and fast without a sled . good on gas, around 18 mpg , plush ride, cruiser. heated grips passenger , Pull 1000lbs riding double not even break a sweet. Still has carbs, though, easily flooded in cold weather start and heavy absolute big off trail... But been very reliable with no major repairs .
    The new 540 Yamaha /Cat,, waiting for Hunters report, when he gets chance to put some miles on it . made some good improvements over the old ones.
    Yamaha Bravo and Ski Doo tundra .. Just not in the same class as these others, I call them Tinker Toys , but they have there purpose,
    Bearcat, there have been many models of these, some where the Cats meowww, others were a night mare in reliability. I am sure Hunter can add to that , When i was looking for a machine they didn't have the 2 speed tranny and that was deal breaker for me ..
    Ski Doo SWT older ones up til 07, with 550 Just terrible gas mileage. 5-8mpg. rough ride, some were eating the trannys around 5 thousand miles. But tough very reliable machine . If i was breaking trail in waist deep powder, thats the one i would use . It is still unmatched with wide 24 in track and weight ratio for flotation .
    SWT V-800 Yeti platform, 4 stroke, Heavier bit of handful in the woods but doable , good trail breaker with 24 in track, good puller, has its own radiator like 4 wheeler, no overheat issues, better gas mileage. 13-15 mpg Pain in the ass to work on. To change the engine oil you have to suck out the dipstick {no drain on bottom of pan }. There is a grease cert behind the muffler you have to remove to get to Or like i did drill a hole in side of your tub to reach it. You should seen the look on my wifes face when i was out there drilling a hole in a brand new 10,000 dollar machine come on Ski Doo. Issues with timing chain and tranny around 5 thousand mile give or take depends how you treated it .
    SWT newer XU model 600etec, Friends not mine but a old guy driving it , has lost a engine less than 600 miles, Warranty covered but lost his machine to the dealer for over a month in prime time, was not a happy camper. But when it is running pretty nice machine. The new style is more for a stand up rider position. I don't think the 600etec likes that slow as go pulling 22-27 mph, stuff. There has been overheating issues and he has to pack snow on that back rack to keep it cool.
    Ski Doo Skandic WT 600 ace this is nicest machine i own to date, best on gas 20-22 mpg, quite and smooth not the ride of expedition but very capable machine not a power house or speed demon but will pull 1000lbs with ease with no overheat issues , Still pain in ass to work on or even check the oil on it .Those panels i hate with a passion, same thing, gotta take the muffler off to get to the oil filter. The pan has place to drain but u gotta use 3 different sizes of torks and hex head sockets. What were they thinking . Maybe they did that so have to bring it to dealer.
    In a Dream world to bad you couldn't put together all the best of all the models too make a Super Machine.. But than again if i did that they wouldn't be able to sell me a new machine every couple years . Same thing with parts after 5years or so you just can't walk in and get a part, you have to order it or they don't make it anymore , Throw away world we live in .Sorry about long post I am retired and just sitting waiting for the right weather to head out on the trails.

stic write up. Thank you😊

the known problems with the bearcat 570XT mine had all of them, starter and flywheel not engaging correctly they had a fix but it was going to cost you, darting on packed trails they also had a fix for that by changing to doul carbides, almost complete loss of forward power do to the driven clutch sticking open they also had a fix for that I do believe they fixed these problems in later years mine was a 2013.

Prime rib , humm. man i knew i had someplace to be tonight ,i forgot about the dinner and probably some Rum involved too . Weather sucks at least if you want to ride around on a snowmachine point of view .Ck P.M.
    You do know we have a guest Ohana on the Nut farm here in paradise don't you? And plenty of Rum!

stic write up. Thank you

the known problems with the bearcat 570XT mine had all of them, starter and flywheel not engaging correctly they had a fix but it was going to cost you, darting on packed trails they also had a fix for that by changing to doul carbides, almost complete loss of forward power do to the driven clutch sticking open they also had a fix for that I do believe they fixed these problems in later years mine was a 2013.

That should have read great write up LOL.

I found this post that somebody else wrote up it seems they had the same starter problem early on, mine was a 2013 with the sme problem still.

The gripe I have is with the starter. I am on my second starter and ring gear and it is about shot. I only use it when the machine is warm. I know of 5 other Bearcats, they all have the same problem. There is a problem with the starters, and Arctic Cat knows it, there really should be a recall. I also have a 2012 T570, and was told by Arctic Cat that the fixed the starter problem ( which they also says dosen't exist). I have not had any problems with the new machine, but I only have 40 miles on it, and pull start it.

OK, and the A arms are totally flimsey for a utility machine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZN2BeYMNko

Some of it but self inflicted, none of them like trees but still?
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZN2BeYMNko

Some of it but self inflicted, none of them like trees but still?

Wow!! That makes me want to run out and buy one of those!! I think after round one or two I'd have gotten rid of that piece of junk!!

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Wow!! That makes me want to run out and buy one of those!! I think after round one or two I'd have gotten rid of that piece of junk!!

Took me 423 miles to rid myself of my hunk of junk, he was having battery problems I also had the same problem if you did not unhook the battery the instrument panel while storing or parking the machine would drain the battery and of course freeze the battery. Just another 70.00 bucks oh well. I think almost all the new machines No matter the make and model have the same problem. Except the new bearcat 540XT it has a analog instrument panel.

This is a machine that is for sale here in Alaska, in my opinion if you were going to pay this much for a used four year old machine why would you not just buy a new machine the asking price for this machine is about 2,000 over the KBB value.
    Like new 2014 Bearcat XT Z1 1050cc 4 stroke. $10,000 OBO. Garage kept, never seen an alder. Never towed a sled. 370 easy trail miles. Come with all accessories you could ever want. Light and strobe tower. Water proof luggage bag. Two complete oil change kits. Gear case oil. Brand new spare belt. Removable rear seat. Tool box under driver seat. In show room condition. We just don't need this style of sled. 156x20? This Bearcat does not have the two speed gear box. Current tabs. Has overload springs in the rear. Beefy tow hitch. All accessories included for asking price
    Sent from my iPad

[QUOTE=hunter1951;1620014]This is a machine that is for sale here in Alaska, in my opinion if you were going to pay this much for a used four year old machine why would you not just buy a new machine the asking price for this machine is about 2,000 over the KBB value.
    Like new 2014 Bearcat XT Z1 1050cc 4 stroke. $10,000 OBO. Garage kept, never seen an alder. Never towed a sled. 370 easy trail miles. Come with all accessories you could ever want. Light and strobe tower. Water proof luggage bag. Two complete oil change kits. Gear case oil. Brand new spare belt. Removable rear seat. Tool box under driver seat. In show room condition. We just don't need this style of sled. 156x20? This Bearcat does not have the two speed gear box. Current tabs. Has overload springs in the rear. Beefy tow hitch. All accessories included for asking price

We bought a 2008 Bearcat with around 1 k miles on it 2 years ago for 3 K. 570 fan cooled for hauling in warmer weather and less snow. Have put a couple thousand on it and it is great! No problems what so ever.

How about what to look for if you are buying a used one, if you don't mind. What you have and had, what troubles to expect, the weakness of the model of that machine, likes and dislikes. Some folks just can't afford to go out and buy new. I will Start with some of them i have owned or friends that go out with me own. Like others, i have owned alot of machines so i am sticking to more or less the utility models. First thing i can think of is Gas Mileage 2 stroke against 4 stroke except for the 600etec... 2 strokes are hard on gas compared to a 4 stroke. My 4 strokes are getting double to triple the mileage of what my old machines used.Bad thing no pull start, pretty grumpy to get going past -20 if you lose that batt. you walk .
    Polaris new Titian they are after the market of the Doo's Expedition, I will be watching, maybe somebody jump in here that owns one let us know price wow ! have to rob a bank to buy one .
    Polaris Lx ones that still had Fuji motors, Was a good machine still is, i have one has 20k+ miles on it and really never any major repairs. Came with electric and pull start , poor mileage at average 7-8 mpg. Maybe 10 on good day with one of the Lady's riding it
    Polaris GT they only made it couple years, that was 488 Fuji fan, Little shorter track, still 20 wide but no flip skid for reverse, no electric start plain jane model. Not as smooth ride, about same mileage wise. But it has been good machine 12k+ miles and no major work done to it.
    The newer Polaris Lx as stated has the 550 motor only and they have had a lot of trouble with it .
    Yamaha Viking The old school one 540 tough as nails, Rode tough as nails , But bullet proof engine ,hard on gas maybe little better than Polaris 10-12 mpg. Never really major work done to it either . Was a Good machine .
    Yamaha Viking pro 4 stroke ,powerful and fast without a sled . good on gas, around 18 mpg , plush ride, cruiser. heated grips passenger , Pull 1000lbs riding double not even break a sweet. Still has carbs, though, easily flooded in cold weather start and heavy absolute big off trail... But been very reliable with no major repairs .
    The new 540 Yamaha /Cat,, waiting for Hunters report, when he gets chance to put some miles on it . made some good improvements over the old ones.
    Yamaha Bravo and Ski Doo tundra .. Just not in the same class as these others, I call them Tinker Toys , but they have there purpose,
    Bearcat, there have been many models of these, some where the Cats meowww, others were a night mare in reliability. I am sure Hunter can add to that , When i was looking for a machine they didn't have the 2 speed tranny and that was deal breaker for me ..
    Ski Doo SWT older ones up til 07, with 550 Just terrible gas mileage. 5-8mpg. rough ride, some were eating the trannys around 5 thousand miles. But tough very reliable machine . If i was breaking trail in waist deep powder, thats the one i would use . It is still unmatched with wide 24 in track and weight ratio for flotation .
    SWT V-800 Yeti platform, 4 stroke, Heavier bit of handful in the woods but doable , good trail breaker with 24 in track, good puller, has its own radiator like 4 wheeler, no overheat issues, better gas mileage. 13-15 mpg Pain in the ass to work on. To change the engine oil you have to suck out the dipstick {no drain on bottom of pan }. There is a grease cert behind the muffler you have to remove to get to Or like i did drill a hole in side of your tub to reach it. You should seen the look on my wifes face when i was out there drilling a hole in a brand new 10,000 dollar machine come on Ski Doo. Issues with timing chain and tranny around 5 thousand mile give or take depends how you treated it .
    SWT newer XU model 600etec, Friends not mine but a old guy driving it , has lost a engine less than 600 miles, Warranty covered but lost his machine to the dealer for over a month in prime time, was not a happy camper. But when it is running pretty nice machine. The new style is more for a stand up rider position. I don't think the 600etec likes that slow as go pulling 22-27 mph, stuff. There has been overheating issues and he has to pack snow on that back rack to keep it cool.
    Ski Doo Skandic WT 600 ace this is nicest machine i own to date, best on gas 20-22 mpg, quite and smooth not the ride of expedition but very capable machine not a power house or speed demon but will pull 1000lbs with ease with no overheat issues , Still pain in ass to work on or even check the oil on it .Those panels i hate with a passion, same thing, gotta take the muffler off to get to the oil filter. The pan has place to drain but u gotta use 3 different sizes of torks and hex head sockets. What were they thinking . Maybe they did that so have to bring it to dealer.
    In a Dream world to bad you couldn't put together all the best of all the models too make a Super Machine.. But than again if i did that they wouldn't be able to sell me a new machine every couple years . Same thing with parts after 5years or so you just can't walk in and get a part, you have to order it or they don't make it anymore , Throw away world we live in .Sorry about long post I am retired and just sitting waiting for the right weather to head out on the trails.

I too have owned many snow machines. Probably well over 40 in my lifetime. My main thing is also utility as we live off road. I have found that the big four have pluses and minuses for all of them. Best hauler and all round utility sled I have ever owned is the 800 V SWT. My partner Nancy has a 2007 800 V Expedition 20 inch that she loves. The difference between them is the SWT goes better in deep snow but the Expedition can tow just as good. And ten times the better ride on trails. The other difference is the Expedition threw a timing chain at about 5,2 k and we had to rebuild the engine. They don;t make the 800v anymore so that was a pain. I checked and the 2007 did not have a guard to keep the chain from falling in the crank. So now she has around 11k on her sled , 6 k on new motor. I have 19k on my SWT and still the original track and transmission.

My second favorite machine has been the Polaris LT wide track. Easy to work on lots of parts to be had. The fuji motor is the best. Mine has a new track and suspinsion which was giving to me by a neighbor. The low end is new in the tranny and it still looks great. I have a little over 12 k on that one.

The Bear cat has so many versions no that it is hard to remember them all. We have a had a 1999 which our neighbor is still running and currently have the 2008 570 fan Bearcat. Love the machine as it pulls just fine and runs great. Every once and awhile it will backfire when you turn it off. Also have driven the newer turbos and did like the power band but dislike all the plastic. I borrowed a neighbors newer style Bearcat and it took me awhile to find the dang pull rope. Then I had to figure out what panel to open to put oil in.

We use all four machines and trade them off so we stretch the miles on each one. Still waiting for my SWT to have a heart attack or something but I have heard of one that made it to 32 k miles so who knows! The only machine I have not owned is a Viking. Rode a neighbors Professional one time and did not like it. It was a tank. Haven't tried the old style Viking but since they brought it back I would like too! I like the combo I use now, four stroke for millage and the fan cooled two stroke for no snow and warm weather which is of course the norm anymore.

Any more now adays google/you tube is your friend, Do your homework. Generally i do not buy a 1st year model of that machine, i wait ,watch and see what bugs have to be worked out . Watch out for the guys that buy their oil at walmart,Just kills me to see they spend 8,9,10,12 thousand on a machine and use cheap oil. I am cheap as they come, but i do Ante up when comes to oils, tranny fluid and i change them alot, way more than what the book calls for . Also the guys that, just drop machine off at stealership, for there maintenance and pick it up thinking that there are ready to go and not checking things out, {i make enough money to pay somebody else to do that attitude}. Well, more times than not their the ones that Mike and i end up hauling back. How a machine left a dealership without oil in it is beyond me , Poor guy didn't know or wanted to deal with that new jigsaw puzzle hood,i bet he does now .. Stealerships as they call them,for good reason, when their is only so many games in town to go to, well your stuck, dealing with them. Learn to order your own parts, more than likely you have too anyways because it cost them lots of money to stock them, cities taxes on inventory . .. you can save sometimes 1/2 the price because of there mark up. Updates and recalls, some cases you won't get them unless your one of the ones that drop your machine for the maintenance from them Just a fact, they don't make any money on them and hope you machine gets out of warranty. leaving the cost in you hands . Some of more helpful tips and what to watch for if you get into these model of machines.
    The Lx Polaris 488 Fuji liq, 1st new machine i bought rest in my life were used up til than time. Back than you had to snow check it, 2nd year out was not a full production machine, they were built one at a time to your ordered spec,s , options that you wanted .came with little name tag and everything. They had some over heating issues with it in spring time conditions, the coolers are underneath your feet, so i had them put a nose cone radiator in it , for the slide rails had extra wheel kits added. musta worked i have 20+k miles on it and still has the same slides it came with. There was a recall on it where the fuel pump location was {i did not receive} get it off the tub and mount it to the air box. That one didn't come with a tension adjustment bolt on the lower chain, the upper chain has one, driving around in low most of its life something to watch for if it stretches enough and jumps the sprocket it will take out the case, $2000, back than i don't know how you even could find one for it now ...tear it down before it breaks , and replace sprockets and chain and bearings while it is apart and good to go another 10,000 miles. Like Mike i still have this machine and it has been the best i ever owned for over 25 years now. My first trip of the year i will be on it. Every machine i own for now on will always be compared to it .. they will have some pretty big shoes to fill when comes to this one .. I don't think i am going to live long enough to see if that WT 600 Ace i bought will make that far ...
    The V-800 SWT or Expedition ) 07-11? had same tranny and motor.. things to watch out for as stated first year 07 they had issues with timing chains , They are called self adjusting tensioner guides til about later 08-09 they were changed,Mike if u want that engine to last 30,000 miles it would be in your best interest to check yours, exhaust side see how many threats are left, you can tell by the ware on them before you have a heart attack Look up on Doo Talk LabradorBoy Or Suv1 he pushing 40,000 miles on one now ..You won't make it without some of tricks they discuss there .
    If you dumped those machines on there pto, left side, the engine oil would run out and get onto and in the air housing and make its way to the belt, The fix for this is extend the breather hose all they way around the motor. That is Labrador Boy trick again look up on Doo talk for further instructions on how too ,
    The tranny about 5000, miles, they thought should be refreshed bearings and such. Than they figured out couple things to extend that, 1st was suppose to be shift on the fly tranny starting out in low and up to 2nd on the move , Well i do not, do that, i stop and shift than go ,
    When you fire the thing up in neutral revving engine up to warm it up it will spin the clutches and belt ,That is a splash type lube deal so the upper shaft is spinning and no oil is going to it .. If i do this, i will lift the machine up off ground and spin everything . They thought that overfilling past the mark helped too .
    Things on the SWT/ WT Skandic 600Ace xu They had trouble with engine oil getting into starter, remember now ,on these there is no pull start, So they drill little weep oil in to fix that .. carry extra starter with you, i also carry one jump boast things too. They are pretty cool only the whole kit only big as a bible.
    The tranny on these has problems with condensation , making your oil/fluid milky it is a vent thing and bunch of ideas there to address that, i just change mine twice a year call it good. Watch the fuse that operates the fan motor, if you don't hear that fan on shut down check it ..
    They also has some huge problems with darting and diving Doo's Ds skis are crap Some are putting Polaris pro floats on theres and really like them ..
    Well some of the tricks of the trade. I am sure there is a lot more. All of the machine as started have there problems to deal with . these are the machines i have experience with.
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Thanks Jeff! Have nose cone coolant on my Lx too. Also my SWT 800 is a 2010 so it has a guide for the timing chain. Adjust my lifters and check for wear all the time. Will look up this Labrador dude for sure!

Mele Kalikimaka!

Also I modified the skis and put on different skags on both 800's. Works way better on the hard packed trail to Alexander and cost less than half the price if you go to Fish Creek or Tom out towards Big Lake. Also I do shift on the fly so good to go there!

Is it really weird that I am sitting here talking snowmachine talk while in Hawaii?

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post

Is it really weird that I am sitting here talking snowmachine talk while in Hawaii?
    If I remember correctly there was a 2 stroke cold smoke Hawaii scene..... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    If I remember correctly there was a 2 stroke cold smoke Hawaii scene..... :-)

You could have actually run a two stroke last year about this time on Mauna Kea! Of course the National park service would have stopped you!

A few years ago while shopping for a late model used Polaris, I called my dealer and asked him what I should be aware of in the year and model range I was looking at. He steered me away from the ones with known problems. Very grateful for his advice.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I think almost all the new machines No matter the make and model have the same problem. Except the new bearcat 540XT it has a analog instrument panel.
    I have a 2007 Yamaha RS Venture GT and am still running on the original battery.
    From the dealer when I bought it they installed the cold weather kit consisting of block heater, battery blanket and charger.
    If I had bought one of those Arctic Crap sleds and had to deal with that it would have suffered from an inexplicable fire and been totally demolished.
    Then I would take the insurance $$$ and buy a real sled.

[QUOTE=DRIFTER_016;1620205]I have a 2007 Yamaha RS Venture GT and am still running on the original battery.
    From the dealer when I bought it they installed the cold weather kit consisting of block heater, battery blanket and charger.
    If I had bought one of those Arctic Crap sleds and had to deal with that it would have suffered from an inexplicable fire and been totally demolished.
    Then I would take the insurance $$$ and buy a real sled.

Yeah, especially since the dealer would probably not honor anything anyway! Or as SusitnaAk puts it...... the Stealership!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast