Thread: Need New Boots, need help

Default Need New Boots, need help

Hi all,

I need new boots. My Coleman Drys are dead after 13 years. I need a pair of boots for hiking/hunting. I'm 300 lbs. and will have 65 lbs to haul around so the boots have to be able to take my weight +. Since I haven't needed them in a while I could use some advice. Thanks.

Ron

GLR, if you haven't already, do a search of the old threads. There is some great info about boots.

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Hi all,

I need new boots. My Coleman Drys are dead after 13 years. I need a pair of boots for hiking/hunting. I'm 300 lbs. and will have 65 lbs to haul around so the boots have to be able to take my weight +. Since I haven't needed them in a while I could use some advice. Thanks.

Ron
    A popular label is less important than a boot that fits well. Go to an appropriate store and try several on. Good boots are expensive. Well taken care of they'll last a long time. They should be functional for your use, fit well, and be comfortable. You can narrow the search to a few brands and models by the function part, but the fit and comfort are different for every individual.

My current hiking boots are Vasque. Hunting boots are Lowa. Both of those brands are different than the boots they replaced and I'm happy. Shop with an open mind.

I have been looking for a while. Are there any to steer clear from based on experience? I am looking at Danner Talus. Has anyone used these before?

Ron

My Danners were really noisy. Good, durable boots, but noisy. That's something else to consider when you're out shopping.

Things I consider?

1) Stiffness of sole. I like stiffer for climbing, descending, and sidehilling.
    2) Ankle support. Same as above.
    3) With respect to lines 1 & 2, I need to factor-in that I'll be wearing these boots with heavy packs on my back.
    4) Gore-Tex is a requirement. I won't accept substitutes.

Default What I have seen recently

I wish there was a place that I could walk around the building with a pack on before I buy them. I have a cabelas store near me. The bargin cave has SO many pairs of boots people have returned. When I walked past them once a shopper stopped me and said, don't get those, I had a pair, they are aweful. When pressing why, I get all the answers. If that was the case with 50% of them, then most of the boots sold there are bad. I called Danner yesterday, great people, but they had absolute answer for boots for a big guy. I said if they marketed them that way or did some more R/D to the big guy sector they would do more business. I have yet to see an ad internet or otherwise targeted towards us. Oh well. Thanks for all the ideas, I will use them.

Ron

Default For what it's worth

I returned a pair of boots to Cabelas once. They weren't a perfect fit, and they were expensive boots. Some lucky ********* got 'em in a bargain cave for a song.

I did the on-line customer service chat thing with Cabelas before I ordered the first time. They greenlighted me to wear 'em from home to the office and up & down the stairs a few times to make sure. They just asked me to avoid dog doo and mud puddles on the way to and fro. (I used the online chat because you can copy & paste it into a separate document and keep a record of the conversation that way. Beats hand-scribbled notes on the back of an envelope.)

I learned I needed smaller boots, and sent 'em back clean. You might consider doing something similar - wearing boots around the store just won't tell you what you need to know.

Default Danner

Hows it going big Ron. I used to wear danner boots but the last 2 pairs I had did not remain water proof after the first year.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default Cabelas Outfitters Series

Well,

The Danners were to narrow for the snowshoes I call feet. I went to cabelas and picked out a nice pair of Cabelas Outfitter Series Boots. I spent most of the day in them and wow are they comfortable. With the medium wool socks and poly liner socks I never knew they were on my feet. We will see how they hold up this fall.

Ron

Ron,
    You should be able to get most Danners in EEE width.

Have you had your feet properly sized?
    Also for a guy your size you may want your arches evaluated as getting the foot bed right goes a long way towards a boot's fit.

As far as customer reviews....many a pair of good quality boots has been badmouthed because their owner expected something they were not designed to do.

Whatever you decide, buy the best you can afford that're also suited for what you expect to do.

Last thought...buy a boot that can be resoled.
    My Danner Acadia's are 13 years old and on their 4th set of soles. 50-60 bucks every 3 years to keep good boots in service is well worth it IMO. (plus it helps your local cobbler stay in business)

Good luck

Default a tip for all...

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Well,

The Danners were to narrow for the snowshoes I call feet. I went to cabelas and picked out a nice pair of Cabelas Outfitter Series Boots. I spent most of the day in them and wow are they comfortable. With the medium wool socks and poly liner socks I never knew they were on my feet. We will see how they hold up this fall.

Ron
    Sounds like you found what you were looking for Ron. But I would like to add for you and the others...I have been known to take my pack loaded with weight right into the store when trying boots. I did this at Cabela's and they were very intrigued by the idea. I spent at least an hour walking up and down the stairs, jarring my feet in different directions, jumping and hopping like I would across rocks in a river, etc. When I left the store, I left with a great pair of hiking boots that I knew where going to work for me! No sending back to get different size, nothing. Started breaking them in before I left the store!

-Buck