Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Picked up our new 2018 540 Arctic Cat XT

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default Picked up our new 2018 540 Arctic Cat XT

    One of the nicest machines I have ever been on and at a great value.image.jpg
    the dealer in Eagle River has them in stock Eagle River Polaris Arctic Cat. If you are looking for a deep snow utility machine make sure you ck it out.

  2. #2
    Member SusitnaAk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Nice ! Looks like it shares some of the traits of the new revised Yamaha 540 Viking . I wonder if there is some sub contracting going on here ?
    https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/2-...y/models/vk540

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Nice ! Looks like it shares some of the traits of the new revised Yamaha 540 Viking . I wonder if there is some sub contracting going on here ?
    https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/2-...y/models/vk540
    You guessed it, the thing that I liked was they were willing to deal on the price, the dealer is a local small concern, and Arctic Cat is an American business, the machine is absolutely flawless with huge amounts of low in power and has a great upper end for when you want to play as it has the high low transmission plus I think it weighs in at 565 pounds unlike the older 570 XT that was around 700 with no transmission.

  4. #4
    Member SusitnaAk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Ah, I just seen your other post. It is a rebadged Viking than . I thought i was seeing double .... It has been a very poplar machine over on the other side of the pond. They liked the 2 stroke that would start in the coldest temperatures and a reliable simple design .Looks like they resolved the American EPA, standards, that put on the shelf years ago ..

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Ah, I just seen your other post. It is a rebadged Viking than . I thought i was seeing double .... It has been a very poplar machine over on the other side of the pond. They liked the 2 stroke that would start in the coldest temperatures and a reliable simple design .Looks like they resolved the American EPA, standards, that put on the shelf years ago ..

    Yes they refined the engine it uses aprox 25% less fuel very clean running they increased low and mid range power, it has a new style suspension with the articulating reared for backing up they have refined the electrics. The seat has been changed much more comfortable then the older models, it still has the multi speed transmission with high and low, they wanted to make sure they could compete with any other same engine size utility machine, anybody that is n the market. Would highly suggest visiting the Arctic Cat dealer, trust me I looked at all the utility machines in that category and I was impressed by the machine and the price point

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,105

    Default

    Does this have the 20 in wide track with 156 inch long track on it?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Does this have the 20 in wide track with 156 inch long track on it?
    yes it does, also a new articulating rear suspension for backing up. They also put a new style track on it with 11/2 inch lugs.

    it truly is worth going to Eagle River to see one, you will need to ask them about this model as they had not put one out on the floor yet, it is my thought they were trying to sell the older 570XT's first.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    yes it does, also a new articulating rear suspension for backing up. They also put a new style track on it with 11/2 inch lugs.

    it truly is worth going to Eagle River to see one, you will need to ask them about this model as they had not put one out on the floor yet, it is my thought they were trying to sell the older 570XT's first.
    They have some great deals on 2017 570 bearcats right now.. But seriously thinking about one of these, like you everyone keeps telling me go skidoo expedition route

  9. #9
    Member Yukoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Whitehorse Yukon
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    No question that the VKs were tough as nails sleds, but claiming that they increased mileage by 25%?? I believe all they did was heat the carbs.
    I hope they worked in the skid frame too. As I recall, the VKs were trenchers with a pretty steep AOT.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    No question that the VKs were tough as nails sleds, but claiming that they increased mileage by 25%?? I believe all they did was heat the carbs.
    I hope they worked in the skid frame too. As I recall, the VKs were trenchers with a pretty steep AOT.
    I need to get to Whitehorse and get to Yukon brewing company. Best beer made

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Ah, I just seen your other post. It is a rebadged Viking than . I thought i was seeing double .... It has been a very poplar machine over on the other side of the pond. They liked the 2 stroke that would start in the coldest temperatures and a reliable simple design .Looks like they resolved the American EPA, standards, that put on the shelf years ago ..

    I have a neighbor who has the Viking, Good to see the two stroke being competitive again!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Well I hope they offer or will offer the 15" wide track and I absolutely hate seeing they went to that pogo front end. Those strut style shocks didn't hold up in the Scandiks and Tundras when worked hard in extreme cold and traveling over hummocks. Towed a few out of the woods that busted mounts and shot right up thru the cowling. I can see this new machine being a great hauler on trails but not a cross country work, firewood or trapper sled like the now "older" Bear Cats. Guess I better start being a little nicer to my 2012 Bear Cat that has been proven in the most extreme conditions over and over...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    They have some great deals on 2017 570 bearcats right now.. But seriously thinking about one of these, like you everyone keeps telling me go skidoo expedition route

    I looked at the Skidoo's and all the other wide track machines, skidoo and the others have gone way to far towards the touring segment, while the 540XT has stayed true to the utility segment but with a touch of touring added. People are very brand oriented and will say most anything to make them selfs feel they have the best machine, but if you truly make a list of the things that work best for you and ck out the machines in the utility market you will see the Arctic Cat 540XT is light years ahead of the others, here is a case in point need to change a spark plug on a scandic it is like taking apart a jig saw puzzle you have to undue snaps you even have to push a button on the side to open it up to see the spark plugs, on the 540XT you undo to latches and the whole hood lifts up every thing is just there to see or work on not sure what most people would want but for me I want simple.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Well I hope they offer or will offer the 15" wide track and I absolutely hate seeing they went to that pogo front end. Those strut style shocks didn't hold up in the Scandiks and Tundras when worked hard in extreme cold and traveling over hummocks. Towed a few out of the woods that busted mounts and shot right up thru the cowling. I can see this new machine being a great hauler on trails but not a cross country work, firewood or trapper sled like the now "older" Bear Cats. Guess I better start being a little nicer to my 2012 Bear Cat that has been proven in the most extreme conditions over and over...

    yes they went simple less to get caught on less to break out in the feild less drag when breaking trail yes sometimes simple is just the best way to go.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default

    I have had a Bearcat 570XT and they are plagued with problems at least the older ones are, all of these problems can be googled, darting to the point you feel the machine is trying to kill you, lugging out no power at times, the starter and flywheel the list goes on, as far as the pogo stick front end even the revered scandic uses the same system. I am in no way trying to get anybody to buy a 540 XT just wanted to get the information out there and have people compare it with other machines in the same category

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    I was informed by the Anchorage Arctic Cat dealer that they were going to switch to this new platform and they had nothing good to say about the new machine and in fact, talked me out of even looking at them knowing what I do and expect out of a machine. I see on Arctic Cats website that they still offer the 2000 LT Bear Cat which is what I run, hope they continue. I have no desire to loose horse power and suspension that has been flawless 4200 miles so far. My wife has the T570 which is the exact same machine except a slightly shorter suspension and she is at 3800 miles. We start them every weekend at -20 to -30 and run them all weekend, mine gets run very hard on a 42 mile trapline with very little snow conditions. Like you said, people are loyal to what they run and what works for them. I hope you enjoy the new machine, it looks like a comfy hauler!



  17. #17
    Member SusitnaAk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    I looked at the Skidoo's and all the other wide track machines, skidoo and the others have gone way to far towards the touring segment, while the 540XT has stayed true to the utility segment but with a touch of touring added. People are very brand oriented and will say most anything to make them selfs feel they have the best machine, but if you truly make a list of the things that work best for you and ck out the machines in the utility market you will see the Arctic Cat 540XT is light years ahead of the others, here is a case in point need to change a spark plug on a scandic it is like taking apart a jig saw puzzle you have to undue snaps you even have to push a button on the side to open it up to see the spark plugs, on the 540XT you undo to latches and the whole hood lifts up every thing is just there to see or work on not sure what most people would want but for me I want simple.
    Ah , Don't let them ruffle your feathers, you have bought the machine and i am sure you are going to be happy with it . We shall see 10 years from now if it holds up too the task you ask of it .My concern is the longevity of that motor it was bullet proof, and how they leaned it out to meet the greenies EPA, standards.Sorry Trailblazersteve, i would have to disagree on couple things, offer 15 widetrack? Wouldn't be a wide track if where 15 inches wide ?And saying it wouldn't be a good woods,or trapper machine? If you had said the Viking Pro , I would agree. That thing is absolute pig off trail. But the very fact this model has been around since 1988 with very few changes is a testament on how good the machine is. That is the very reason it is still around after all these years. Hunter your statement light years ahead.... Well not really, it is- 20to25years back old school, that is the point. Another reason it is still around. People still want a simple, reliable,2 stroke machine that you can pull start when the temps dip and loose your batt, that doesn't have to have 92 octane fuel and expensive 2 stroke oil .I like the new additions they added, the flip up skid for sure.one of best things they did when comes to backing up ..Thats why they lost out to me in the 90's , The Polaris lx had that and the Indy platform was just a better ride. Oh how i do miss the single flip up hood But if you have to change the plugs in a 4stroke, 600ace motor or v800 you probably got bigger problems than you can fix on the trail. You can see some of posts from last year that get into that, and maintenance on Ski Doo's, what a pain . Is the 540 better ? Well depends on what your looking for and how much you have to spend.Gas mileage? against the 600ace i would have to say no. But you can tell us when get some miles on it.Better smoother ride no, Price Yes! ease to work on Yes! That jigsaw puzzle you mention I hate with a passion . I was looking last year to upgrade some of my older machines, one for my girlfriend to ride, I am still on a 09 SWT so i am good . i ended up buying a used Skandic WT Ski Doo 600 ACE, couldn't afford a new one on retired wages, lol. Been a very capable machine,not a easy one to change the oil on, and had to put skins on it keep it from diving in deep snow, but no other complaints. I like the smooth, quite, ride , gas milage, no 2 stroke smell or oil mess with. As they say to each there own . Just my 2 cents worth . Have fun enjoy your new machine. Let us know how it is holding up when get some miles on it .

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I was informed by the Anchorage Arctic Cat dealer that they were going to switch to this new platform and they had nothing good to say about the new machine and in fact, talked me out of even looking at them knowing what I do and expect out of a machine. I see on Arctic Cats website that they still offer the 2000 LT Bear Cat which is what I run, hope they continue. I have no desire to loose horse power and suspension that has been flawless 4200 miles so far. My wife has the T570 which is the exact same machine except a slightly shorter suspension and she is at 3800 miles. We start them every weekend at -20 to -30 and run them all weekend, mine gets run very hard on a 42 mile trapline with very little snow conditions. Like you said, people are loyal to what they run and what works for them. I hope you enjoy the new machine, it looks like a comfy hauler!





    Well I am glad you are haveing good luck with yours but do not take my word for the problems Google is your friend, yes the dealers are not butting the new 540XT out on the show room as they are afraid nobody would buy the old ones, like I said I owned one for four years my expierance has been just the opposite of yours, I know Justin at the anchorage dealer well and I can tell you they are having issues, one crazy thing about them 570XT's is their electronic revearse you can only be in reverse for 45 seconds at a time or it over heats the 540XT has a mechanical activated reverse also come with a low and high range transmission as far a hp is concerned yes the 570 has about 65 hp while the 540 has about 60 with a much lower gear ratio
    where is the 570 is way to high geared and has no high low transmission, so in the end enjoy your trails.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    No intent to ruffle any feathers, just stating what I have experienced and was told by another dealer. Every machine has it's different applications, the biggy is finding the right one for your own application. I have towed and drove by enough Ski Doos in my area that there is no way in heck I would rely on one and my neighbor across the lake new Ski Doo 4 strokes and he admits they are not the machine to have at -30 all winter. I like things simple too, simple carbed, 2 stock and simple reliable built suspensions. I didn't say anything about having a 15" WIDETRACK, just having a 15" TRACK. Widetracks for me are unnecessary weight and too tippy in the hummocks. I am sure Hunter1951 will enjoy his new machine, I just hate change, lol. I just might have look him up and go for a ride sometime. Happy trails...

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Man, strange, I have run in reverse several times hard thru brush, water and up hills with no problems. Maybe I did get lucky, don't know. Mine is the LT and not the XT but I would think they run everything the same except the suspension. Anyway, enjoy and keep us updated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •