Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up our new 2018 540 Arctic Cat XT

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Ah , Don't let them ruffle your feathers, you have bought the machine and i am sure you are going to be happy with it . We shall see 10 years from now if it holds up too the task you ask of it .My concern is the longevity of that motor it was bullet proof, and how they leaned it out to meet the greenies EPA, standards.Sorry Trailblazersteve, i would have to disagree on couple things, offer 15 widetrack? Wouldn't be a wide track if where 15 inches wide ?And saying it wouldn't be a good woods,or trapper machine? If you had said the Viking Pro , I would agree. That thing is absolute pig off trail. But the very fact this model has been around since 1988 with very few changes is a testament on how good the machine is. That is the very reason it is still around after all these years. Hunter your statement light years ahead.... Well not really, it is- 20to25years back old school, that is the point. Another reason it is still around. People still want a simple, reliable,2 stroke machine that you can pull start when the temps dip and loose your batt, that doesn't have to have 92 octane fuel and expensive 2 stroke oil .I like the new additions they added, the flip up skid for sure.one of best things they did when comes to backing up ..Thats why they lost out to me in the 90's , The Polaris lx had that and the Indy platform was just a better ride. Oh how i do miss the single flip up hood But if you have to change the plugs in a 4stroke, 600ace motor or v800 you probably got bigger problems than you can fix on the trail. You can see some of posts from last year that get into that, and maintenance on Ski Doo's, what a pain . Is the 540 better ? Well depends on what your looking for and how much you have to spend.Gas mileage? against the 600ace i would have to say no. But you can tell us when get some miles on it.Better smoother ride no, Price Yes! ease to work on Yes! That jigsaw puzzle you mention I hate with a passion . I was looking last year to upgrade some of my older machines, one for my girlfriend to ride, I am still on a 09 SWT so i am good . i ended up buying a used Skandic WT Ski Doo 600 ACE, couldn't afford a new one on retired wages, lol. Been a very capable machine,not a easy one to change the oil on, and had to put skins on it keep it from diving in deep snow, but no other complaints. I like the smooth, quite, ride , gas milage, no 2 stroke smell or oil mess with. As they say to each there own . Just my 2 cents worth . Have fun enjoy your new machine. Let us know how it is holding up when get some miles on it .

thanks, yes some of the other machines are very much more refined over this one, the point of the whole post was to let people know that this machine is available to compare others in the same category such as the 550 scandic or the Polaris wide track. And yes time will tell if this turns out to be a great machine that is the reason I unloaded the 570XT I owned one for four years. Again thank you for your insight and happy trails or off trails😄

Oh and as far as the 25% increase in engine efficientcy they would had to lower the emissions and they also increased the gas tank size from about 8 to 11 so of course you will go farther on a tank of gas, LOL😁

What does it have for compartments? That is one thing that really bothered me is absolutely no compartments on mine except having to buy high dollar form fitting handle bar and dash bags. Is the seat a compartment? Would be REALLY nice if so...

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    What does it have for compartments? That is one thing that really bothered me is absolutely no compartments on mine except having to buy high dollar form fitting handle bar and dash bags. Is the seat a compartment? Would be REALLY nice if so...

yes, it has under seat storage, it Was much larger then the rest that I looked at.

When you look at the time spent riding the sled vs the time working on it, speaking for myself, I'd take rider ergonomics over engine access every time.
    But, yeah, in a perfect world, I wish the REV platform Tundras and Skandics had better engine system access. I mean really BRP, you have to pull the exhaust can, the battery, the battery cage JUST to access the chain case...... I'm not making a very convincing argument for ergonomics over access am I.....
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    When you look at the time spent riding the sled vs the time working on it, speaking for myself, I'd take rider ergonomics over engine access every time.
    But, yeah, in a perfect world, I wish the REV platform Tundras and Skandics had better engine system access. I mean really BRP, you have to pull the exhaust can, the battery, the battery cage JUST to access the chain case...... I'm not making a very convincing argument for ergonomics over access am I.....
    Well first I would like to ask if you have ever seen or rode the new 540XT and compared it with other rides? From what I have experienced it is a very comfortable ride even compared to some of the better known, as far as working on some of the other who was the stupid person who designed the clutch system that you have to take a bolt out of the driven clutch remove a washer and bushing turn it around and reput the bolt back in to spread the couch to get the belt off, yes you may not have to ever do it but if just one time you drop something and lose it in two feet of snow I would say I hope you have snow shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Well first I would like to ask if you have ever seen or rode the new 540XT and compared it with other rides? From what I have experienced it is a very comfortable ride even compared to some of the better known, as far as working on some of the other who was the stupid person who designed the clutch system that you have to take a bolt out of the driven clutch remove a washer and bushing turn it around and reput the bolt back in to spread the couch to get the belt off, yes you may not have to ever do it but if just one time you drop something and lose it in two feet of snow I would say I hope you have snow shoes.
    Or carry an extra bolt, washer, and bushing....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Or carry an extra bolt, washer, and bushing....

well the 570XT is such a great utility machine why not just tow a extra machine behind you LOL
    below is straight out of the owners manual you better be fast at backing up because if you take longer then 45 second it cuts the power so you can not even move

NOTE: The system will not shiftuntil the button is released. Also,the reverse function will cancel ifoperated in reverse longer than 45seconds.

What brand clutch are you referring to? The BRP clutches use a "L" shape tool to spread the sheaves on the driven, but it's a convenience, not a necessity. If need be, you can remove a belt on any clutch by hand.
    Im glad you are happy with your new ride. It's a Yammy, it'll be bombproof. I used to have a VK540, and that's exactly what the new 540 XT is.
    I've also run Bearcats, old school Tundra 2s, Bravos, Polaris LTs, not to mention many different mountain sleds. Rider forward design was, IMO, a huge leap forward, and for all their access issues, I'd still take rider forward over older designs, but that's just me.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

What brand clutch are you referring to? The BRP clutches use a "L" shape tool to spread the sheaves on the driven, but it's a convenience, not a necessity. If need be, you can remove a belt on any clutch by hand.
    Im glad you are happy with your new ride. It's a Yammy, it'll be bombproof. I used to have a VK540, and that's exactly what the new 540 XT is.
    I've also run Bearcats, old school Tundra 2s, Bravos, Polaris LTs, not to mention many different mountain sleds. Rider forward design was, IMO, a huge leap forward, and for all their access issues, I'd still take rider forward over older designs, but that's just me.

Thanks for the insight, although I have been riding snow machines for many years I hate to say how long LOL, I do know that each and every machine has good points and unfortunately some bad, I have never owned a new skidoo and certainly would never say that I wouldn't they look like a nice machine although in my opinion a little over priced. I have owned the Arctic cat 570XT and I will point out they have the best ride of any snowmachine I have ever riddenThe clutch I was talking about was the bearcat 570 XT as I said I owned one for four years so I am well versed to talk about them. It is interesting nobody talked about the Polaris wide track I did consider one but after my expierance owning a polaris with the 550 fan cooled engine by the way that is the only engine they now put in the Polaris wide track I eliminated that one right off. As far as the Arctic Cat 540XT only time will tell how it works out as you mentioned it has a long history of being a very dependable machine and with the new upgrades it is my hope it will be better then ever, my original post was to make people aware of the new model and I think we have done that with almost 550 views, I would never say or ask anybody to buy one my only thought was to get people in the market for a new machine was to go and look at one and maybe even consider it at a option. This has been a very lively debate and some very good information was pointed out that some buyers may have never considered. Does the snowmachine forum ever have get togethers like as the hunting forum? I think that would be fun maybe we could even get some of the dealers to show up to talk about new equipment and maybe even have a tech presentation, it would be fun, if anybody would be interested in looking at any of the new Polaris snow machines including the bearcat 540 XT stop by Eagle River Polaris Arctic again I have zero connection I only point them out as I know they have the complete lineup in stock.

I should have also said I did go look at the yamaha's they were nice they were willing to work with me on price of a machine but not the fright,setup or the accessories so the package was going to cost me about 500.00 more then what I ended up paying, one thing that really bugged me about a lot of the new machines I looked at they all had electronic instrument clusters that continued to drain on the batteries even when the machine was completely shut off. The 540XT has analog instructions so no drain on the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    I should have also said I did go look at the yamaha's they were nice they were willing to work with me on price of a machine but not the fright,setup or the accessories so the package was going to cost me about 500.00 more then what I ended up paying, one thing that really bugged me about a lot of the new machines I looked at they all had electronic instrument clusters that continued to drain on the batteries even when the machine was completely shut off. The 540XT has analog instructions so no drain on the battery.
    i just love auto correct that should have been instruments not instructions LOL

If you liked the ride of your BC 570, you’ll probably be dissapointed in the 540. None of the “pogo” style front suspensions whether BRP or otherwise are known for their smooth trail manners. A arms always provide a more refined ride, hence why many have ditched their Skandic/Tundra sleds In favour of the Expy’s. It’s not a horrible ride, just not as smooth. I always curse my buddy as he flies away on the bumpier trails on his Voyageur, while he curses me as I float away in the tight trees on the Tundra.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

If you liked the ride of your BC 570, you’ll probably be dissapointed in the 540. None of the “pogo” style front suspensions whether BRP or otherwise are known for their smooth trail manners. A arms always provide a more refined ride, hence why many have ditched their Skandic/Tundra sleds In favour of the Expy’s. It’s not a horrible ride, just not as smooth. I always curse my buddy as he flies away on the bumpier trails on his Voyageur, while he curses me as I float away in the tight trees on the Tundra.
    I will say my 570XT had the best ride of any bar non machine I have ever ridden, while the 540XT will not be the same ride the advantage of the pogo front end will be less drag and less things to get caught on while breaking trail, it is a trade off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12