Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Gas in Cordova

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    898

    Default Gas in Cordova

    I have never taken my boat over to the other side of the sound from Whittier. I was pondering some trips and assumed I could get gas in Cordova. But, I could not find the location, times etc for any fuel dock at the Harbor.

    Where is the dock located, do they have gas or just diesel? How logistically challenging is it to get around the harbor in Cordova? Just trying to get some preliminary info before next season.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member akdeweyj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    603

    Default

    I think Shoreside Petroleum has the fuel dock in the Cordova harbor.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage and Seward
    Posts
    511

    Default

    It's been years since I've been there but no problem then getting around the harbor. But, be prepared for a long climb up a slimy ladder to get to the fuel dock, it's built for the commercial guys so fueling up at high tide is recommended. Maybe it's changed - ?

  4. #4
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,901

    Default

    I was there last spring. There is a fuel dock just port side as you enter (just before) the harbor from the North. There is also a fuel station in town that you could haul drums with if you had a cart or get someone from the bar to use their truck.

    The station is closed on Holidays. We were shrimping in central sound and made a run over for Memorial day and the fuel dock was closed. So we went into a bay and camped for the night and fueled in the morning.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I was there last spring. There is a fuel dock just port side as you enter (just before) the harbor from the North. There is also a fuel station in town that you could haul drums with if you had a cart or get someone from the bar to use their truck.

    The station is closed on Holidays. We were shrimping in central sound and made a run over for Memorial day and the fuel dock was closed. So we went into a bay and camped for the night and fueled in the morning.
    What he said and they have plenty of gas. It's a pile supported dock and you will tie up to the wooden piles.

  6. #6
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    It's been years since I've been there but no problem then getting around the harbor. But, be prepared for a long climb up a slimy ladder to get to the fuel dock, it's built for the commercial guys so fueling up at high tide is recommended. Maybe it's changed - ?
    Was there a couple years ago and that was my experience. I didn't like the climb.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Worked in Cordova for a month this past summer and had kept meaning to find the fuel dock there since we'd thought about going there a few times instead of running to Valdez to refuel and all that. The 1 nice thing is there is a full on grocery store right across the street from the harbor (AC Store) and the Reluctant Fisherman is a pretty nice hotel right on the harbor as well. The big thing i'ld say is on openers/closures there is a TON of bowpickers moving in and out of the harbor during the summer. I remember sitting up on the deck of the Reluctant Fisherman watching and thinking to myself, wow, not sure I'ld want to try to bring an expensive private boat in there as pretty much not even a weekend warrior type boat operator...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seafish View Post
    Worked in Cordova for a month this past summer and had kept meaning to find the fuel dock there since we'd thought about going there a few times instead of running to Valdez to refuel and all that. The 1 nice thing is there is a full on grocery store right across the street from the harbor (AC Store) and the Reluctant Fisherman is a pretty nice hotel right on the harbor as well. The big thing i'ld say is on openers/closures there is a TON of bowpickers moving in and out of the harbor during the summer. I remember sitting up on the deck of the Reluctant Fisherman watching and thinking to myself, wow, not sure I'ld want to try to bring an expensive private boat in there as pretty much not even a weekend warrior type boat operator...
    Definitely want to time it with openers. I've seen the fleet stretch for miles coming back from an opener.

    Some rich person sailed a multimillion dollar sailing yacht there years ago. Can't remember who it was, some celebrity. It was pretty cool.

  9. #9

    Default

    As stated above. The fuel dock is not in the harbor. It is about half a mile North of the harbor past the canneries. It is up on pilings. You don't have to climb the slimy ladders. The attendants will lower a plastic bucket down to you and you put your credit card or money in it. They will run it and then lower your receipt/card or change down to you. It sounds goofy but works well

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •