Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keeping a boat over winter

Took me awhile, went through 4 different boats.
    Finally figured out how to winterize a boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That would be nice, but I'm not quite ready for that big of a commitment yet!

In about 20 years though, I'm all about it.

One additional suggestion if you do early season boating. We do the Homer Derby and almost every year there are a couple of folks at the ramp who can't get their pisser hoses to flow. Most times it's just a bit of frozen water in the hose but it could well be the pump-which would be a bigger issue. When I winterize both the Yami 300 and 25 kicker on my boat in the fall I use the flush hose to run a bit of -50 RV fluid until I see it coming out of the indicator hose. Works quite well.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    One additional suggestion if you do early season boating. We do the Homer Derby and almost every year there are a couple of folks at the ramp who can't get their pisser hoses to flow. Most times it's just a bit of frozen water in the hose but it could well be the pump-which would be a bigger issue. When I winterize both the Yami 300 and 25 kicker on my boat in the fall I use the flush hose to run a bit of -50 RV fluid until I see it coming out of the indicator hose. Works quite well.

This has happened to me a lot. Sometimes even after pulling the boat out of a heated shop things freeze on the drive down. I typically just start the motor and let it idle for a few minutes. If no pee, then I shut if off for a couple and repeat until things thaw. If it pees but stings, then you know you have a problem... As for winterizing, RV antifreeze the pump(s), pull plug, keep tongue jacked up, and go fishing at least once a month. If that doesn't fit your schedule, do the tarp and 2x6 thing - just keep it tight so you don't get a puddle anywhere and the tarp doesn't flap in the wind. Shrink wrap is spendy and the second you cocoon that sucker the clouds part, the bite hits, and all your friends go winter fishing. Most self-bailing decks still have a bilge so they still have freeze issues if they forget to pull the plug.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123