Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a boat over winter

Default Keeping a boat over winter

First post for me!

I'm not quite yet a new owner of a 22' Ocean Pro, but soon enough I will be, like as of tomorrow. Exciting to say the least

I'm curious about keeping the boat through the winter. A normal winter I wouldnt be worried about, but lately with Alaska winters being so warm and then cold again, I think that there is a good chance if snow gets into the stern of the boat, then eventually melts, gets down into the bilge, then freezes again, it could cause some problems.

I've read a lot about the foam in these boats being affected by freezing/thawing, I cant do much about that, but I'm worried right now about the structural integrity of the hull. Will a couple gallons of melted snow down into the bilge, which doesnt sound like it drains amazingly with lots of water getting caught up in the foam, cause me problems?

I'm thinking I will need to rig up some sort of a board which runs from my cabin hard top down to the transom. I'd like to then tarp it and attach the tarp to the sides of the boat, or even just with bungee cords running underneath. That should keep all water out of the stern area.

Any other ideas or advice for me?

Where at you at, or where will the boat be stored. It doesn't take much to keep the gear/water in the boat from freezing,if you can access the bilge a small heater or even just a light bulb will do the job.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I am in Anchorage and do exactly what you mention on my 220 OP. I have rear and front 2x4 supports that run from the roof to a short vertical board and then I tarp it. I bought a large white tarp from Walmart 3 years ago and it is still working good. I bungee the tarp down to the bunks and under the trailer on the front. I'd rather have a pull in covered area for it, but the tarp works well.

Buy a couple gallons of RV antifreeze (for the plumbing on a trailer). Pour 3/4 gallon into the fish hold and run the emacerator pump until you spit out pink. Remove the screen from the washdown hose at the back of the boat and make a garden hose short section that screws onto it and then pour or suck RV antifreeze into the washdown pump. Remove the plug from the back of the boat. That is really about all you need to do.

Talk to Brian at BK Marine (if you are in SC) and either install or have him install a Planar D2 or D4 heater....you will love the heater. Should be THE first upgrade to any boat in Alaska.

Tell us some more details on your new Floater....

Thanks. I'll most likely be storing the boat down in Homer, not really close to any power source. It would be a long extension cord to power any sort of heater or light bulb. I would think though that with freezing aluminum surrounding the entire bilge area, a light bulb wouldnt work on the real cold days to keep all the foam thawed. It's maybe a good secondary step, but I'd like to keep water out of the bilge area in the first place if possible.

Thanks, Bull, thats a good idea about putting some RV antifreeze into the fish hold and washdown pump.

As far as heaters and upgrades go, I'm going to try to keep it down to $0 of upgrades for the first year. Really learn the boat, see what we like, then go from there. Maybe next winter work on some of the upgrades in a friends heated garage over a couple weekends. It will cost me quite a few six packs to rent the space

I'm glad to hear you've done the same thing. Got any pictures of your wood structure before the tarp was put over it? Or do you have one from inside which would show it. Even from the outside with the tarp would be helpful. I can figure it out on my own, but I always like to see what is working for others.

I havent 100% decided on a boat yet. Been giving quite a bit of thought to the 24' Ocean Pro, but it just doesnt quite work out financially. The 22' seems like what we will most likely settle on. Just your standard 22' Ocean Pro, with all the stuff Deweys regularly includes, other than I'm upgrading to the 1042xsv Garmin GPSMAP, instead of the 7" touchscreen model that they normally sell them with.

Do yourself a big favor and get a motor bigger than the 150. I put a 3.3L 250 on mine and I have NEVER said - Woah - that's too much power. I cruise faster when conditions allow and I get 3.0-3.2 mpg pretty consistently.

If you PM me I'll get you some pix. You might need some more posts. If you are in ANC you can come over and take a look at it too.

randy

A small tarp bungied to the top roof rails and down to the back of the transom or swim step would keep all of the wet out of the boat too. The front doesn't really leak down into the bilge area much (98% goes out the holes in the front).

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    A small tarp bungied to the top roof rails and down to the back of the transom or swim step would keep all of the wet out of the boat too. The front doesn't really leak down into the bilge area much (98% goes out the holes in the front).
    Thanks, I was kind of planning on just tarping the back, not worrying about the front. Biggest thing is it needs some structural strength, as if we do get a decent snow load I will be 250 miles away and unable to clear the snow off the tarp, so I'll definitely use some boards.

Do yourself a big favor and get a motor bigger than the 150. I put a 3.3L 250 on mine and I have NEVER said - Woah - that's too much power. I cruise faster when conditions allow and I get 3.0-3.2 mpg pretty consistently.

If you PM me I'll get you some pix. You might need some more posts. If you are in ANC you can come over and take a look at it too.

randy
    I cant PM yet, but you're welcome to PM me!

I'm happy too if you post pictures right here in this thread, no need to PM unless you're trying to keep it secretive.

I'm on line for getting a Yamaha F200 on it, nothing smaller. I considered the 250 but the 200 is plenty for my needs.

Shrinkwrap it

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    Shrinkwrap it
    I plan on doing at least two weekends of winter king fishing out of Homer, I dont want to deal with shrink wrap. I need to have it set up in some way that I can leave it for couple months unwatched, but if I want to go use it, not have to go through a huge get ready process, and then another huge process to store it.

Welcome to the heartbreak of a non self-bailing deck...

I would much rather have a self bailing deck, but man, I looked at only the hewes version and there sure is a ton of room it took them to raise up the floor and make them self bailing. Probably more to it than just the quick glance I took.

The 200 will be way better than the 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarps are tricky; if they fail and have a low spot they can end up creating a swimming pool of ice and water in your boat. Ive heard of broken trailers and hull damage.

I have had success keeping tarps functional for ten months unattended in Cordova and also on the anchorage hillside. I used a ridge pole and 2X4 “rafters” every two feet or so to support the ridge pole and ensure water runs off. My method for keeping the tarp attached was the bungies as already mentioned and nailing furring strips onto the rafters and ridge pole (through the tarp). Yes, it creates holes in the tarp but only in the high spots and I’ve never had a tarp blow off.

OK, now the deer and ducks can come out of hiding, Bullelk officially put his boat up for winter......(grin) :-)
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Thank you all for the suggests and much thanks for the pictures also, Bull.

That is pretty similar to what I plan on doing. I hadnt even thought about blocking up the front from snow, but that does make sense, even though it is self bailing. It would be easy enough to cut a piece of wood and hang a tarp to do it that I should just go ahead and do it for peace of mind.

Make sure to leave your rear plug out and have the tongue raised up at a fairly steep angle to keep any water moving out that may find its way into the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    OK, now the deer and ducks can come out of hiding, Bullelk officially put his boat up for winter......(grin) :-)
    Bk
    Ha! I keep it that way all the time when she is in the backyard! ***** pitch is some nasty schiznitz!

Ha! I keep it that way all the time when she is in the backyard! ***** pitch is some nasty schiznitz!

Birch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast