Thread: Where there are small ones there are big ones

Default Where there are small ones there are big ones

I have a good hole to catch small halibut, I was wondering if all the little ones will keep the bigger ones out of the area.

I don't think that is the case. You just have to remember that there aren't that many big ones out there in comparison to the little ones. Best advice to keep the little ones off your hook, is to run big hooks and bait, and be patient.

i work on a charter out of seward and we have a few chicken holes that we have pulled 140+lb fish out of but as far as i know the big ones can be anywhere

Chicken holes can produce big halibut, but that is far and few.. But I have found good holes that produce big halibut and still there are small halibut
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

thanks for the information this weekend im going to see if i can catch some pinks and use there heads for bait and see what that will get.

Speaking of deep creek, anchor point. My family has a 16' boat that cant go out far due to my mom with a bad neck. I was wondering how far /if its possible to go out and catch halibut out of there in seas of 2' or less. any spots that you could pm me id appreciate too, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Speaking of deep creek, anchor point. My family has a 16' boat that cant go out far due to my mom with a bad neck. I was wondering how far /if its possible to go out and catch halibut out of there in seas of 2' or less. any spots that you could pm me id appreciate too, thanks.
    Put in at Ninilchick. Go south about four miles. Fish about five hundred feet off shore, right in front of Happy Valley Subdivision. It is a good depression there that always holds plenty of halibut. The larger ones migrate directly through there. Two weeks ago it was excellent.

Default Fishing

Where ever you decide to go, keep checking your baits, most people just dump their stuff on the bottom and sit back... JIG,JIG, JIG, move, set out a chum bag, use your down rigger ball, JIG, JIG, JIG, and continuously evaluate the tide and current, where is my sent trail, and yes, catching little fish will bring in big fish! IMHO.