Thread: New Yamaha VK 540

Default New Yamaha VK 540

Has anybody any information on the new VK 540 or the new Arctic Cat XT made by Yamaha? I am considering buying one and any information that might be had would very much help.

My $.01.
    VK 540 is an outdated platform compared to the BRP ultity sleds. No comparison IMO in rider ergonomics and deep snow performance. I'm unsure why Yammi resurrected it. On the other hand, it is a Yamaha and as such is a very well built sled.
    The Bearcats are good machines, and seem to be very popular in your neck of the woods, but in my experience do not perform as well in deep snow and trail breaking. If your goal is on trail most of the time, it's hard to go wrong with any of the BCs.
    Why just the two on your list and not a Skandic or Tundra? The Skandics, especially with an ACE, are the gold standard for utility sleds. Again, IMO.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    My $.01.
    VK 540 is an outdated platform compared to the BRP ultity sleds. No comparison IMO in rider ergonomics and deep snow performance. I'm unsure why Yammi resurrected it. On the other hand, it is a Yamaha and as such is a very well built sled.
    The Bearcats are good machines, and seem to be very popular in your neck of the woods, but in my experience do not perform as well in deep snow and trail breaking. If your goal is on trail most of the time, it's hard to go wrong with any of the BCs.
    Why just the two on your list and not a Skandic or Tundra? The Skandics, especially with an ACE, are the gold standard for utility sleds. Again, IMO.

Thank you for your response, I am going to look at the skidoo machines but they might be out of my price point, and yes the VK has been arouznd for a long time the changes that I know of is the engine is much greener and the track now has inch and a half lugs.

Take the whole "green" bit with a grain of salt. It's still a carb air cooled 2 stroke. The 550 SkiDoos, the 570 Bearcats and the 540 VK will all be about the same mileage wise. If the ACE BRPs are out of your price range, and you are looking at the VK 540, consider the 550s in a Tundra or Skandic.
    Having said all that, if you get a good deal on the BC or VK, get it. They are good sleds and will serve you well.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default VK 540 Simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Has anybody any information on the new VK 540 or the new Arctic Cat XT made by Yamaha? I am considering buying one and any information that might be had would very much help.
    Here one for you to consider. While changes have been made to suspension and carb over the years much never changes just for change sakes. Other day I took the chain case housing out of a 25 year old VK (4 bolts and no disassembly) and slipped it into my newer model VK. After just owning a 4 stroke covered in wires and plastic and nothing accessible or swappable a VK is a pleasure. Stan

Quote Originally Posted by stanzuray View Post
    Here one for you to consider. While changes have been made to suspension and carb over the years much never changes just for change sakes. Other day I took the chain case housing out of a 25 year old VK (4 bolts and no disassembly) and slipped it into my newer model VK. After just owning a 4 stroke covered in wires and plastic and nothing accessible or swappable a VK is a pleasure. Stan
    I have now owned one for about 31/2 months, they are a fantastic machine, great on gas as long as you are not pulling 600 pounds like I did on my last trip, I have yet to get if stuck, it has the pro comfort suspension and rides great lots of low end and mid range tourque, anyway it has been a complete upgrade from my 2013 bearcat 570XT.

Just another update on the Arctic cat 540 XT, been hauling supplies and such up to our lake house on the north end of lake susitna, the machine continues to run flawless, has no problem breaking trail, I have been hauling loads of around 600 pounds with no problems at all I have never had to use low gear at anytime, I am getting around 15 or so miles to the gallon that is traveling 17 miles with the load and then back with no load. The machine does not dart on packed trails that In it's self a blessing as my 2013 bearcat seemed it wanted to kill me, The ride is not as good as my older bearcat but still nice, the clutch engagement is very smooth and the machine has lots of low end and mid range power, I have only had the machine up to 50 but it seems it would do at least 65 with no trouble, as far as rider comfort the hand thumb warmers work great the windsheild is crazy good even at 50 you get very little if any wind, the 2013 XT front suspension is more forgiving as the TSS suspension is somewhat choppy but not bad. The front end is just south of 38 inches compared to the 42 inches of the 2013 XT it does make a difference but on the positive side the TSS has a lot less drag when going through deep snow,

That is amazing that the wide track 540 2 stroke gets 15 mpg and the narrow track 570 gets 8 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by hilfikerkg View Post
    That is amazing that the wide track 540 2 stroke gets 15 mpg and the narrow track 570 gets 8 mpg.
    my 2013 bearcat 570 XT was a wide track, I think the biggest problem with the 2013 was in the gearing it was way to high, and with the diamond drive there was very little you could do to change that although I was hearing that a aftermarket supplier had come up with a product. I believe my 2013 was getting around 10MPG. The 2013 did have the best ride of any snowmachine that I had ever ridden it was very comparable to my Lincoln continental LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by stanzuray View Post
    And the jig saw puzzle they call the hood just to get to look at all the plastic and wires.On the new 4 strokes there is some stuff under there i do not even know the names of, i would be in over my head to try to work on one.As discussed earlier in the year, the 1 1/2 paddle was a no brainier for improvements and that is awesome that you are getting that kind of mileage out of it.Glad you are enjoying your new machine,it is nice to drive around with a smile on your face after spending that kind of cash on a new machine,unlike your old one that was now what ..? I hope you get years of trouble free riding out of it as it should be .
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

QUOTE...” I have been hauling loads of around 600 pounds with no problems at all I have never had to use low gear at anytime, I am getting around 15 or so miles to the gallon that is traveling 17 miles with the load and then back with no load.”. UNQUOTE

Why would u NOT use low gear when pulling your loads?? Surely you’re not doing 40-50 mph with it while towing. Seems you’re putting much more strain on your clutch etc than u need to be by being in high gear?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    QUOTE...” I have been hauling loads of around 600 pounds with no problems at all I have never had to use low gear at anytime, I am getting around 15 or so miles to the gallon that is traveling 17 miles with the load and then back with no load.”. UNQUOTE

Why would u NOT use low gear when pulling your loads?? Surely you’re not doing 40-50 mph with it while towing. Seems you’re putting much more strain on your clutch etc than u need to be by being in high gear?

[/QUOTE] honestly it did not feel like I needed to be in low gear the other thing is the weather was warm in the mid 30's I would say, I did cruise between 30 and 35 as I wanted to get some air moving to help cool the engine remember I was going acrose lake Louise and lake susitna So the terrain was flat. The factory recommends not going over 30 MPH in low gear.

The VK540 wasn't resurrected- it never stopped production. It has been a major workhorse in Russia all along. As for ergonomics- it is a very comfortable machine with a riding stance much like a Grizzly ATV. My wife and I have them and have been happy with them for the most part. I like the ergonomics, simplicity, wide track, and having the pull start for safety reasons. The only things I don't like are the weight (when you do get stuck- you are seriously stuck). I carry a Warn 1700 portable winch that attaches to anywhere on the machine with straps (have used it 4 times), and am getting wider skins. I really like the ski doo machines and at times I wish I had one with a quiet ACE engine, but these will long outlive my needs for any riding or freighting we need to do. I was advised to use low unless driving over 30mph so would advocate using low for pulling a load.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    The VK540 wasn't resurrected- it never stopped production. It has been a major workhorse in Russia all along. As for ergonomics- it is a very comfortable machine with a riding stance much like a Grizzly ATV. My wife and I have them and have been happy with them for the most part. I like the ergonomics, simplicity, wide track, and having the pull start for safety reasons. The only things I don't like are the weight (when you do get stuck- you are seriously stuck). I carry a Warn 1700 portable winch that attaches to anywhere on the machine with straps (have used it 4 times), and am getting wider skins. I really like the ski doo machines and at times I wish I had one with a quiet ACE engine, but these will long outlive my needs for any riding or freighting we need to do. I was advised to use low unless driving over 30mph so would advocate using low for pulling a load.

you are completely correct that they have been selling the VK over seas because of the EPA standards, I have been amazed at the MPG with the new up rated 540 engine. On mine I did get the wider ski skins and yes it makes a big difference in front end flotation. The new Yamaha or Arctic Cat 540 XT at first glance looks the same as they always have but they made huge changes everything from the track, suspension, engine, electronics, chassis. Even the steering has been raised to make it more comfortable when standing.
    as far as heavy the 2018 version weighs in at about 565 pounds still heavy and not something you want to get stuck. All in all the 2018 Arctic Cat 540 XT has meant and exceeded my expectations. I am sure the other brands are great as well this is only my experience with my machine.