Thread: New Yamaha VK 540

Default New Yamaha VK 540

Has anybody any information on the new VK 540 or the new Arctic Cat XT made by Yamaha? I am considering buying one and any information that might be had would very much help.

My $.01.
    VK 540 is an outdated platform compared to the BRP ultity sleds. No comparison IMO in rider ergonomics and deep snow performance. I'm unsure why Yammi resurrected it. On the other hand, it is a Yamaha and as such is a very well built sled.
    The Bearcats are good machines, and seem to be very popular in your neck of the woods, but in my experience do not perform as well in deep snow and trail breaking. If your goal is on trail most of the time, it's hard to go wrong with any of the BCs.
    Why just the two on your list and not a Skandic or Tundra? The Skandics, especially with an ACE, are the gold standard for utility sleds. Again, IMO.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    My $.01.
    VK 540 is an outdated platform compared to the BRP ultity sleds. No comparison IMO in rider ergonomics and deep snow performance. I'm unsure why Yammi resurrected it. On the other hand, it is a Yamaha and as such is a very well built sled.
    The Bearcats are good machines, and seem to be very popular in your neck of the woods, but in my experience do not perform as well in deep snow and trail breaking. If your goal is on trail most of the time, it's hard to go wrong with any of the BCs.
    Why just the two on your list and not a Skandic or Tundra? The Skandics, especially with an ACE, are the gold standard for utility sleds. Again, IMO.

Thank you for your response, I am going to look at the skidoo machines but they might be out of my price point, and yes the VK has been arouznd for a long time the changes that I know of is the engine is much greener and the track now has inch and a half lugs.

Take the whole "green" bit with a grain of salt. It's still a carb air cooled 2 stroke. The 550 SkiDoos, the 570 Bearcats and the 540 VK will all be about the same mileage wise. If the ACE BRPs are out of your price range, and you are looking at the VK 540, consider the 550s in a Tundra or Skandic.
    Having said all that, if you get a good deal on the BC or VK, get it. They are good sleds and will serve you well.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.