Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: State regulations on state public strips.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default State regulations on state public strips.

    Been checking into the laws on state use strips. Some of my neighbors continue to buffalo pilots and tell them that the strip we use ( state land) is privately maintained by them so it is private. I have talked to other pilots and they have given me some statutes that clearly show they are breaking the law. Have you had experiences like this and what did you do about it?

    I have had several members of this forum message me and complain about their experiences on Alexander creek. I don't want to go to the authorities as it is not pleasent thing to do but nothing else has worked. I have threatened to have a fly in cook out and raised cain to the point where they all hate me but none of it does any good. My partner was even told by one of them that we are picking a fight we can't win. What do you all think? This is where I live and I can't and won't turn a blind eye to it. I don't care what they do at all legally, just leave every one else alone and respect the other pilots and legal hunters.

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    I would definitely address this with the Troopers. Or arrange a fly-out with a few of us, record the situation if it really gets ugly, then get the Troopers involved.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I would definitely address this with the Troopers. Or arrange a fly-out with a few of us, record the situation if it really gets ugly, then get the Troopers involved.
    A fly out it is. Been always wanting to meet another fellow Mason! Next June I will try to get something going! I will bring extra hot dogs in case they decide to be nice!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    A fly out it is. Been always wanting to meet another fellow Mason! Next June I will try to get something going! I will bring extra hot dogs in case they decide to be nice!
    Only tweak I would add is that recording the fly-in is a good idea even if there are no problems....show a pattern of public use of the state land.

    I'd guess that the "...fight you can't win..." aspect comes from the fact that the landowner (SoA) is "remote" and "faceless" while the angry neighbors will be there in person to get face-to-face with any pilots dropping in. Makes for a unpleasant situation, regardless of the merits of the situation.

    BTW...no snow to speak of in the Los Anchorage area, a few inches of snowfall but unless it drifted, doesn't really amount to much so far this season; looks like someone might have swept your plane off after the 1st one and any subsequent snow has blown off or sublimated since. No snow on the plane as of yesterday circa Noon.
    Back in AK

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    Only tweak I would add is that recording the fly-in is a good idea even if there are no problems....show a pattern of public use of the state land.

    I'd guess that the "...fight you can't win..." aspect comes from the fact that the landowner (SoA) is "remote" and "faceless" while the angry neighbors will be there in person to get face-to-face with any pilots dropping in. Makes for a unpleasant situation, regardless of the merits of the situation.

    BTW...no snow to speak of in the Los Anchorage area, a few inches of snowfall but unless it drifted, doesn't really amount to much so far this season; looks like someone might have swept your plane off after the 1st one and any subsequent snow has blown off or sublimated since. No snow on the plane as of yesterday circa Noon.

    Thanks pa12drvr! Much appreciated! I have a neighbor who stops by when in town and then when I was leaving the state I bumped into the pilot tied down next to me and he offered to keep an eye on it to. Great guy! Now that you brought it up it sure would be nice if my neighbors on the creek were as friendly and cordial as my fellow pilots at Brchwood! Maybe we could replace them with you guys! LOL

    I'm not to worried about a fly out knock out drag out hoe down. They know i wont take their BS, so they will leave us alone. I'll save a hot dog for you pa12dtvr, and whole bunch of Macadamia Nuts

    Aloha and Mahalo!!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    I have done more research on this issue. It is without a doubt a violation of the law to claim state public land as private. To insinuate that is private or to illegally post no trespassing signs on state property without the states permission. Also brushing and cutting a trail on state land cannot exceed 5 foot in width and can only be done with hand tools such as a chain saw. Making a trail does NOT create a property right or an interest in the trail. This also pertains to the airstrip. Just because you choose to voluntarily maintain the strip does not give you special interest in the strip or any jurisdiction of that strip.

  7. #7
    Member ChugiakTinkerer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Yep! That's the gospel from the state's Generally Allowed Uses fact sheet.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/la..._allow_use.pdf

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I'd tell them nice try and thanks for keeping it clear. Other than that, it's public land.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I'd tell them nice try and thanks for keeping it clear. Other than that, it's public land.
    Any one that hunts around here or fly's to this strip should carry the State of Alaska public lands fact sheet, Alaska state hunting regulations regarding the law against harassing hunters, and a copy of the following Alaska State Statutes: AS.02.20.050 regarding Obstruction of Airports and runways, and AS 11.40.530 regarding Coercion.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,905

    Default

    If I could catch a ride over there, I'd bring some moose cheddar dogs.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    If I could catch a ride over there, I'd bring some moose cheddar dogs.

    They will go good with my Moose jalapeno dogs!

  12. #12
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    I am in. Would love to get out there and visit with you.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    I am in. Would love to get out there and visit with you.

    Great! Love good company. Come spring I will post some dates and we will do it. Because of the size of the strip and the room to park the plane i can't take too many at one time but I was thinking I have plenty of four wheeler's and wagons. I could pick up some of you and ride you to the homestead for a proper barbeque. Also that way if anyone one wants to fly in on floats there is plenty of room to park at the homestead for 3 or four float planes. Might have to have more than one get together too! Gee, having Turd heads for neighbors has turned into a positive after all! LOL

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    I am in. Would love to get out there and visit with you.
    Checked out your FB page, love your photos!

  15. #15
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Sound like a plan. I get out that way quite often and love to meet new people. And thanks for the kind words!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •