Thread: Lightweight Tripod for 20-60x85 Spotter - recommendations???

Default Lightweight Tripod for 20-60x85 Spotter - recommendations???

Hey, I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight tripod for my spotting scope. I've done some basic interweb searches, but wonder if there is a niche brand/model that excels. I don't need full height, nor do I want to have to be laying prone to use it, so I think if there is one that is 3/4 height, that'd cover most situations.

I've walked through Cabelas, and also in Boondocks and found a Vortex high country model at 2.5 lbs, but that felt pretty heavy and over built for what I think I'm looking for....

Anyone have thoughts! Thanks, kw

This one...
    Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Sirui-T-025X-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-Kit---Black-SIRUI-T-025X-&catalog[product_guids][0]=1347155

I bought one last summer and used it for my PENTAX PF-65ED for sheep hunting. 21ozs. I upgraded from a small aluminum unit. HUGE difference, very stable. You can remove/unscrew the extender and screw the head right on the tripod. Stable, light, strong and you can tell it's a quality built unit. I wasn't sure I'd like the Ball Head but I do. No problem supporting my spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by zenpilot View Post
    Hey, I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight tripod for my spotting scope. I've done some basic interweb searches, but wonder if there is a niche brand/model that excels. I don't need full height, nor do I want to have to be laying prone to use it, so I think if there is one that is 3/4 height, that'd cover most situations.

I've walked through Cabelas, and also in Boondocks and found a Vortex high country model at 2.5 lbs, but that felt pretty heavy and over built for what I think I'm looking for....

Anyone have thoughts! Thanks, kw
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

We upgraded our camera gear with a very heavy telephoto lens last year and in the process upgraded our tripod to protect our investment.

Upon recommendations by photography friends we went with the MeFOTO Classic Carbon tripod. It was pricey but has a weight capacity around 26lbs, is solid as a rock even with the 17lb camera/lens attached and is extremely easy to maneuver and operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    We upgraded our camera gear with a very heavy telephoto lens last year and in the process upgraded our tripod to protect our investment.

Upon recommendations by photography friends we went with the MeFOTO Classic Carbon tripod. It was pricey but has a weight capacity around 26lbs, is solid as a rock even with the 17lb camera/lens attached and is extremely easy to maneuver and operate.
    I've been really happy with my mefoto tripods. I have a bigger 5 section one for my dslr and a small 2 section for the spotting scope.

A lot of people look of photography tripods cause they are not hunting or something of the like. When camera equipment far far exceeds even the most expensive spotting scope set ups in price and weight.

I like the carbon fiber Manfrotto, not sure if they have a compact carbon though.