Thread: Where to go?

Default Where to go?

I'm not looking for specifics here cause I know I wouldn't get it anyway but where is a good area, with reasonable access, where someone could do some recreational working with a pan or detector? I'm not looking to get rich but some color in the pan or a nugget or two for a day out would be nice.

East Fork of the Kings River accessed by the Permrnte Trail on avt's has proved to be good recreational panning spot.

Default Hope

Ressurection River, in Hope in particular the St. Louis claim. open to all from foot bridge to foot bridge. You can also detect the tailing piles that the road runs through. Then there is always the Crow Creek mine in Girdwood. I think it is $10 for a detectorist and $5 for panning or is is $15 and $10 now.... I forget

Bertha Creek on the Seward Highway about half-way between Anchorage and Seward. Go to the upstream side of the highway. First 1/4 mi open to all. Hard not to find good amounts of color...nuggets up to 1/4" have been found in bedrock. Best bets: dig where you see others have been digging. Best results on the north side of the creek. Bonus: right across the highway is Bertha Creek Campground. Good place to take the family RV, and make it a fun outdoors weekend...

Marshall

Is the area on the upstream side open to four wheelers??

Dan

Question Kings river

Where is Kings river

Quote Originally Posted by xcopper99 View Post
    Is the area on the upstream side open to four wheelers??

Dan
    I don't know if it is tecnically "open" to 4-wheelers, but I see them drive in there now and then via the old gravel road on the north side. Some years ago the Forest "Service" installed a 8X8" wooden post in the middle of the access road, blocking motorized access. I think somebody made it go away. My best guess is if you're in there on a 4-wheeler, expect to catch a bunch of B.S. from the F.S., if they happen to show up. It's only a 1/4 mile walk from the highway though. I think Bertha Creek is still one of our best recreational panning/sluicing areas. I've never gone there without finding color.

Marshall
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"