Thread: McGrath ski strip

Default McGrath ski strip

Been wanting to fly down to McGrath from Fairbanks with the ski plane. Question: Are you guys landing on the river or is runways 5/23 set up as a ski strip? Also, where is the fuel located on the field? The supplement does not have much info. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Been wanting to fly down to McGrath from Fairbanks with the ski plane. Question: Are you guys landing on the river or is runways 5/23 set up as a ski strip? Also, where is the fuel located on the field? The supplement does not have much info. Thanks in advance.
    I am going off a few years old memory. I flew in charter and commercially in the spring (March and May) and I was in a plane with wheels both times. The fuel was off to the side closer to the river (if I remember correctly).

I will reach out to some friends that live in McGrath to see if my memory is correct.

I donít have Barneyís number handy but call Mag Air and ask him. He is in and out of there just about daily, although on wheels. He will give you a good update on ice conditions and anything else you may need. Last I heard the river just stopped, so without some snow itís probably going to chatter your teeth if you land on the ice.
    it will be another week before I can get out there but I will give a update whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by roamak View Post
    I donít have Barneyís number handy but call Mag Air and ask him. He is in and out of there just about daily, although on wheels. He will give you a good update on ice conditions and anything else you may need. Last I heard the river just stopped, so without some snow itís probably going to chatter your teeth if you land on the ice.
    it will be another week before I can get out there but I will give a update whenever I can.
    That's who I've flown with on charters. Always with wheels.

Crowley pulled out of the McGrath fuel business. You are at the mercy of the locals for fuel...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Crowley pulled out of the McGrath fuel business. You are at the mercy of the locals for fuel...
    Iím pretty sure northern petroleum took over the Avgas along with local fuel sales. I havenít seen it with my own eyes but thatís what I heard. I donít know if they moved the pumps or left it on the ramp in front of the bar and gas station.

You could always just call Flight Service, they are always helpful.
    DENNY

As of last spring the fuel was still in operation in the same spot over by the bar, just past transient parking. Straight ski operation is dependent on conditions when you get there, but I've had good luck just to the east of 34/16 when the runways aren't covered with ice or snow.