Thread: Shipping fish

Default Shipping fish

Wondering whats the best way to ship some fish to the lower 48? What's a good place around Kenai to have the fish processed and shipped?

It is illegal to ship dipnet caught fish out of the state, it is for personal use only, ie at your home, in state.

Here are the specifics on personnal use fisheries:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...nformation.cfm

Fish and Game's Dipnet 101 sheet has some good info which states "Fish can be shared only with immediate family members (regardless of residency)". To me this adds a second question (For example) perhaps you a resident want to ship fish to say your wife you lives out of state and is a resident of another state. Guess you would have to figure out what "immediate family" means to gain the answer to that, immediate family may mean that they live with you....who knows. Keep those you dip and give the rod and reel fish away, or better yet keep the reds and give the Silvers away. Or if you are really nice give you Halibut away and keep your Salmon. With all the gift fish you should probably think about the transfer of possession form too, I believe it applies for fish as it does game.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...%20101.pdf

One other note from the regulations is that "nonresidents may not handle any of the gear or operate a boat that is being used for personal use fishing, or have in their possession fish harvested in a personal use fishery." So with that you can only feed your immediate resident family with you dip netting fish (or at least that is how I read it).

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...ral/07SCpu.pdf

Wow.. thanks, I didn't know that I can't ship the dipnet fish, guess I better ship my kings then, although my sister qualifies to me as the immediate family member as I'm not married yet.. but whatever, she can eat the kings.

Even if she were immediate family she would have to be an Alaskan resident to have in her possession fish harvested in a personal use fishery, per the aforementioned ADF&G links (regs).

I don't mind the restrictions on dip netted fish, as I'm very grateful we have the opportunity to harvest fish with a net.

Default Mail it....

in case your questoin applies to other than dipnetted fish

I've had great luck express mailing fish to the lower 48

I use a cooler I pick up at a garage sale, fill it with frozen fish and presto 24-36 hours later it's on the doorstep in the lower 48

check with your post office to see when is the best time to drop off (so you can keep the fish in the freezer til the last minute)

Default Dipnetted fish cannot be sent to help Emmonak?

So unless you personally have close kin living there, you can't donate some salmon from your freezers to Emmonak's without breaking the law?

Does that make any common sense right now?

Probably true. So just send the salmon fillets in your freezer that were not caught by "dip net". I'm sure you can tell the difference. Where there is a will there is a way.

I've had good luck sending fish via FedEx next day air. Good luck as in the fish always arrived to its destination still frozen. But it ain't cheap! I believe FedEx allows you to send 2 kg (or there abouts) of dry ice / package. I shipped 30 lbs of halibut to my folks in PA with some dry ice this past fall and it arrived still rock hard. Not sure I needed the dry ice, but I included it just in case the package got held up somewhere along the way for a day or two. FedEx did charge me extra for using one of my own coolers rather than using one of their boxes.

As for salmon, I just send family members canned silvers I caught during the season. Since they are canned, you can just package them up in a USPS flat rate box and send them pretty cheaply (I can fit 9 1-pint jars in one of those boxes with plenty of padding).

Jeff