Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ski doo expedition sport 900 review

Default Ski doo expedition sport 900 review

Curious of those who have a recent expedition sport with the 900 ace Looking for a replacement sled. Older guy but still like exploring as well as hauling sled and then dropping and romping around. Always had pull start 2 cycles that would start regardless of the temp and snapped to throttle response. Is the 900 enough to put a grin on your face when the throttle mashed? My current machine is an rmk 700 that's almost 20 yrs old but runs like a top, but it getting aged and no reverse. But I sure like the ways it's ready to get with it when requested. If the performance is fair, i do like the idea greater fuel efficiency and the endurance of a 4 stoke and not having to purchase $$$ 2cycle oil. Have had to use a jump pack in cold temps to start in the morning? Let me know your opinion.
    Thx

I've heard that the 900 ACE is impressive when you mash the throttle and has a lot of low end grunt. You might also peruse and ask questions on this forum: http://www.dootalk.com/forums/

I have road a few 900 expeditions and don't have any complaints about them, there a very fuel efficient sled that is capable of a lot! I personally like the higher horse 600 etec or the 800 etec. then there is also the new Polaris titan that looks pretty interesting but it hasn't proven reliable yet.

Really loving my Expedition LE 900 Ace. It's my first machine ever so can't really compare, other than to say it's really quiet compared to my buddy's Polaris 2-stroke. I've got the wide track for towing, but I was really looking at the sport too.

Thx Guys.
    Polaris Titan looks interesting. Have the motor issues been resolved? Heard from a few different ones of overheating and other issues in the past few years. But the way its setup is what I am looking for.

I still like the ski doo for the economy. Wonder why Polaris still doesn't have something in the 4 stroke equivalent?

I just went into Team CC Eagle River and chatted with a couple guys about this exact sled. The unanimous reply was 600 etec was the preferred motor. I was a bit surprised as I was leaning towards the 900 ace like you. Certainly made me leave there more confused than I went as I almost had my mind made up I wanted the 900 Expedition. They said the 4 stroke was a “different” ride and if you have any experience on sleds it would take some getting used to the different motor. I guess I’m going to have to try to do a test ride on a 4stroke before I commit to a $13k sled
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I didn't mind it at all. It has plenty of pickup and tons of grunt. Every bit as good as a 600 ETech in my opinion.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have both a Renegade X w/ the 600etec, and the Expedition sport with the ACE - they are different, but not so different that it takes any getting used to. CC is probably trying to sell you a sled that they have too many of. The Etec is a great motor, no doubt, but it will not last nearly as long as the ACE, it need premium gas (hard to find in the middle of nowhere), requires XPS oil ($$$), and still leaves you smelling like a 2-stroke at the end of the day. The Etec has more snap, a higher top end, and is louder than the ACE - but they both pull the same weight if hauling (The chassis will give before either motor does). If anything, the ACE motor makes a worse rider look better, since they are WAY less likely to get stuck in the deep. That motor can crawl along through the trees at 3-4mph without spinning a track, or you can rip down the trail at 70+mph. The reversible throttle, the quiet motor, and the lack of smell makes the Expedition sport really nice on long rides. I guess the long and the short of it is... I'm constantly looking on Craigslist for an expedition sport so I can sell my Renegade and have two sports (one for the wife)... but in case you have not noticed... the ACE motor, or the Expedition sport are never on there. Get what I'm saying? Oh, and River Sea and Marine in Soldotna (Bob) made me a deal that was $2k less than CC on my Expy. I paid less than $10K w/ a cover, tall windshield, AC plug-in, and tunnel bag.

My two cents on four strokes and 2 strokes. We have two four stroke 800 Ski- Doo's. The 2010 SWT now has 19,000 miles on it. The Expedition threw a crank at 5,400 miles. The timing chain broke and there was no guide to stop it from going to the bottom. My partner liked the ride so much that she spent 5,000 rebuilding it. Now they don't make 800's anymore so have fun piecing parts together. All being said I love my SWT. Cowling formed like a real machine with a real windshield for the bush The new ones are like racing machines with little protection from the wind, Good on gas and one heck of a performer. That being said I have a 1997 Polaris wide track with an indestructable Fuji motor, and a 2008 fan cooled Bearcat. Both of these machines I can work on repair myself. Both of these machines are easier to get parts for than the SWT. Also it is almost impossible to put screws in the SWT track because of no space.The four strokes need hauling to the shop for a four week wait. Not something I care to do living in the bush. Plus, the fan cooled ones can operate on little snow and a lot of ice, something that seems to be happening all the time lately. Just think for 13,000 I can get probably 4 older model 2 strokes and put a little money into them, switch them out as far as use and be way ahead. When my SWT goes to snow machine heaven I think I will be grabbing some more older rebuild sleds and running four of them and call it a day.

Agree.! Cost of new machines is mind numbing!
    Without trying to sound like my dad: I bought my first NEW car a Mazda Rx 3 for $3400.
    and I believe it's still going somewhere!

OP subject : if the 4 stroke is getting close to the 2 cycle performance and handling : that is enticing.

I am not a tree hugger: but I like the lower cost, cleaner burn, and longevitity of the principle of the 4 stroke, ...from the couch. It sounds good,....but what is it really like in the snow?

Ex:
    Last time to cabin: two well used older rmk700's and a newer 4 stroke machine sat out all night till morning. Temps -10 to -15F. Cabin woke in morning: 4 stroker starts thinking about starting his machine. Goes out and tries but fails to start, .....tents machine and tries to add heat, ...no good, finally pulls battery and brings it into cabin to warm it up on the wood stove to get it to started the beast.😱😱😱.
    all ribbing aside!

Meantime; old, well used rmk 700's owners, of which I am one, watch this parade over a leisurely breakfast of bacon, eggs, burritos and coffee. ( I might have even had a trip to the outhouse? Can't remember. 😂 ). Then do our typical mandatory dishes and clean up of the cabin. Then proceed outside, still -10F out, and on second pull start our machines for the days ride!

in the blue haze of our machines running, go over and help the 4 stroke get his running for the days ride.

Thats my look at jumping from 2 stroke to 4. I really like what is being preached : but what is the reality?

I know technology is leading us this way; but is it ther yet? 4 strokes are hard to start in the cold. Batteries loose cranking amps in the cold. (Are you really going to be able to pull start that beast without pulling every muscle in your face? LOL 😳 I don't think so. )
    This is not an issue if you reside where its relatively warm or can plug your machine in for a block heater to work , but this is not the realaity for most interior Alaska and/or any remote machining! Unless you bring a jump pack, what do you do?

i like the idea of the 4 stroke. Just hoping it will get more refined and developed. Which I am sure will happen if the consumer keeps demanding it: just not sure we will be able to afford it!

guess that's why I drive an old 2 stroke without reverse! Ha ha 😡

My '15 Expedition in the 900 ACE had no problem starting at -16 F the first time I camped out with it. I've also had -20 F at the cabin and it started fine. As the battery ages that might not be the case, and I could end up like the the fellow you mention. Over on Dootalk the guys riding 4-stroke like to bring a Li-Ion battery booster. Would be a heck of a lot easier to keep that warm.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    My '15 Expedition in the 900 ACE had no problem starting at -16 F the first time I camped out with it. I've also had -20 F at the cabin and it started fine. As the battery ages that might not be the case, and I could end up like the the fellow you mention. Over on Dootalk the guys riding 4-stroke like to bring a Li-Ion battery booster. Would be a heck of a lot easier to keep that warm.
    When mine was new it started at 10 below one day. I had the cover on and wasn't planning on going anywhere but went out and tried it and it started. One of my clients said good, if it starts at 10 below you can haul at those temps! I told him I didn't say I would haul at 10 below I said it would start at 10 below! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    . Also it is almost impossible to put screws in the SWT track because of no space.
    Alex..... What do u mean w this statement? Are u referring to ice screws in the track itself? No room to install? Not enough space between track and undercarriage to allow not tearing up your undercarriage with them?
    Also, could u comment on AGL's thread looking for pricing on the SWT Ski doo.? Thanks.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Go for the 900! I have a 1200, and 550 tundra, buddies have 600 aces, and 900s. We are trappers and avid snowmobilers, that used to be die hard 2-stroke fans, now we only have a couple 2-strokes left, all switched to four stroke. The 900 is the best blend of fuel effiency and power. All three will start at -30, go out and hit the start botton and back in to drink more coffee. No smoke, or choke, or extra gas! 900 ace is very much on par with the 700 polaris for power, with the 900 have better low end.

Heat exchanger is too close to the track. I was able to put small screws in the 2010. What year SWT? I know the 2010 4 stroke in good condition goes for $5315.00 on blue book.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Heat exchanger is too close to the track. I was able to put small screws in the 2010. What year SWT? I know the 2010 4 stroke in good condition goes for $5315.00 on blue book.
    Does the 2010 swt have a heat exchanger above the track? I've got screws in my 2010 the last3 years or so and haven't had a problem. I'm almost positive my 2010 does not have a heat exchanger under carriage. (?).

Thanx for the price quote...rep sent.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Does the 2010 swt have a heat exchanger above the track? I've got screws in my 2010 the last3 years or so and haven't had a problem. I'm almost positive my 2010 does not have a heat exchanger under carriage. (?).

Thanx for the price quote...rep sent.
    My '09 has a heat exchanger above the drivers I'm pretty sure the '10 does too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

I run screws in my track but don't run them in the middle section of the track where the heat exchanger is. 2014 600 Etec SWT. I get some contact in the very back of the tunnel where it turns down. Not any real damage just screw tracks and they come from going to fast down really moguly trails where the back articulated part of the track pops up and hits the tunnel.

I have one friend with the 900 Ace in SWT and a couple with the 600 Ace and they really like their machines. I also think there is a 900 Ace machine hauling freight out of Yentna Station.

I still have a couple 550 fan cooled machines, a 2006 SWT and a 2008 Tundra LT but am thinking of getting rid of them, especially the Tundra. Gas mileage is terrible which means limited range without hauling lots of gas. The only reason I want to keep the SWT is so I have something to ride when the newer one is in the shop.....like it was the whole month of March last year. Fuel pump problems and slow service.

It is above the track but still close. You have to use the littlest screws. If I remeMber right it was 3/8?

Go with the 900 Ace is my opinion. I love mine, plenty of grunt for me in Sport mode to keep me happy. Have you heard one run? No? Me neither.....whisper quiet, love that part.20151216_185813.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast