Thread: NMEA 2000 Thermometer

Default NMEA 2000 Thermometer

I thought I would share a pretty simple winter project that seems to have worked out. One thing that I get asked a lot when out on the boat is what the air temperature is. My standard answer is I have no idea, but I can tell yo the water temperature to a tenth of a degree. I did a put of looking, and found a NMEA 2000 thermometer, manufactured in Russia.

https://www.google.com/search?q=YDTC...hrome&ie=UTF-8

It was $99, so I decided to give it a try. It simply plugs into my NMEA 2000 network, which most modern chartplotters have. When I powered it up, I saw the device on the NMEA network, and then I just went into my chartplotter configuration to add it to the display. All of the electronics are right at the NMEA 2000 plug, and it only takes three wires to remote the sensor to it's permanent location. I plan on putting it up on my radar arch underneath so that it is out of the sun and hopefully gives good readings. I can even use my abandoned GPS antenna cable, since my new Garmin has a built in antenna. Hopefully I am not jinxing myself before I install the sensor, but the manual says that you can extend the sensor with just regular wire.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I have a wireless remote...bout 20 bucks.

The capability of the nmea2000 network is amazing, nearly anything onboard can be monitored and displayed on connected devices. Yatchd, Maretron, Actisense, noland, and others have a wide range of sensors and modules capable of monitoring and even controlling many aspects of the boat. Engine gauges, exhaust temp, fuel levels and flow, vibration monitors, wind speed, even stereo controls and remote monitoring. Pretty exciting stuff.
    I recently used a engine display/gateway from veethree that converts old style analog engine gauge info to digital and displays on its own screen and also makes the data available to the nema2000 network so engine info can be displayed on tje chart plotter or remote displays.