Thread: Lake Hood in Winter

Default Lake Hood in Winter

I'll be putting straight skis on my SQ2 in the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure that means at Lake Hood I'm landing on the lake, correct?

Not being a float pilot I've only landed on the gravel strip before. What's the procedure to land on skis? Is there a transient parking area so I could head to town to do some shopping? And where is the fuel located at the lake?

Thanks
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

If the lake is open you fly inbound and outbound using floatplane water lanes and routes. If the lake is NOTAM closed you can still operate at your own risk. Contact tower and announce intentions. They'll ask you to call airborne going out and down and clear when arriving when the lake is closed.

25 years at Lake Hood and the winter transient question is a total mystery to me. No idea.

There's an ACE fuel self-serve pump at the public ramp on the west shore of Lake Hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    If the lake is open you fly inbound and outbound using floatplane water lanes and routes. If the lake is NOTAM closed you can still operate at your own risk. Contact tower and announce intentions. They'll ask you to call airborne going out and down and clear when arriving when the lake is closed.

25 years at Lake Hood and the winter transient question is a total mystery to me. No idea.

There's an ACE fuel self-serve pump at the public ramp on the west shore of Lake Hood.
    Thanks, just the info I was looking for.
    Phil Whittemore

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post

The fuel dock dock is no longer at the west public ramp. I would call the truck to meet you at the north public ramp. I have seen planes park near the north public ramp for short periods (like a shopping trip into town).

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    The fuel dock dock is no longer at the west public ramp. I would call the truck to meet you at the north public ramp. I have seen planes park near the north public ramp for short periods (like a shopping trip into town).
    Thanks. I guess I should pay more attention!

Thanks for the additional info! Skis should be on by the weekend! Now not to do anything stupid since I've never flown on skis before. :-)
    Phil Whittemore

Skis are pretty easy overall. Take a run up to Talkeetna and see Don Lee. He can show you a lot of tricks to keep you out of trouble the first year. Carry a snow shovel, I carry a aluminum grain shovel if I have room.
    DENNY

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    Skis are pretty easy overall. Take a run up to Talkeetna and see Don Lee. He can show you a lot of tricks to keep you out of trouble the first year. Carry a snow shovel, I carry a aluminum grain shovel if I have room.
    DENNY
    Yea I guess the e-tool I carry would be pretty inefficient. I'll give Don Lee a call. Thanks Denny.
    Phil Whittemore

Phil
    I will be bringing the 180 down to Peninsula Aero Technology for some upgrades next if all go's as planned. I hope to help during the day but will be free for beers/stories at night. I think I still have your card, I will give you a call.
    DENNY

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    Phil
    I will be bringing the 180 down to Peninsula Aero Technology for some upgrades next if all go's as planned. I hope to help during the day but will be free for beers/stories at night. I think I still have your card, I will give you a call.
    DENNY
    Sounds good. When are you coming down?
    Phil Whittemore

Phil
    DENNY

Opps double post. Right now it will be Monday after Thanksgiving. Still a bit fluid on that waiting on stuff.
    DENNY