Thread: Marine Wildlife - Seward or Whittier

Default Marine Wildlife - Seward or Whittier

I have family coming up for a visit. They want to take a cruise and hopefully see a whale. I have been out of Seward on Cruises twice and saw whales both times. That being said I've been to Seward a lot and have never been to Whittier. I'll be fishing out of Seward this weekend and the following weekend. I prefer some new scenery and would like to go out of Whittier, but not sure if there is much wildlife where the cruise boats go.

What are the chances of seeing a whale, sea lion, otter, etc. out of Whittier?
    This might not be the best spot to post this, but I figure the folks on this forum are the ones out on the water.

Thanks

Default No guarantees anywhere

But out of whittier quite often I see porpoise, and sea otters. I have seen seals and sea lions a lot too but... Whales this year I have only seen on hump back. Just depends on how good your eyes are and the captains. You just never know what you are going to see. Could do the 26 glacier cruise and then if you see wildlife it is just a bonus. Sea otters are every where out there and quite a lot by where the cruise boats go. But everything else just depends. Whittier would be a great change of scenery for you and your guests. It is awesome out there. Lots more too see than Seward. It will be your call though.

Default I saw all of the above mentioned last weekend out of Whittier

PWS is simply amazing. Saw two different species of whales, numerous sea otters and porpoises. Theres a huge bird rookery just accross from Whittier and numerous glaciers to see. All this within 25 miles from Whittier.

My 13 yr daughter took a field trip cruise this past spring and saw all the above, plus a black bear and they also took her to one of the fish hatcheries for a tour.

AH

Default orcas too

I went on a halibut charter out of Valdez. We had a pod of orcas swim right beside the boat. The captain said he was taking video of them the day before and one surfaced so close that the camera lens got sprayed!! I know about the 100 yd limit but he was under power and they came to the boat; he didn't go to them.

Default Either

If your family has never been out before, either place is going to be a treat. Since you've been out of Seward a few times I suggest giving PWS a try. You'll see more glaciers and maybe not as much wildlife (you never know) but you guys will still enjoy it.

Two weeks ago while we were halibut fishing out of Whittier, 2 humpbacks put on a show for us for about an hour, breaching and slapping thier fins on the water. We were about 5 mile away and could still see and hear it.

For whales it would be a hit or miss kind of deal for you out of Whittier. But, there is no other place like PWS!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I'd vote Whittier for a scenic cruise. No gurantees on wildlife out of either port, but the scenery out of Whittier is just amazing.

I also vote Whittier. We were out Saturday, saw three whales, porpoise, a black bear on the beach, deer on the beach, sea otters, puffins and a huge bald eagle.

Hello all, long time listener first time caller here.I have been out of whittier eight times this year and have seen alot of wildlife every time.Seven out of 8 times we seen whales at close range and the time we didnt the windows were fogging&choppy, overcast.So i think your chances are good.

Thanks everyone. Whittier it is.