Thread: Boots for Cold Weather

Default Boots for Cold Weather

I'm looking to get boots I can wear in weather from -10F to 15F. The problem I am having is the footwear needs to wear a lot of hats. I will backpack in them (up to 3 miles distance) but I will also wear them at the lean-to or camp while sitting.

I've been considering the Muck Arctic Pro Extreme and the Cabelas Predator Pacx boots. I don;t know how well either would be hiking several miles. I've never own either.

One further consideration. Where I live in the lower 48, the sun will sometimes melt snow by day and freeze by night so footing can be a little challenging as I backpack into a location. Not do any real vertical, just some slippery small undulations in spots.

I'd be open to any other suggestion as well.

Ten below isnt that cold...especially if you're hiking...(and there's no deep snow)...just use a quality, comfortable, supporting hiking boot like you normally would, but with two layers of socks- an inner liner sock and a thick arctic outer sock. Use slip-on ice cleats for the bad spots.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I wish my hiking boots were roomier but using extra or thicker socks means I would have to buy a new pair hiking boots a half size up. I would not get as much use out of that investment as I would a winter pac boot or muck boot.

My gut tells me the winter pac boot is the way for me to go but I've never had experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post

My gut tells me the winter pac boot is the way for me to go but I've never had experience with them.
    They suck for backpacking, I can tell ya that...like em for snow chores....shoveling, wood getting, etc...just make sure they have removable liners or else drying them out from daily wear will be a real pain. I've pretty much gravitated towards quality waterproof full grain leather hikers for year round work and play...I just layer socks according to the conditions. XtraTufs for swamp walking or mud/slush. Down booties or Uggs are the cats meow for lounging around outdoors....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    I wish my hiking boots were roomier but using extra or thicker socks means I would have to buy a new pair hiking boots a half size up.
    Maybe try these with the boots you have now? https://www.thewarmingstore.com/lect...ted-socks.html
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'd have to do some searching, but I would suggest a pair of down booties that go over your boots for times you are sitting still. If you are moving at all -10 is not very cold. Use your good hunting boots and slip on the down booties sitting still. very lightweight and pack down into nothing.

Something like this. Just google down booties and you will find many options.
    https://www.zappos.com/p/baffin-base...171110063925:s

I retired a pair of the Muck Arctic Pro last year. They were really warm and one of my favorite go to boots in the winter because of that. The only issue I had with them is they don't breath so feel get clammy inside and if your going to be sleeping outside in those temps they'll freeze up on you. I wouldn't consider them a backpack boot but I have backpacker in them plenty.

I have some Baffin pac boots we're required to have in our vehicles when we are crossing ice roads on the North Slope and they are super warm but really suck when walking around long distances though they are great for shoveling the driveway.

Vasque and OBOZ make nice 400 gram boots and Korkers makes a super nice pair of 600 gram boots (that comes with a stud system) called the Polar Vortex. That boot comes in a 1200 gram version as well.

I end up doing a lot of winter camping with my son's Boy Scout troop. Some is backpacking, some is vehicle supported (snow machine or car.) So am familiar with a boot needing to wear multiple hats. My feet get cold as well so I really have to pay attention to the right boot. Other folks I camp with have warm feet and I swear they wear boots I can't get away with.

You can slip cleats on any pair of boots and there are lots of cleat options from a basic walking cleats like a yaktrak to an agressive microspike.

Me personally I am getting the Korkers this year.

The down bootie option could work as well. Even though my feet get cold, it's when I'm not moving. While backpacking they stay warm I guess cause of the blood flow. I carry booties to wear in to public use cabins we often backpack to foe that very reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk