Thread: Ruger tricks

Default Ruger tricks

I just picked up a Ruger 77 mkII, 30/06, in trade. It was like new I doubt if it had been shot outside of the factory test fire. Its stainless with the new style synthetic stock. I'm not really fond of the stock but don't really want to shell out any big money for a replacement as this is going to be a backup/loaner rifle for the most part. I put a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 on top of it. It doesn't really shoot bad, just not great either. I guess its about what I expected of a stock ruger, roughly 1.5-1.75" groups at 100 yards off the bench with 180gr federal classic and just a little better with the Fusion.

With these injection molded plastic stocks is it even worth it to try to float teh barrel and glass bed it? There really isn't much to bed it into with that tuperware stock.

any ideas on quick fixups that might help. THe trigger on this gun isn't half bad. Are there any reasonably priced synthetic stocks out there for the MKII Rugers?

Idealy I would like to get this rifle shooting federal premium 180 HE loads into 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Default I have an old ruger stock

with a Pacmeyer (sp) decelorator but pad on it. My gun with that shot many 1 hole groups at 100yds. My dad and I both upgraded to the hogue stocks with the aluminum bed. His 338 now feels like a my moms 30-06 winchester. My 300 win mag also feels much better and both rifles shoot very good groups still and I still can get all 3 shot to touch in I have fresh shoulder and have not shot a box of shells. Plus at only $200 you can't go wrong. They do add some weight though. Just a thought. I have shot a newer ruger with the newer stocks. Ours were dead from day one even with cheap Simons scopes they came with new from Chimo's. Dad still had his scope on the rifle still. Humm. I see a good birthday gift for him now.

You might need to handload to get it to shoot to it's potential. On my 350 rem mag mk II, I did nothing to it, didn't touch the stock, didn't fix the crappy trigger, and this was my first handload.

In comparison, the rem factory ammo was horrible, grouping around 3".

Since it's a loaner rifle, I wouldn't sweat the accuracy, it is certainly good enough for anyone not serious enough to have their own rifle.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

............ a loaner rifle, I wouldn't sweat the accuracy, it is certainly good enough for anyone not serious enough to have their own rifle.
    I like it. I've owned a lot of rifles like that. Great one liner!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

It stuck with me after a conversation I had with a buddy. He'd loaned his rifle to another guy for a hunt, as the other guy wasn't really a hunter and just needed a gun to go along on a group hunt.

The guys rifle was returned uncleaned, and he didn't bother to at least give the guy a box of ammo or something as thanks for allowing him to use the rifle.

He commented along the lines that anyone not serious enough to have their own rifle, shouldn't be trusted to be loaned one, and really shouldn't be invited on a hunt. There is alot of wisdom in that simple approach.

Now if someone is visiting from outside, and doesn't want to have to travel with a gun, and wants all their checked baggage to be for taking home meat, I would have no problem with loaning them a gun. Or introducing a youth to hunting. But an adult not sufficiently committed to get their own gun, and learn how to use it, well, they can hunt with someone else, or someone elses gun.

Default Same gun

I have the same gun topped with a vxiii in 2.5-8. I had the trigger cleaned up and smoothed and the gun shoots pretty good. I would also like to know a bit more about bedding that particular synthetic stock. Is it possible, worthwile, and prudent?
    I have a couple of rifles on hand extra. My guests get to use them. I did not plan it that way, but if for some reason I am rifle hunting instead of bowhunting, I can only carry one anyway. Normally I am there with them so get to "help" take care of the gun on a daily basis and "help" avoid disaster if possible.

You can bed the ruger tupperware stocks like any other stock. I.e. open up the barrel channel to free float the barrel, and bed the action and first inch of the barrel. You'll want to rough up the plastic with a course sandpaper, and clean the area to be bedded with acetone to get the epoxy to stick.

The way my 350 shoots, I'm not messing with the stock. I've learned just enough about rifles that if it shoots well, don't mess with it!

I'd try other ammo before I started messing with the gun. The cheaper Federal (blue/grey box) and Fusions wouldn't be enough for me to call it a no shooter! I'd buy what you plan to hunt with and go shoot it, my Kimber Montana doesn't like Accubonds or Fusions shoots them to 1 - 1.5 MOA but Nosler P's and TSX's shoot bug holes. Wouldn't start ripping and stripping yet. I'd start by having the trigger worked for the $45 its worth its weight in gold, the Ruger triggers have always sucked from the factory.