Thread: Sausage question....

Default Sausage question....

When you buy traditional style pork link breakfast sausages either in a restaurant or at the store, does anybody happen to know what the main flavor is that we taste? Is it the sage? Reason I ask is that we just had some organic store bought links and although I'm pretty sure that most breakfast sausage recipes use sage, I noticed that this stuff is much more flavorful than the sausage I made using caribou and pork. I'm just curious if I just add more sage to it will I get more of that same flavor? I just tasted some dry sage and didn't think it had much flavor. Does it get more flavorful when it's moistened and heated? Just looking for more of that flavor that we all love! Thanks....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I cant tell without a taste test, bring some over, a few pounds should be enough, and I'll let you know

I believe so.
    I know I love sage in mine.
    I made two kinds of moose breakfast sausage this year.
    A traditional one using a store bought spice mix. To get it how I wanted I doubled the recommended spice.
    Then I made a sweet and spicy by modifying an online recipe.
    I traded the maple syrup for my homemade birch syrup at double the amount. Doubled the crushed red pepper and sage and adjusted the other spices until I was happy with it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

There are so many recipes for breakfast sausage, and all others, out there that it's hard to tell without a taste test which spice it is that you're liking, though sage is a main component in most of the breakfast ones. I always recommend doing small, 5 lb., batches of a number of different recipes to try and hit on what you like best. When I first started I would make 6 or 8 different recipes of the same "type" of sausage, brat/Italian/breakfast/etc., for the first couple years until I narrowed it down and finally hit on the one I like best. I still do a main batch to my taste and try a couple others though just to experiment. Going to be trying up a couple different ones for summer sausage this next time home actually. It'll be my first go round with that.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Give Fennel a smell and see if that is what you like.

Then coriander
    Then cardamom

The "high country" mixes are pretty had to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    .... does anybody happen to know what the main flavor is that we taste?....
    Pork fat maybe

Fennel is commonly used in Italian sausage and I really like it there but I'm not sure I'd try it in breakfast sausage. I generally add pork when making game sausage except when using Blacktail meat. I have good luck with the spice mixes that Alaska Butcher Supply sells but I use them at pretty much double the amount recommended on the package. It would take an awful lot to overseason sausage that you'll be eating as a compliment to other foods.

I think a few of you are on to something regarding amping up the spice level. I've noticed that immediately after mixing in the spices and eating a test batch, the flavor is totally there. So you think you've got it made. But I also feel that the spices mellow out afterward, so it can taste a bit boring by the time you eat it. I first felt this way after mixing the spices with the meat, refrigerating it overnight, and testing it the next day. It mellowed out a lot in that time and I added a bunch more spice mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    I think a few of you are on to something regarding amping up the spice level. I've noticed that immediately after mixing in the spices and eating a test batch, the flavor is totally there. So you think you've got it made. But I also feel that the spices mellow out afterward, so it can taste a bit boring by the time you eat it. I first felt this way after mixing the spices with the meat, refrigerating it overnight, and testing it the next day. It mellowed out a lot in that time and I added a bunch more spice mixture.
    So very true!
    My first batch was of moose breakfast sausage was exactly that way this year.
    Good at first but bland the next time.
    The second batch I doubled the seasoning and it has been good.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Fresh herbs and spices work best and keep their flavor longer than the stuff that has been on your shelf for any more than two years. If you want the same flavor you made when you make your sausage use fresh hebs and spices if at all possible. There is no reason to use five or ten year old dried herbs or spices on fresh meat ever.

EVER.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Fresh herbs and spices work best and keep their flavor longer than the stuff that has been on your shelf for any more than two years. If you want the same flavor you made when you make your sausage use fresh hebs and spices if at all possible. There is no reason to use five or ten year old dried herbs or spices on fresh meat ever.
    This is a good point. Fortunately, I go through most of this stuff and it doesn't last more than a year or so, but it definitely loses its umph over time. This is probably the first thing one should consider if unhappy with the flavor of a spice mix. Keep it in mind with the five year old condiments in the door of your refrigerator, too...