Thread: Break-In

Default Break-In

So I just purchased a new sno-go. And I recognize that "enough snow" is a very big question.

But assuming enough snow, are there convenient places nearby to Los Anchorage to do the recommended low speed break-in period? I'd just as soon not drive too far nor go in interminable circles around the yard.

thanks for any insight
    Back in AK

I'm going to be in the same boat this year. I'm thinking about going to Eklutna and/or Hatcher Pass to ride the road.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningLeverAction View Post
    I'm going to be in the same boat this year. I'm thinking about going to Eklutna and/or Hatcher Pass to ride the road.
    Those are good ideas. Thanks.

Recognizing that it was in the last century since I bought a new machine, I was a bit concerned with having to deal with altitude effects during break-in if Hatcher was the destination.....but since the new machine(s) are fan cooled, probably won't be much of a problem.
    Back in AK

I hadn't considered altitude as a factor. I am not too familiar with how it can affect break-in. My new machine will be a 4-stroke. Do you think altitude will be a problem? Hatcher is about 2,500' and my cabin, where it will spend most of its time, is at 3,000'.

That altitude should have no ill effect on your break in. Every degree below 47F brings the altitude closer to sea level as far as air density is concerned and if you're snowmachine riding it will definitely be colder than 47. If it's 20 degrees at 3000 feet and around standard baro you're down to about 1100 ft. already, as far as your snowmachine is concerned.

Note my comment about not having bought a new machine since the last century....

Altitude doesn't affect break-in per se, but I didn't want to spend significant time changing main jets (with my 87 Cheetah, I got where I could do a change in about 2 minutes ) ....but again, my carbureted sled is aircooled and the other is fuel injected so it shouldn't be a bit deal in any case.
    Back in AK

Petersville road has enough to ride. Again kind of a far drive from Anchorage. Eureka is looking pretty thin at the moment, no idea on Hatcher Pass road, but the mine up there usually keeps the road plowed so keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went xc skiing up at Hatcher on the Palmer side last weekend. The road was plowed past the Fishhook parking lot, and groomed for skiing farther up. There was about a foot, not enough to go off road. I haven't ridden sleds up there in years but I heard you can ride from the gate up to Summit Lake on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningLeverAction View Post
    I went xc skiing up at Hatcher on the Palmer side last weekend. The road was plowed past the Fishhook parking lot, and groomed for skiing farther up. There was about a foot, not enough to go off road. I haven't ridden sleds up there in years but I heard you can ride from the gate up to Summit Lake on the road.
    According to the Park Service, Summit Lake isn't open to snowmachines yet.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/Assets/uploads...port102617.pdf

Thanks for the input and ideas, guys.

Appreciated.
    Back in AK

As long as you have enough snow Pt Mackenzie on the gas line is a great place. They wont open it till there is enough snow though.You can call DNR to confirm it.