Thread: Adding oil

Default Adding oil

Ok I just want to know during a season how on average how many times do you have to add oil to your motor or motors? I had to add oil to both of mine and one took more then the other. It was my seventh time out and when I had to add.. I just curious if that is normal or do I have a potential problem in the future?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Boy

Hard to say. From April 15th to June 10th I was doing three 25 mile trips a week, and one whole week of 25 mile trips and probably added 1/2 quart to the Honda 90. Just added 1/2 quart since then on Sat.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I haven't had to add any extra oil yet. 130 hours on my motor. Changed oil at 10 hours, 23 hours (end of season), and 120 hours.

D
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Oil

Good question and one that I'm going to Deweys today to discuss with them. I have an F115 with 80 hours on it and I end up having to add about 1/2 quart after every two trips (40 miles each). That seems excessive to me on a pratically new engine. The other issue is the color of the oil. Even right after I change it the first time I check it after a run it looks the color of coffee. I checked a buddies motor-same model etc. and his looked the same. Having run Hondas for years I never saw this-oil was never this dark. What is going on here? Is this normal for Yamahas??? The oil in my kicker-8HT Yamaha which I run alot trolling is as clear as when it was new....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I have a Honda 15 HP kicker and use it a lot, but haven't had to add any oil.

I add at least a gallon or so of oil for my Evinrude 250 everytime I fill up!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I add oil on every trip. Of course I have an old two stroke....

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

I have twin 225 Yamahas,had 325 hours when I got it,ran 75 hours last year,never added oil and it looked clean when I changed it last fall.I only run Shell gas.

Default This thread got me thinking

so before heading to homer I checked my oil in my twin T-50's. I have put 86 hours on them at that time since april. They both were exactly at the fill line cold. I was surprised. The motors are a 03 and 04. I remember one time atleast where I added oil one season. Could have been from not getting filter quite full or something, who knows. I still say you can't beat a Yamaha.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Good question and one that I'm going to Deweys today to discuss with them. I have an F115 with 80 hours on it and I end up having to add about 1/2 quart after every two trips (40 miles each). That seems excessive to me on a pratically new engine. The other issue is the color of the oil. Even right after I change it the first time I check it after a run it looks the color of coffee. I checked a buddies motor-same model etc. and his looked the same. Having run Hondas for years I never saw this-oil was never this dark. What is going on here? Is this normal for Yamahas??? The oil in my kicker-8HT Yamaha which I run alot trolling is as clear as when it was new....
    I'm having the same problem. Good to know that I'm not the only one.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have an 03 F115 Yamaha with +/- 240 hrs on it. I change the oil annually & have never had to add any oil to it.

Default Oil

Alaska Gray,

Spoke with Tom at Deweys and here's what he told me. #1 Make sure the motor is horizontal when you check the oil. I had assumed that I should be checking it with the motor tilted completed down. But doing that results in the oil level appearing lower than it actually is. #2 "Full" should be 3/4 of the hatched area, NOT to the top of the hatched area. From our discussion it appears that I have been overfilling (based on not tilting the motor to horizontal and going to the top of the hatched area) and that causes (this is the part I'm unclear on) the oil to be blown out the exhaust. I followed his suggestions and went home and re-checked my oil level (that I thought was low) and it was at exactly 3/4 hatched area. So I'm going to run hard this weekend and then check it on Sunday night. He said he was fairly certain that this was the cause of my problem but if not bring it in and they will look it over. But we shouldn't have to be adding oil to four strokes...

Hope this helps...

dave
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Thanks for the update!!!!!! I will check that out tonight
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile Oil

I have twin yamaha 115's, never had to add between changes (every 50 hrs oil,and gear lube total time 195hrs, great power units and CHEAP to run!!!!!!!!!

I always check my oil with my motor as straigh up and down as possible. That was the head is level. Always checks good.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default hmm...

Im at about 85 hrs on my 150 Yami, better check mine before I head out this weekend.

AH